Page 1 of 2
I get the feelin lots of 'players' round here just buy guitars because 1) They can (IE they're rich) and 2) Because they just like the satisfaction of buying a new guitar.... but they don't really care so much about completely mastering them.

Would I be right in saying this? Yeah I think I probably am.
its only the rich snobby kids that come here and don't sign up for the forums. everyone in the forums does not do this
Who cares, I don't see it affecting your life in any way.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Um. Hard Rock Cafe buys them to stick them on the walls? I think some TGI Fridays do it too.

... Fridays makes a pretty nice steak.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
yea its kinda annoying...
and what does bother me is that when a guitarist whose only played for a year or so, gets like a Gibson SG or a really nice Strat/tele... and they dont even know how to take care of it.
I have no desire to completely master my instrument. There's just so much else out there. But I didn't buy mine just to buy it.
My uncle does this. He collects them but never plays them because he has a job.
I want Super Saiyan abilities
Quote by alternitivebass
Who cares, I don't see it affecting your life in any way.

Yeah, kinda like how this post doesn't affect my original post in any way. Thanks bye.
You sound a hair jealous. Some people enjoy collecting them. Some enjoy unique ones and bargains to play and have fun with. And if you're like me and love guitars and working on them, it's fun to have different ones. I'm at my limit at the moment anyway, as my personal tonal bases are mostly covered.

EDIT: Not defending myself either... only one guitar in my arsenal now I paid over $350 for, so it's not like I have anything worthwhile to anyone else in my "collection" LOL
Last edited by CJRocker at Mar 13, 2009,
I know this rich guy who has a Gibson Les Paul standard and an American Strat in his house and doesn't even play. They are there for decoration.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
You do have a point man, what pisses me off are kids on youtube who are crap yet have Gibsons and Fenders

FUUUUUU-
Guitar collectors too buy guitars and amps just to take care of and admire.

How does it affect your life? People can do whatever they want with the money they earn.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
my friend's dad has like 6 les pauls a couple ibanez's and strats .. and just hangs them in a locked room
I enjoy buying guitars just to buy em. usually I'm looking for something specific, but honestly, I own about 5 more than I need and they're just in different tunings.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Well, not everybody is interested in "mastering it", as you call it. I personally just play for fun. That doesn't stop me from purchasing equipment.

I don't really see a problem with it. If somebody wants a guitar just to hang it on the wall, fine.

Quote by Capt_Clarkson
You do have a point man, what pisses me off are kids on youtube who are crap yet have Gibsons and Fenders

FUUUUUU-

I'm totally crap and I have this really nice and REALLY expensive Fender...
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 13, 2009,
Collectors of musical instruments, as opposed to players of them, are the MAIN reason why any guitars from Gibson's "Golden Era" (i.e. 1954-1964) and Fender's zenith years (pre-CBS, up until 1965) are so expensive. If it was up to us musicians, I think they'd just be old guitars...
My Signal Chain:

Gibson 1974 Les Paul Custom
Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

Nigel will always be 1 louder than you!
Last edited by Zooropean11 at Mar 13, 2009,
ever think that your friends dad probably played guitar like a fiend and the prob met your friends mum after a show...banged her, your friend popped out and now he dosent have time to play because he has to look after his kid by WORKING and wen he aint working...giving it to the wife? some people just get on with life but like to have a reminder of "the good old days" if youd rather they give ther memories to some whiny little brat then i suggest you go live in china.........commie
R.I.P Dimebag Darrell

F**k It dude....Let's go Bowling
Quote by TheQuailman

I am jealous
Quote by Revolution_87
ever think that your friends dad probably played guitar like a fiend and the prob met your friends mum after a show...banged her, your friend popped out and now he dosent have time to play because he has to look after his kid by WORKING and wen he aint working...giving it to the wife? some people just get on with life but like to have a reminder of "the good old days" if youd rather they give ther memories to some whiny little brat then i suggest you go live in china.........commie

I don't have a clue what you just said but

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by TheQuailman
Well, not everybody is interested in "mastering it", as you call it. I personally just play for fun. That doesn't stop me from purchasing equipment.

