Page 1 of 2
Hello UG

I've been playing guitar for some time now, but I'm never satisfied. The reason being, I can't sing well. I've constantly had this debate in my head, can you learn to sing well no matter how bad you are? Or if you're rubbish will you never be able to sing that well?

Hmm. Is it worth me practising?
Just remember this, sometimes the best singing comes from the worst singers. (Bob Dylan, Jack White, etc.)
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Just remember this, sometimes the best singing comes from the worst singers. (Bob Dylan, Jack White, etc.)

But the best singing didn't come from Bob Dylan or Jack White.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

Is Jack White regarded as a bad singer? I think he's fantastic lol
If you practice at something that you seem to have no talent for, you will improve. You won't be an opera singer, but you'll be able to sing rock songs that aren't very vocally demanding. So no Guns N' Roses buddy, sorry.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
YES.

I've learned to sing decently in the span of a month and a half.

I'm amazed. I never thought I'd be able to sing anything decently.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
With practice, yes. In theory.

I have a terrible voice, I realized this when I was taking some voice samples for a song I made, and I heard it for the first time without backing music. I cried.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Different voices for different types of music. If Kurt Cobain sings Aretha Franklin, It'll sound like ass, for example.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
Quote by Powerhouse
If Billy Corgan can score a career in singing, anyone can.

I like smashing pumpkins, but thats pretty funny.
My gear:

Memphis les paul (fixin it up as we speak!)
Schecter C1 plus
Ibanez RX 240 (been sold)
Peavey envoy 110 (Pretty dang good!)
Some washburn acoustic...
Quote by Streetking07
And jack white wasn't a bad singer

Was?
Quote by Twisted Magnum
I'd throw a Marshall MG at him while he succumbs to tone killing gain.

Quote by King Krapp
Spend all $200 on M&M's, then find a friend with an acoustic, and fill the body with them. Why? Because you can.

i think anyone can use their voice to sing well depending on their genre. if you mean in the traditional beautiful voice of angels then no, some people are born with a high pitched, raspy, or rly low voice that they can't really change. it's being able to adapt your own voice to the music or the music adapt to your voice which makes the singer awesome.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Most people can learn, but if you're tone deaf it's gonna take a LOT of work.
Quote by seeneyj
I thought the whole idea of post-hardcore was to mix techno and hardcore.....
Quote by zezimathehero
Most people can learn, but if you're tone deaf it's gonna take a LOT of work.

Stupid question, but how do you know if you're tone deaf
Quote by Waffle*Martini
Stupid question, but how do you know if you're tone deaf

If you have to ask, you'll never know.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Yes, with heavy practice most people will be good eventually. However, one's voice might be more suited for certain genres. For example, put the Green Day dude in Slayer and see how heavy that sounds.
Quote by imdeth
Yes anyone can with practice. Except Kurt Cobain. RIP man.

R.I.P. Kurt.
Quote by Arzei
Yes, with heavy practice most people will be good eventually. However, one's voice might be more suited for certain genres. For example, put the Green Day dude in Slayer and see how heavy that sounds.

yea what he said

ok for my opinion now...................

yea just start with easyer stuff
like green day
anything thats mainstream rock is usualy fairly easy
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
Quote by cho0onger
Different voices for different types of music. If Kurt Cobain sings, It'll sound like ass, for example.

Fix'd
but seriously
you might not be able to do crazy, demanding vocals, but you can be a good singer & build your own style

IMABBALLPLAYER Just remember this, sometimes the best singing comes from the worst singers. (Bob Dylan, Jack White, etc.)

Jack white can sing, bob dylan sounds like his balls are in a sliding door
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by imdeth

Ohhh, you went there sister.
I happen to like his voice.

*gives imdeth some mega evils*
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Anyone can learn to sing in tune!!
Doesn't mean it will sound good though lol

Pink Floyd are hardly the greatest singers on the planet but not many people could argue with their albums sales, aslong as it is tolerable to listen to you'll be fine
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I'd call you a crazy Brit, but your username seems to quite assure your sanity.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Epic username of pure epicness

To: Jesus=ConArtist
Last edited by Jesus=ConArtist at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by Waffle*Martini
RIP dime

I was waiting for that.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
well, you can have a flat or a sharp voice which can provide more obstacles in becoming a better singer and may limit your abilities in the long run. but i think anyone can train their voice to sound good with the right discipline.

...Bob Dylan sucks!
Viking/Folk Metal Group <--Join!
Quote by telemonster
I dont get the whole EMO thing.....kinda like vountering to get your ass kicked.

Quote by Night_Lights
What idiot puts Randy Rhoads and Dimebag above Hendrix in any guitar list?
Quote by Guitarlord44
well they were both better than hendrix
Quote by imdeth

R.I.P Kurt.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by metalderek
R.I.P. Kurt.

AAAAGH DAMMIT!!!! i left the tab open for a long time and my idea was already taken

EDIT: AAAAAAGH DAMMIT!!!! sorry for double post
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Last edited by magnum1117 at Mar 13, 2009,
Anyone can sing, some people just suck at it.
Quote by The Spoon
i wasnt wikipediaing blow job okay, it just happened

Quote by primusfan

one time i fucked a sofa.

Quote by Draken
Freedom of speach?

on a private website?

Based in Russia?

i'm sorry comrade, but you fail.
yes. Anyone can become good at anything with practice..

some take longer than others, and some can never become great without PROPER instruction.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
A big obstacle for singing (for me at least) is the confidence part, i can play guitar in front of lots of people with confidence, i can do banter between songs, but as soon as i have to sing lead vocals my balls shrink, especially since i would usually have to play guitar at the same time, which is also pretty difficult.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I need to learn how to sing, because I can play drums and guitar. I just don't know how to train myself. I was seriously considering buying rock band, and work my way up on the difficulties in the vocal portion.
Quote by donender
A big obstacle for singing (for me at least) is the confidence part, i can play guitar in front of lots of people with confidence, i can do banter between songs, but as soon as i have to sing lead vocals my balls shrink, especially since i would usually have to play guitar at the same time, which is also pretty difficult.

i have to point that .. yea confidence is a HUGE one.

if you're too busy trying to listen to yourself and preoccupied with hitting a bad note.. it'll be difficult to grasp that plateau of sounding natural.

its simply something that'll only come when you can feel comfortable being as loud and accurate as you can.

a big help is just practicing when no one is home where no one, but you, is gonna hear you, so you dont' have to be embarassed for the first 15 minutes of warm up when you can't even get the first 5 notes right
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by drunkinkoala
Everyone can do it, but not everyones voice will sound good.

you can usually do a lot to improve the timbre of your voice, most people with "bad voices" are just doing something wrong.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

Dude, Bob Dylan's a terrible singer...

I don't believe everyone can be GREAT singers, yes you can get good with lots and lots of practice but natural talent does play a role in becoming GREAT singers.
Page 1 of 2