I here so many conflicting veiws about left hand position and guitar placement.

First of all, I want to play rock guitar, so, should I be resting it on my right or left knee?
A lot of people say classical (Left knee) position is always better, but a lot of people say do whatevers most comfortable, so im unsure.

Also, im unsure if where I should place my thumb. I keep hearing "Face it straight up into the air and make sure you palm does touch the neck" but I find that very uncomfortable. I tend to end up with my thumb almost parallel to the guitar neck.
I find if I play with my guitar on my left leg (classical) it's easier to play standing up. There's also this thread in the advanced techniques forum atm about which leg you might find interesting

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1084679

I've always heard your thumb should be in the middle of the back of the neck angled slightly towards the headstock, which is about where mine sits except when I'm bending or doing vibrato...
whatever feels comfy... try different positions, also playing standed up... and the one taht alows to play comfortable and easily is the one FOR YOU. as everyone's bodies are different, there isn't a "correct way" to place your hand or guitar (except the right hand technique, that has a somewhat perfect technique) ... it is all about you... i think that is the best advice i can give, 'cause i had the same question a while ago, and this helped me to find my comfy position...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
whatever feels comfy... try different positions, also playing standed up... and the one taht alows to play comfortable and easily is the one FOR YOU. as everyone's bodies are different, there isn't a "correct way" to place your hand or guitar (except the right hand technique, that has a somewhat perfect technique) ... it is all about you... i think that is the best advice i can give, 'cause i had the same question a while ago, and this helped me to find my comfy position...

I have to respectfully disagree. I think good habits are the foundation of being a better player and in the long run it will be beneficial. There is no absolute "right" or "wrong" way to play guitar but slacked or sloppy hand positions can get in the way later on and unlearning a bad habit is a bitch.

TS, You will get used to it and it will become more comfortable with a bit of practice. For knee positions I have not noticed a significant difference between players who use either. I grew up playing classically but I usually only use classical when playing acoustic now due to problems with my back.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
There is no "right" way. Just find a way that is most comfortable to you and make it your own style.