I don't really see a problem with it. If somebody wants a guitar just to hang it on the wall, fine.

yea but at least you play... thats all that matters
Quote by CJRocker
You sound a hair jealous. Some people enjoy collecting them. Some enjoy unique ones and bargains to play and have fun with. And if you're like me and love guitars and working on them, it's fun to have different ones. I'm at my limit at the moment anyway, as my personal tonal bases are mostly covered.

EDIT: Not defending myself either... only one guitar in my arsenal now I paid over $350 for, so it's not like I have anything worthwhile to anyone else in my "collection" LOL

Hmm.. jealous? No, I wouldn't say so. I just don't understand mindless collectors sometimes. I'm not really the kind of person that would just buy lots of guitars, unless I was a rockstar or my full time career was as a musician - then I understand. For now, one guitar is all I really need.
it annoys me when people say they're gonna play guitar/bass, buy one & then play it once or twice & never again - my brother did this & so did one of my friends!
& it's even more annoying when they get incredibley expensive stuff
Quote by _-Joey-_
it annoys me when people say they're gonna play guitar/bass, buy one & then play it once or twice & never again - my brother did this & so did one of my friends!
& it's even more annoying when they get incredibley expensive stuff

Much more understandable than say the TS.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I wish I could do that, but I need to put money towards amps.

I can sound way better with a G-400 through a JCM 900 than if I had a Gibson SG Standard going through an MG.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by tmfiore
I wish I could do that, but I need to put money towards amps.

I can sound way better with a G-400 through a JCM 900 than if I had a Gibson SG Standard going through an MG.

At least you're on the right track. Most people want a new guitar before anything. You'll be much happier with the JCM and your SG.

AC/DC fan?

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Why do you guys care so much that some shelled out a grand from a guitar when they're just starting if they're actually going to keep playing and trying to get better? Should they get some piece of crap guitar that is going to sound bad and not always work right and doesn't play decently? A guitar that actually makes them not want to play? Granted, some of them do get a bit ahead of themselves but still, why does it matter to you?
I will admit, it does make me a bit jealous when I see someone who has a $700 dollar guitar and $900 stack for their first rig though.

I have bought one of my guitars just because I wanted a new one. Granted, it was only $140.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
I know this one guy that has a Epiphone Les Paul Custom and doesn't even play guitar or tried to.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

I like to expand my tones and settings, i always want a rock/funk guitar and metal guitar. Im buying a new guitar cause my lead guitarist doesnt come from a wealthy family so when i get my new one I can give my ibanez to one of my best friends. And I saved money for a new guitar, i dont just demand my mom buy me a guitar because my familly makes very little compared to most people I know
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R
Quote by MESAexplorer
At least you're on the right track. Most people want a new guitar before anything. You'll be much happier with the JCM and your SG.

AC/DC fan?

I like AC/DC but they are not my total favorite band, lol.

It is just a coincidence I guess, I like SG's better than Les Paul's and the JCM 900 is the best amp I can afford.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Guitar collectors too buy guitars and amps just to take care of and admire.

How does it affect your life? People can do whatever they want with the money they earn.

Give up on these stupid 'They don't affect your life' remarks. Genocides in Africa, Wall Street fraudsters, and **** music blasting out over the radio 24/7 doesn't directly affect my life at all. That doesn't mean I'm not entitled to an opinion, kids.
Quote by Bottle of Dirt
Why do you guys care so much that some shelled out a grand from a guitar when they're just starting if they're actually going to keep playing and trying to get better?
A guitar that actually makes them not want to play?

but if they don't carry on playing then it's just a huge waste of money, if they do fair enough, im okay with that
& if they don't want to play guitar just because of the guitar, should they really be a guitarist?! - i mean, i hate telecasters, but if i had to learn everything all over again, i'd still practise hard with it as much as possible
Quote by TheQuailman

Yeah, but you suck at the guitar.

Point is, I could pick up a ****ty $50 Wallmart guitar and sound fifty times better than you on your 'really nice and REALLY expensive Fender'.
Quote by Revolution_87

Hahaha....

...Maybe you should consider moving yourself to China... they'd probably understand you better than any English person would. Brush up on your language skills.
Quote by Hillz88
Yeah, but you suck at the guitar.

Point is, I could pick up a ****ty $50 Wallmart guitar and sound fifty times better than you on your 'really nice and REALLY expensive Fender'.

