I stopped listening to Prog for a while and need to get back into it.

Really, the only prog I seem to like is Porcupine Tree (and Rush if you want to label them as Prog.) I can't stand Yes, Pink Floyd, or Opeth. Can someone help me find a band?
Quote by enselmis
Dream Theater!!!!!!

Eh, I gave them a shot. I love Metropolis Pt: 2 but that's really it.

Oh I forgot to mention Coheed is one of my favorite bands so no need to suggest them. As well as, Mars Volta, Radiohead, and Sigur Ros.
I definitely recommend Dream Theater. I would also have recommended Opeth, but you ruled that out. Was it the vocals? If so, try songs like Burden by Opeth.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by MetalGS3SE
I definitely recommend Dream Theater. I would also have recommended Opeth, but you ruled that out. Was it the vocals? If so, try songs like Burden by Opeth.

It wasn't so much the vocals but the metal. I like some metal but I just wasn't feeling it. I like Opeth but not to a point where they would go on my iPod.
It wasn't so much the vocals but the metal. I like some metal but I just wasn't feeling it. I like Opeth but not to a point where they would go on my iPod.

Fair enough. I didn't like them so much when I first heard them, but I listened to them every now and then and eventually they grew on me. Since then, I've been hooked.

I P R O G

Quote by MetalGS3SE
Fair enough. I didn't like them so much when I first heard them, but I listened to them every now and then and eventually they grew on me. Since then, I've been hooked.

Maybe I ought to give them another listen then.....

By the way, nice Subdivision's quote in your sig there. Subdivisions is my favorite song of all time.
Quote by The_Paranoia
Maybe I ought to give them another listen then.....

By the way, nice Subdivision's quote in your sig there. Subdivisions is my favorite song of all time.

That's good, I was actually going to suggest some Rush

I P R O G

Quote by MetalGS3SE
That's good, I was actually going to suggest some Rush

Rush is my favorite band, no need for suggestions Seen em live twice as a matter of fact.

@ the guys above: I will check them out tonight.
King Crimson
█████████████████████████
Quote by The_Paranoia
Anyone know of any "chilled/spacey" Prog? Like the Voyage 34 Porcupine Tree sorta stuff?

There is a lot of Omar Rodriguez-Lopez stuff that is like that. I'm sure you know who that is already though...
Quote by Psychopathology
Flower Kings, King Crimson, ELO.

ELO... Prog?

Maybe very little of the early stuff but that's it. Very un-prog.

Small writing in the middle of big sig.

how do you not like Pink Floyd/Opeth?

Anyway, try Ne Obliviscaris (progressive black metal, I think you'd like As Icicles Fall and Forget Not off their Aurora Veil demo, Tapestry is probably gonna be too metal for you). 3 is good too. Also, can't believe nobody suggested Between the Buried and Me.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
... Queensryche?

If you can get your hands on the Operation: Mindcrime album then you'll be hooked.
Quote by Spectromerepere
There is a lot of Omar Rodriguez-Lopez stuff that is like that. I'm sure you know who that is already though...

I love Omar.

I'll check out the rest of those bands tonight
Ok so I'm gonna suggest Austin TV for you. They're kinda underground, but you should find their album Fontana Bella. They're Mexican instrumental kinda post rock with a lot of latin and progressive influence. They're pretty original, which I find cool. You'll hear some Volta stuff and some pop elements too.

Battles. This is a band I'm just getting into, but they're experimental like crazy. they use a lot of loops and the drummer is top notch. You gotta check it out for yourself. Look up the song "Tonto"

Look up Gong. Its a 70's english band, part of the Canterbury scene. The frontman Daevid Allen is inventive and weird as hell. You should check out "You" and "Angels Egg"

Kahn is a psychedelic band from the 70's. Its considered space rock, but it sounds pretty straight up. Look up the album "Space Shanty"

Van der Graaf Generator is a symphonic sort of prog band from the Canterbury scene. They were at the forefront (or at least had the most exposure) of the scene. Look up "Pawn Hearts" Some of the stuff Peter Hammill writes is just beyond ****ed up.
last.fm[/url}
Quote by HelpTravesty
Ok so I'm gonna suggest Austin TV for you. They're kinda underground, but you should find their album Fontana Bella. They're Mexican instrumental kinda post rock with a lot of latin and progressive influence. They're pretty original, which I find cool. You'll hear some Volta stuff and some pop elements too.

Battles. This is a band I'm just getting into, but they're experimental like crazy. they use a lot of loops and the drummer is top notch. You gotta check it out for yourself. Look up the song "Tonto"

Look up Gong. Its a 70's english band, part of the Canterbury scene. The frontman Daevid Allen is inventive and weird as hell. You should check out "You" and "Angels Egg"

Kahn is a psychedelic band from the 70's. Its considered space rock, but it sounds pretty straight up. Look up the album "Space Shanty"

Van der Graaf Generator is a symphonic sort of prog band from the Canterbury scene. They were at the forefront (or at least had the most exposure) of the scene. Look up "Pawn Hearts" Some of the stuff Peter Hammill writes is just beyond ****ed up.

Thank you so much! This is the kind stuff I've been looking for. Battles is like THE Prog band I've been looking for.
Tool.

/Mostly thread
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Recommended albums in parens

Pain of Salvation (One Hour By the Concrete Lake or Remedy Lane)

Ayreon (The Human Equation)

Everygrey (Recreation Day)

Van Der Graaph Generator (Pawn Hearts)

Spock's Beard (Snow)

Zero Hour (Towers of Avarice)

Savatage (Dead Winter Dead)

That's enough for now, I could go on and on.
Cynic is really good.

I don't know if you would TOTALLY consider them prog or not, more like technical metal with progressive attributes....
Quote by mcrocks
I mean, some people still think that Rap is music, although that's been scientifically discredited.