Alot of people I tlk to who own 7 strings say they dont down tune like drop C I dont understand this, when I get my 7 string I will tune to drop C, My question is why dont alot of people down tune with 7 strings?
Because, you already have a low B string
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Shit, this is pure win. You can have my interwebz, I was saving them for a rainy day.

^about my halloween costume
Quote by steee21
a sport

Quote by hriday_hazarika
Oh, so it's sorta like real-life gaming, then?
Seriously?

Like, really?

You don't need to. Your Drop C stuff is accounted for by the low B string. Of course, there are some bands that tune to Drop A or lower, (Cannibal Corpse, Korn, etc), but it's only because they are rly brootalz.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
drop C is like the only tuning you really cant recongrifure to fit on a 7 string. So I just leave my 6 in drop c.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
Quote by master2sexy
Because, you already have a low B string

Actually I agree with the TS on this. Just because you have 5 extra lower notes it is no excuse to not downtune.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
B is lower than C...
Thus any song in Drop C, can be played on the 7 string.
At least that would be my reasoning..?
Quote by woodsballplayer
drop C is like the only tuning you really cant recongrifure to fit on a 7 string.

CCGcfad
or
GCgcfad
Quote by DartS17
CCGcfad
or
GCgcfad

That G would be way too ****ing floppy/inaudible. It's only a halfstep above F#, and that's the lowest note on an 8-string. I'm more than comfortable playing on the first fret of my 7th string than tuning the whole guitar in some assbackwards fashion.

I've never understood the point of tuning down anyway, it doesn't make songs sound heavier, it just makes them sound lower, and it's getting ridiculous. Whenever I hear 8-string players that tune F#BEADGBE, I can't really tell what's going on musically on that low note because of all the distortion, and the fact that it's really low. I have nothing against 8-strings, because I'm getting one in on Wednesday, but I'm going to tune it BEADGBEA.

A point does exist where it all just becomes noise.
if you don't understand how seven strings are tuned I don't think you should buy one yet.

The guitar comes set up from the factory in B standard.

BEADGBe

so if your going to be tuning to drop C, a seven string is not for you, because then there would just be an extra string in the way of the heavy chugga-chugga palm mutes Id assume youd be playing.

^ and the point where it becomes noise relies entirely on your speakers/setup IMO and also I think it does make it heavier and lower, which is also affected by the length of the guitar. A seven string is usually 27" i believe? waaayyy more tone if set up right.
Quote by Tedward

^ and the point where it becomes noise relies entirely on your speakers/setup IMO and also I think it does make it heavier and lower, which is also affected by the length of the guitar. A seven string is usually 27" i believe? waaayyy more tone if set up right.

Length only applies to string tension. My 7 is 25.5", but my 8 is 28.625" because it's meant to have thicker strings who would be too tense at a shorter scale length.

I can definitely see how tuning down a halfstep or two can make a song feel heavier, but as I said after 2 full steps, you're crossing the line. C standard is where I'd say you max out (maybe drop C), but that guy was talking about tuning drop G which is ****ing absurd. There are people who tune to drop A on six string, which is also just ridiculous. Get a 7-string already.
some of us think that tuning enough strings down just gets absurd. especially if you have a faviorte guitar that you use alot. it's a pain to drop tune and then tune up to standard. I just play in standard. That's why i got a seven string, to play lower without retuning every five minutes.
i tune my 7 string to GCGCFAD and it sounds ****ing aawesome. yeah its a little low on that low G but **** it sounds heavy. And i can still use the drop c position that im familiar with.
The prehistoric golden age of man

tune it CGCFADG
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Drop C on a 7 String is dumb IMO ..
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Quote by GorillaSalsa
Length only applies to string tension. My 7 is 25.5", but my 8 is 28.625" because it's meant to have thicker strings who would be too tense at a shorter scale length.

I can definitely see how tuning down a halfstep or two can make a song feel heavier, but as I said after 2 full steps, you're crossing the line. C standard is where I'd say you max out (maybe drop C), but that guy was talking about tuning drop G which is ****ing absurd. There are people who tune to drop A on six string, which is also just ridiculous. Get a 7-string already.

You are aware that you list in your favourite bands Sikth who regularly tune down to G#, yes?

Either way, tuning down doesn't make you heavy, not by a long shot, but lower tunings can do good things for the sound of a band, Meshuggah just doesn't sound right unless you're tuned to F.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
All of you saying "why tune drop C when you have a low B" are idiots. It's all about economy of motion and ease of play. It's much easier to hit an open C than the first fret B string if you're shredding some metal riff.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Last edited by Vampire 255 at Mar 8, 2010,
Quote by Dellinger1988
Drop C on a 7 String is dumb IMO ..

well i use it in my band and it sounds good to me.

Quote by GorillaSalsa
What? Tension goes UP with longer scale lengths no down.

Any way this thread has been necro bumped from over a year,

reported for the close.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
What? Tension goes UP with longer scale lengths no down.

Any way this thread has been necro bumped from over a year,

reported for the close.

sucks bro