So i went to my local music store today and sat down at got to know the high gain giant known as the Peavey 6505+ head. I must say i was blown away. The overdrive was so crisp and clear, yet so punchy and dynamic, and responded very differently to different guitars, which is a good thing. Even in the midst of playing on the lead channel with high gain, i could hear such a difference between the Duncan Jb and 59 in a ESP Eclipse to a explorer loaded with EMGs.

Not that im not sure a lot of you already knew that, i write this thread because i hear some people complain that the amp does not have good cleans, or that it is not versatile. In my time of playing around, i found an array of different tones just by messing with the gain and my guitars volume pot, from Zep to van halen to metallica this amp could handle any era of rock music you throw at it.

As for the cleans, i thought the amp was more then feasible with the clean sound you can get from the head. I am not certain, but the 6505 head is 100w atleast i believe, so lots of headroom. I put a reverb pedal into the mix and viola! i could swear i was close to sounding like a fender.

Besides the reverb, i ran this amp raw dog, not EQs or effects or anything. Though i am sure adding an eqaulizer would only add to the beauty the sound this particular amp produces.

I am sold on what my next amp is going to be, your guys thoughts?
i <3 my 5150 II
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
your opinion of course, I don't think it sounds very good at all, and certainly not anything like Zeppelin. The voicing is just completely off for classic rock. Not saying it's a bad amp, but it is not versatile at all imo.
Quote by al112987
your opinion of course, I don't think it sounds very good at all, and certainly not anything like Zeppelin. The voicing is just completely off for classic rock. Not saying it's a bad amp, but it is not versatile at all imo.

It can pull off Zeppelin but you NEED to EQ it right, a nice axe with the right pups, and roll off the guitars volume.

I think it can pull off a bunch of different types of music, but you do need to work with it some.

As for metal, i find you need to get the volume up there for some of that fizzyness to go away, i find. That irritates the crap out of me, which is why i prefer the XXX's.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
do you remember your settings?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by bjovi400
It can pull off Zeppelin but you NEED to EQ it right, a nice axe with the right pups, and roll off the guitars volume.

I think it can pull off a bunch of different types of music, but you do need to work with it some.

As for metal, i find you need to get the volume up there for some of that fizzyness to go away, i find. That irritates the crap out of me, which is why i prefer the XXX's.

You can say that about any amp, there are just some tones that you cannot dial in if the voicing of the amp is just wrong. Sure you can play Zeppelin on it, but it's not going to sound anything like Page's tone.
The 6505 does classic rock just fine. It was designed for rock and classic rock in the first place. The amps great metal tones/capabilities were discovered later.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Almost any good quality amp that has the works (I.E. Distortion) can get any type of sound you want as long as; its in that range, eq'd properly, and you play with your volume pot. By "in that range" I mean, you cant get a metallica sound out of a fender blues junior (no distortion) but you can get a Metallica-ish sound out of anything with distortion. Nothing is gonna sound exact unless you have the exact same guitar, and use the exact same technique, which even still can very.

I personally think its a great head though, I just prefer mesa boogies.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
I agree Although you do eventually start picking out it's bad points if you own one
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Horlicks
Vastly overrated, but decent.

+1
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Not really my cup of tea, but nice review anyway. Good to see you found an amp that suits you! That's all that matters in the end.
Quote by TheQuailman
Not really my cup of tea, but nice review anyway. Good to see you found an amp that suits you! That's all that matters in the end.

+1
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads