So i picked up an EPiphone VJ Head this morning. I tried it for little over an hour, and loved the warm sound that it produces. It was on sale, so even more reason to buy it. Now i just gotta get a Bad Monkey.

I was also looking for a cheap cab, and luckily i found a Randall 4x12 cab for 45% off.
so i bought that too.

Heres some pics...

VJ Head

Randall Cab (Love the ball)

Head+Cab (The ball again)

Family Shot

Im definately going to get a Bad Monkey, are there any other pedals that go great with the VJ?

sorry for huge pics
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
grats on your first tube mate

hope its the start of a massive and loving family.

maybe an eq? am not sure, but just for a different sound.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
they take pedals well
going by that Ibanez you'll probably need a distortion pedal for heavier stuff
the bad monkey will boost it nicely though
EQ's are popular with those too
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Ooh, a Valve Junior and a nice cab. I was considering that kind of thing but with an EQ pedal for a while. In the end I just decided to get a full-size tube combo, but I still love Valve Jr's.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
That's a pretty sweet looking cab you've got, there.
MXR 10 band EQ or Graphic Fuzz for 6band EQ and Fuzz effect.
I see Ibanez and I always think of Vai's Gemini pedal. I don't know why but it sounds awesome for $200.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
why would you buy a digital overdrive pedal?

also, how is the 5w pushing that huge cab? does it sound ok?
congrats man!
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
the bad monkey is an analog overdrive pedal, and congrats on your new amp. that is one slick looking cab. Hows the VJ sound through it?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by RHCPFitz
why would you buy a digital overdrive pedal?

Why not? They can be used just as effectively as a boost.

TS, an EQ pedal works wonders with these, as does a good simple distortion pedal if you need it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
nice looking rig man, congratz
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Yeah the cab sounds great.

Also:

Are the mods to the head very hard to do? Im not experienced in electrics, and dont want to stuff something up.

Would a few pedals be better than doing the mod?

Thanks

Quote by Danyg
Congrats on the amp
BUT: If you live in europe i have a great (and cheap) alternative to that bad monkey. It's basically a handbuilt tubescreamer clone with more gain and more bass. check it out at www.asselton.de . You just write him a mail of what you want and you get it
Check it out on youtube ( asselton overdrive ).
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

Quote by Yngwi3

Bigger/louder/more watts =/= Better quality.
how does the valve jr compare to the vypyr? it seems like at that price range, you can choose between either a modelling amp with tons of features and decent tone, or a barebones tube amp with no features. which do you prefer?

oh, and hnad!
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
how does the valve jr compare to the vypyr? it seems like at that price range, you can choose between either a modelling amp with tons of features and decent tone, or a barebones tube amp with no features. which do you prefer?

oh, and hnad!

speaking with hindsight, the VJ. i got bored with the 'ossim features' on my moddelling amp, now i have a simple tube amp which i love
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Very nice. I have cab envy. If you have the V3 head don't bother with mods unless there is something specific your going for. V3 is pretty much updated to address the short comings of the V1 & V2. Go with an EQ first. You'll be amazed at what it will do for it. I'm not a big fan of the Bad Monkey. A Wampler SuperPlextortion will get you into 80's metal easily enough and probably heavier (I never do the death metal thing so not real sure how heavy it will get). Another pedal that gets along well with the Vj is a Skreddy Lunar Module fuzz. Between these 2 i have all the od/distortion/fuzz I need. I also have a POD XT Live and an H2O chorus/echo plugged in. There isn't much I can't do with this setup.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
The sad thing is, the Vypyr probably sounds better and is infinitely more versatile.
Quote by Horlicks
The sad thing is, the Vypyr probably sounds better and is infinitely more versatile.

With that cab and the right pedals, very unlikely.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
nice dude. I love those little guys

they sound good with damn near any pedal.

(i'll admit it.. i got a tone i liked with a metal zone on the VJ)

oh the shame...
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Lefty Guitarist
Buy EQ, then Dist/Overdrive/fuzz, then wah, then phase, flange, and chorus.

lol.......................get ready for a bad case of GAS!!!! Eq and reverb are a must. the bad monkey is a good pedal for clean boost and does it very well. order you a new pre and power tube you will like the results! and find a od that that you like i use a HBE Power Screamer and a russian big muff and i tell ya the big muff sounds damn good. Congrats and good luck!
The cleans on the VJ sound so much better than the Vypyr. The cab probably helps that a bit. I play alot of clean stuff so that was very important to me.

Yes, the Vypyr is alot more versatile, but i was going to buy a tube amp one day, so why not get some nice pedals now that i can use with all future amp upgrades?

So far i love it, and with the pedals, im sure to love it even more.

