honestly, holy ****. i just saw 3 of his "solos" and they are terrible. sure, he used a tone and playing style nobody used before him, but that doesnt change the fact it sounds like ****. of those videos i watched, a whole quarter of each of them was him adjusting his tone, then the rest of it is just some super slow (not to mention horrid sounding) toying around on his bass.

why the **** does he get so much recognition?
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
You do realise you did not watch prfessional recording most likely and alot of jazz may sound like that, but the theory put into it is amazing. Well everyone is entilted to their own opinion, so you can have yours and I can have mine.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Most of the videos of him playing, especially on youtube, are amateur recordings and done using ****ty cameras. In order for you to properly appreciate his sound you need to hear him on a decent recording because fretless isn't as crystal clear as fretted bass. Also, amateur live recordings of him playing at gigs will also include lots of stuff that's not part of his performance.
Quote by TheTortured
honestly, holy ****. i just saw 3 of his "solos" and they are terrible. sure, he used a tone and playing style nobody used before him, but that doesnt change the fact it sounds like ****. of those videos i watched, a whole quarter of each of them was him adjusting his tone, then the rest of it is just some super slow (not to mention horrid sounding) toying around on his bass.

why the **** does he get so much recognition?

He deserves it.
He really wrote innovative songs and was no slouch on the bass.
about his tone on the camera, okay, i can understand that.

Quote by TheMidasTouch
and was no slouch on the bass.

but, it doesnt change the fact that he's put no effort into writing something even close to technical (i'm not saying it needs to be technical, but if you're going to be doing a solo, something needs to be ****ing technical) and its slow and dreary.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by TheTortured

but, it doesnt change the fact that he's put no effort into writing something even close to technical (i'm not saying it needs to be technical, but if you're going to be doing a solo, something needs to be ****ing technical) and its slow and dreary.

Thats how jazz is sometimes, just look up the weather report he does some technical work in there.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Quote by TheTortured

I see what you are saying. He was probably to drugged up to do anything.
Quote by TheTortured

Ok, everyone is entitled to an opinion... but this statement invalidates yours.
Stop trying to be alternative.
No-one thinks you are cool for not liking him.
Quote by Casketcreep
Ok, everyone is entitled to an opinion... but this statement invalidates yours.
Stop trying to be alternative.
No-one thinks you are cool for not liking him.

I think we should just leave him to his own opinion. I personally like Jaco, but I'd take Victor Bailey over Jaco for Weather Report stuff, it 's all just opinions.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
This is going to quickly become a flame war. This almost comes off as a troll thread, but before I take out the warning flags, I am closing this thread.

[edit] warnings are going out on this after second thought. If a mod closes a thread don't open up a thread on the same subject. That constitutes trolling....