Aren't you cool!
Quote by Hillz88
I get the feelin lots of 'players' round here just buy guitars because 1) They can (IE they're rich) and 2) Because they just like the satisfaction of buying a new guitar.... but they don't really care so much about completely mastering them.

Would I be right in saying this? Yeah I think I probably am.

i don't understand why you would care if somebody sucks and buys an expensive guitar - its THEIR money...not yours. its not like they are spending YOUR money, YOUR tax dollars, or anything that belongs to YOU.

hell, if somebody is dumb enough to make a fire with a stack of 100 dollar bills....why would i care? i would look at that person and think "wow...that guy is an idiot...but hell, its their money, not mine"

sounds like you are probably an extremely jealous, possibly above average player that either is very young and has no money to spend or an adult who has a conservative budget. why do you care what other people do with their money? how does it affect your playing, your music, or your life in anyway?

if some idiot drops $2k on his first guitar/amp setup...and quits the next day. that just means some lucky person will be able to buy an amazing "used" guitar/amp someday at a great price. hell, you may even be that lucky person!

i work full time as a veterinarian 40hrs a week/365 days a year. i have have plenty of disposable income that i could do whatever i please with. i also happen to be a relatively new player currently playing on my brother's old fender. however, when i get better, i plan on dropping 2k on a guitar and 1-2k on an amp. does this affect you in any way? is your world going to end now because little me (who obviously sucks compared to you ) will now have better gear than you? is your world going to end? are you going to start crying?
Last edited by sp4zmo at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by _-Joey-_
but if they don't carry on playing then it's just a huge waste of money, if they do fair enough, im okay with that
& if they don't want to play guitar just because of the guitar, should they really be a guitarist?! - i mean, i hate telecasters, but if i had to learn everything all over again, i'd still practise hard with it as much as possible

It's a waste of money for them if they don't but it's not too bad for broke ass people like me when they sell them in a few years for quite a bit less than they paid, it's the circle of life...only I wont sell it until I lose my hands and feet.
If you played on a guitar with pick ups that sounded like crap, a neck that was hard to play on because it was too wide and thick, or too thin and skinny wouldn't you get discouraged from playing if you didn't have friends that played or people to talk to that played? If someone can't play something, it's not always only because of the person. Maybe if they don't want to play because of the guitar it's because they haven't found the motivation to stick it out for a little longer.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Yeah, I don't have a problem with collectors. If you have the money and respect for the objects, go for it. On the other hand, the kids who rape their parents bank accounts at age 13 for a Gibson* and an old-school Marshall* just to quit two weeks later are garbage.

Sure, it doesn't hurt me one bit, but the scenario listed above happens out of sheer stupidity. The kids are too spoiled to want a decent but not at all expensive rig, and the parents don't bother to research exactly what their kid needs to start playing.

*I asterisk'd Gibson and Marshall so that you can replace them with your favorite guitar and amp company. Why I found this necessary, I'm not entirely sure.

EDIT: I just read the comments above about buying the used gear I listed above at a great price. That's a fair upside, I'll agree.
Last edited by HarvesterofPain at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by Bottle of Dirt
It's a waste of money for them if they don't but it's not too bad for broke ass people like me when they sell them in a few years for quite a bit less than they paid, it's the circle of life...only I wont sell it until I lose my hands and feet.
If you played on a guitar with pick ups that sounded like crap, a neck that was hard to play on because it was too wide and thick, or too thin and skinny wouldn't you get discouraged from playing if you didn't have friends that played or people to talk to that played? If someone can't play something, it's not always only because of the person. Maybe if they don't want to play because of the guitar it's because they haven't found the motivation to stick it out for a little longer.

i guess i see what you're saying. if you were only just starting to learn guitar, it's likely you'd think that you're hand/playing would adjust to thick/wide necks/etc... isn't it?
& now that i've played guitars that i like & im used to, i will probably be a bit discouraged to try other guitars with thicker/wider necks/etc. but i still like to try different things, as long as they're not TOO different
& im finding it hard to concentrate now cos im REALLY tired, imma go sleep & maybe check back here tomorrow to see more views on the subject
Who cares if they can't play and have good guitars? You guys make waaay too much a big a deal out of this, shouldn't this be up to the individual?
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
who cares if people buy guitars and dont play them, just makes a sweet deal for me whenever they try to sell it on craigslist for cheap when they get in a money crunch.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Page 1 of 2