Page 1 of 2
I feel like a spoilt **** at the moment. I have a drumkit, two acoustics (one **** one and one AMAZING one), an electric guitar and an amp and I've only been playing for 3-4 years and now I want a god damned damn Marshal half stack.

My dad doesn't see anything wrong with my current amp (P.O.S.) and thinks $1400 is a lot for an amp. Heres my current argument.

"This will be the last thing I will ever have to buy for music EVER. I've got good guitars but a **** amp. I'm paying for it all myself and then I'm saving up for my car"

That's the best I've got.

What do you think? Since I'm paying for it myself (kinda) I don't think they should be able to stop me buying it.
what is your current amp?

edit:
"This will be the last thing I will ever have to buy for music EVER. I've got good guitars but a **** amp. I'm paying for it all myself and then I'm saving up for my car"
I'm sure you've said that before...you need a better reason. I can't tell you why you need a new amp. If you think you need a new amp then you should know why.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Last edited by Psalm 150:4 at Mar 13, 2009,
woahwoahwoah. Paying for it and paying for it (kinda) are completely different. If it involves them giving you money, then they've got every right to refuse.
"We were one among the fence"
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!
You'll have two amps and one electric, and you think you'll never want to buy another guitar? *doubtful*

Quote by Final !mpact

Since I'm paying for it myself (kinda)

and please explain this...
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by asator
You'll have two amps and one electric, and you think you'll never want to buy another guitar? *doubtful*

and please explain this...

Birthday. They give me a few hundred for my birthday, I work my tits off at work and pay them back. So really they just give me a loan for my birthday.

I'll also be selling the **** amp.
Last edited by Final !mpact at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by The_Paranoia
If you're paying 100% for it, then buy it. If your parents have to give you money, its their call.

QFT, incredible statement at the pit! this made my day...

if it's your cash, you can spend it the way you like... and if you want to buy 500 dildos and shovel'em up your ass, since its your money, no one should say anything against it!
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
...so pay them back. I dont see the problem here.
"We were one among the fence"
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!
unless your gigging and making money off your music i see no need to go out and buy a world class setup
Quote by Insanitydenied
...so pay them back. I dont see the problem here.

My dad thinks my current amp is perfectly fine. It is complete ****. I've been offered to join a few bands but I've declined because my amp sounds like ****. Its buzy, thin, frizzy, mid-scooped tone makes me what to kick a baby.
Buy it yourself.

Don't need an excuse that way. Plus for some reason it makes me mad when parents give kids money to just ****ing spend on whatever. Personally I think it's better to buy yourself because It makes you feel good about youself. I have bought everything related to fun in my life. ie. I bought my PS3, all the games for it, My Jackson, My Epi les paul Custom, my amp, my Crybaby from hell, my tv, my lessons, everything, and personally I enjoy being able to say I bought It all myself.
My Gear
Jackson Pro Series DK2M
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX AD50VTXL Valvetronix Amp
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell

Originally Posted By iron_maiden93

He wants to rape us....He raped me

Last edited by Avengethedeath at Mar 13, 2009,
Yeah, my parents think that $300 is too expensive for an amp. And after they got me my first guitar, they said they were never gonna buy me anything expensive guitar related again.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Situations like this can only be solved via a deathmatch.
Yea i agree with arzhang if your not gigging and if your not in a bad thats gigging and you you think you can play but we here at ug all know you cant then theres no ****in need for a new amp you spoiled bitch!ive been playing 15 years im still using the same pratice amp i got when i started playing intill it dies there no need for a new one. WHEN YOU CAN PLAY LIKE YNGWIE MALMSTEEN OR MICHAEL ANGELO BATIO THEN YOU CAN GET A NEW AMP INTILL THEN STOP ASKING!! O and I doubt any one here will dissagree with me you dont need a world class setup and if your parents are paying for it let them deny your new amp they work for the money and you dont GET A JOB! if your going to pay for it yourself (which I doubt because you prolly have know job) then you have the right to get one! So short story short in till you can shred and play some real music then you can get a new amp and if any one wants to callenge that o well!
Quote by youngncy
Yea i agree with arzhang if your not gigging and if your not in a bad thats gigging and you you think you can play but we here at ug all know you cant then theres no ****in need for a new amp you spoiled bitch!ive been playing 15 years im still using the same pratice amp i got when i started playing intill it dies there no need for a new one. WHEN YOU CAN PLAY LIKE YNGWIE MALMSTEEN OR MICHAEL ANGELO BATIO THEN YOU CAN GET A NEW AMP INTILL THEN STOP ASKING!! O and I doubt any one here will dissagree with me you dont need a world class setup and if your parents are paying for it let them deny your new amp they work for the money and you dont GET A JOB! if your going to pay for it yourself (which I doubt because you prolly have know job) then you have the right to get one! So short story short in till you can shred and play some real music then you can get a new amp and if any one wants to callenge that o well!