Thanks for all the suggestions and compliments.

Quote by Danyg
HNAD
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Nice cab with that VJ!!! I actually think Randall cabs are great for the price, very close sounding to my friends Mesa Recto cab.

For the distortion on the VJ, you should either go with a simple OD, like, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS9, or even a Boss DS-1. I have also seen people running their processors through them, like, Rockton's Utopia's, Line 6 Live, or even a Digitech.

With that one power tube, you will be surprised on the tone you can get from it.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by Robino_Ibanez

oh, and hnad!

It honestly doesn't compare. They are so vastly different.

VJs are easily moddable to an amazing sounding piece of kit. If you were buying a VJ, I'd budget for mods, and/or pedals, like an MI crunch box or Fulltone OCD so you have clean boost and distortion available. Delay or reverb also doesn't go astray.

Vypyrs are versatile, but not nearly as toneful. If you want something to mess around on, this is it. It'll also be better value in terms of sounds. If you want the VJ to produce even clean + distorted with an echo effect the cost shoots up. BUT, the VJ with some good pedals and a couple of mods will give you great tone, whereas the Vypyr will never really reach that same level.
Quote by ljohn
It honestly doesn't compare. They are so vastly different.

VJs are easily moddable to an amazing sounding piece of kit. If you were buying a VJ, I'd budget for mods, and/or pedals, like an MI crunch box or Fulltone OCD so you have clean boost and distortion available. Delay or reverb also doesn't go astray.

Vypyrs are versatile, but not nearly as toneful. If you want something to mess around on, this is it. It'll also be better value in terms of sounds. If you want the VJ to produce even clean + distorted with an echo effect the cost shoots up. BUT, the VJ with some good pedals and a couple of mods will give you great tone, whereas the Vypyr will never really reach that same level.

I see. Yeah whenever a friend asks me which amp to get for cheap, I can never decide whether to tell them to get a small, barebones tube amp or a good, feature-heavy modeller. I liked the Blackheart Little Giant alot when I tried it for blues and rock. On the other hand, despite being a huge satch fan, I found the Mini Colossal to be overpriced and dull (my friend was surprised when I told him it was tube).
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Congrats on your VJ head, got one myself (V3) for about 50 Bucks and running it with the Valve JR 1x12 Cab.
As i write this im in school and got one lesson left and then i can get home to play my new pedal that arrived this morning.

I bought a Way Huge Swollen Pickle Fuzz, so im looking forward to it.

Enjoy the Valve Junior!
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
I see. Yeah whenever a friend asks me which amp to get for cheap, I can never decide whether to tell them to get a small, barebones tube amp or a good, feature-heavy modeller. I liked the Blackheart Little Giant alot when I tried it for blues and rock. On the other hand, despite being a huge satch fan, I found the Mini Colossal to be overpriced and dull (my friend was surprised when I told him it was tube).

I've also heard that about the Mini Colossal.

My rig consists of my heavily modded VJ, 2x12 cab, then a Vox Wah, MI Crunch Box copy, Bad Monkey (sometimes) and a Boss DD7. I get the ambient sounds I want, the Marshally distortion (sounds amazing), chimey warm cleans, and the Wah. Simple but effective. And the DD7 is such a good addition to a pedal board. Very versatile. The time and money I've spent on it though is much more than the monetary value of the VJ alone, but it was so worth it.

The Vypyr would be a better option for friends still finding their style or who like to change their tone up. You could recommend a VJ and a multiFX processor as well, if you were going to use the VJ down the track, otherwise it's still cheaper and less hassle to go for the Vypyr, or another modelling amp.
Quote by Darkflame
how loud is that amp, could you practice with a drummer with the head in the 4x12 cab? (i wanna get rid of my practice crate head and replace it with something a bit better :p)
happy new amp day =) hope you enjoy it a lot

Its loud. Not sure whether its loud enough to compete with drums (I havent been able to test that), but im really suprised by the amount of volume this thing has in it.

Quote by Danyg
what kind of les paul is that??? can you tell me the exact model name?

i've never seen a flame top epi with binding before... maybe its just the picture..
haha the epi.

its a LP studio model. I didnt have enough for the standard so i got the studio. Then i just bought the binding and white Pickup cover, Pickgaurd.. all that. Installed it all myself and saved a fair amount of money.

Quote by Danyg
Quote by DiizZ
haha the epi.

its a LP studio model. I didnt have enough for the standard so i got the studio. Then i just bought the binding and white Pickup cover, Pickgaurd.. all that. Installed it all myself and saved a fair amount of money.

^+1

PRO thank you
Quote by DiizZ
haha the epi.

Did the samething with my Epi, now it looks as good as it sounds.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}