I'm 99.9999% sure I'm going to be buying an Avatar G212H Custom soon. But before I do, I have a few questions. Mainly because I'm a complete speaker cabinet newbie and.. well that's really it.

Ok, Ohms. The options are 4-16Ohm mono or 8-16Ohm stereo. What are ohms? More importantly what do they mean sonically?

Next, speakers. Options:
Celestion Vintage 30
Celestion Greenback
Celestion G12H30
Celestion G12T75
Celestion Classic Lead 80
Hellatone 30
Hellatone 60
Hellatone 60L
Celestion Alnico Blue
Celestion Alnico Gold
Celestion Heritage Series

What is the best of these? Lastly, what's the sound difference in partially-covered and fully-covered?

Thanks for any help.
Good choice with the Avatar.

Ohms, in short mean electrical resistance. They don't serve any tonal purpose.
You need to match up the ohms of the cabinet so that they are the same as the head
you are using.
(If you're using more than one cab, then it gets a little bit more intricate, but unless you are, don't worry about it. Oh, and if you don't match the ohms up properly it can, and will damage your amp. No pressure.)

As for speakers, it sort of depends on what you're playing.
Vintage 30's are the most popular, are perfect for almost all genres, and are a great bang for the bucks.
The other cheaper Celestions are also going to be recommended for more specific tone qualities that I'm unsure of at the moment.
The Hellatone speakers are made by Avatar (or some company involved with Avatar) and are modifications of Celestion speakers.
The Alnico's and heritage series are REALLY expensive, and unless you play alot of crystal clear cleans, and/or have ALOT of money you're willing to spend, then I wouldn't bother really.
What genres do you play?
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Faux~Affliction
Good choice with the Avatar.

Ohms, in short mean electrical resistance. They don't serve any tonal purpose.
You need to match up the ohms of the cabinet so that they are the same as the head
you are using.
(If you're using more than one cab, then it gets a little bit more intricate, but unless you are, don't worry about it. Oh, and if you don't match the ohms up properly it can, and will damage your amp. No pressure.)

Not always, matching ohms is kind of a touchy subject sometimes, it really depends on the amp, generally matching a higher impedance load than the impedance set on the amplifier will not cause any damage, it will usually just sound over compressed and bad in general. Mismatching with a load of lower impedance is generally pretty bad, but it kind of varies on an amp by amp basis. It really depends sometimes, some amps can handle it, others cannot.

As for speakers, it sort of depends on what you're playing.
Vintage 30's are the most popular, are perfect for almost all genres, and are a great bang for the bucks.
The other cheaper Celestions are also going to be recommended for more specific tone qualities that I'm unsure of at the moment.
The Hellatone speakers are made by Avatar (or some company involved with Avatar) and are modifications of Celestion speakers.
The Alnico's and heritage series are REALLY expensive, and unless you play alot of crystal clear cleans, and/or have ALOT of money you're willing to spend, then I wouldn't bother really.
What genres do you play?

That's not true at all, heritage series and AlNiCo Celestions are copies of the old pre-Rola Celestion speakers which are well known for the way they broke up under loud pushed tube amps. They're incredible if you really want that classic rock speaker for Clapton, Page, Hendrix tones. They generally sound much better than the MIC Celestions.

My favorite Celestion speaker combo is a G12H30 Anniversary (the MIC) with a G12H30 Heritage in an X-pattern in a 4x12. The MIC G12H30 is a great speaker but the break in time is just too long for it. The Hellatones do a pretty good job of getting the break in process started, but imo, you need a good 30-40 hours of gigging volume pushed through those to really get the icepick out of the high end.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 14, 2009,
Quote by al112987

That's not true at all, heritage series and AlNiCo Celestions are copies of the old pre-Rola Celestion speakers which are well known for the way they broke up under loud pushed tube amps. They're incredible if you really want that classic rock speaker for Clapton, Page, Hendrix tones. They generally sound much better than the MIC Celestions.

My bad,
I should've worded that differently.
Thanks for correcting my mistake though.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
i mean, the standard celestions aren't good speakers though, but the heritages are pretty big upgrades.

though generally if I could afford the heritage series, I would have already gone for Webers or Scumbacks.
I'm building a new setup from the ground up, so I'll be playing a LP junior through an Orange thunderverb 50, going for a vicious punk sound. Lots of sustain and growl with the ability to really scream.