Quote by phoenix_88
that's because it is.

Yeah I know.
Quote by youngncy

Whoa! You have been playing for 15 years, and you say that shredding and playing "real music" is grounds for getting a good setup? Doesn't that mean that just about everyone on UG who can play fast needs their own Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier?

Edit: And apparently, according to your profile, Slipknot is what you call "real music."
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Last edited by Xeron Brigs at Mar 13, 2009,
Quote by youngncy

God you're stupid.
Tell them, "The money is going to be spent. It's going to be spent on an amp or a sex change operation. You decide."
^Xeron Brigs has a point!
My Gear
Jackson Pro Series DK2M
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX AD50VTXL Valvetronix Amp
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell

Originally Posted By iron_maiden93

He wants to rape us....He raped me

Quote by youngncy

You should've spent more time practicing grammar than guitar.
ಠ_ಠ
Don't worry about just getting the money for your birthday and paying them back, just save the money by working and buy it yourself.
Quote by fretsonfire74
Don't worry about just getting the money for your birthday and paying them back, just save the money by working and buy it yourself.

This, it's a bit longer, but then your parents can't complain at all. You've already waited a while, how much would it hurt to wait a bit longer?
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by phoenix_88
that's because it is.

considering JVM's are 1400 for just the head
not so much...
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Quote by gucio93
This, it's a bit longer, but then your parents can't complain at all. You've already waited a while, how much would it hurt to wait a bit longer?

I agree. Plus, your parent's can't really tell you not to purchase the amp you want with your money.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
You could find an amp to get the job done for far less. I also suggest looking for used ads. Of course it would be great to get a shiny new amp, but it would be more beneficial to you to find a cheaper alternative. Your dad is probably mostly concerned with the extreme price tag, it's often difficult for people to understand the prices within certain hobbies they don't have much knowledge of.

What is your current amp, how much did it cost, and through what means did you get it? If your parents paid for your current amp and it was a bit expensive, they certainly wouldn't appreciate you ditching it and upgrading.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
1. buy a car
2. get a job
3. ????
4. Profit!!!
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Maybe your mum and dad are just being considerate.

They probably think you're shit at the guitar so they don't want to contribute towards you buying yet more equipment.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Maybe your mum and dad are just being considerate.

They probably think you're shit at the guitar so they don't want to contribute towards you buying yet more equipment.

OUCH! that must have hurted!
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by fretsonfire74

I felt a bit **** after reading this thread. Went and bashed the **** out of my drum kit and came to that conclusion. I'm going to save 'till Christmas and then buy the amp and a car.

EDIT: The reason I wanted to buy this big, expensive, shiney amp is because I'm sick of upgrading my amp only to want something better after a few years of playing it.

Quote by kylepianoman
1. buy a car
2. get a job
3. ????
4. Profit!!!

Got a job.

Saving for car + amp.

???

Fuck off!!!

Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR

What is your current amp, how much did it cost, and through what means did you get it? If your parents paid for your current amp and it was a bit expensive, they certainly wouldn't appreciate you ditching it and upgrading.

My parents baught it for me for Christmas in 2007. It cost $350 I think.
Last edited by Final !mpact at Mar 13, 2009,
Do you need it?
I mean, are you playing gigs where you need more volume or do you just feel like a half stack?
I think you should wait, because how do you know this same thing isn't going to happen down the line when you don't like your Marshall?
damn i kinda hate you, im broke as **** and so are my parents. im having trouble trying to get myself a ****ing epiphone...luckyasss be content.
newbiee
Quote by Guitarfreak217
Do you need it?
I mean, are you playing gigs where you need more volume or do you just feel like a half stack?
I think you should wait, because how do you know this same thing isn't going to happen down the line when you don't like your Marshall?
He's already stated that he turned down gigging with bands because his amp wasn't loud enough or too sh*t.
Quote by leephan
He's already stated that he turned down gigging with bands because his amp wasn't loud enough or too sh*t.

Both.

I'm going to save up all year or until I'm fired/quit and then buy a car and spend the rest on the amp.
Quote by Final !mpact
My parents baught it for me for Christmas in 2007. It cost $350 I think.

I'm betting that's it. To someone not really in the know as far as guitar gear goes (even so to many who are), spending that much that recently would seem to be quite a big investment, and looking to buy something triple the cost a little over a year later...you got to see where they're coming from.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Your parents are stuck listening to a half stack all day. It sucks that you can't buy it, but my parents would do the same.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
I'm betting that's it. To someone not really in the know as far as guitar gear goes (even so to many who are), spending that much that recently would seem to be quite a big investment, and looking to buy something triple the cost a little over a year later...you got to see where they're coming from.

I completely understand where they're coming from. It's alright I've decided against the amp and stick to the car first. I really would like to be able to have a band/gig worthy amp but I guess it can wait.
Quote by youngncy

Super obvious troll.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Page 1 of 2