Alright well to answer my question i think i should give some back story. I went into Sam Ash(music store) looking for some cheap strap locks after busting my self in the face with my guitar when i found myself magicly drawn to the guitars as i always am. i ended up sitting down with an American standard strat in front of a blue voodoo head. right away i loved the clarity from the single coils (i had never played one before) even heavily distorted it wasn't muddy. right then i knew i wanted that sound, but i just got an artcore hollowbody for Christmas. I want to know what pickups i should put in it to give me the clarity of a strat without having to abandon my beautiful new guitar.
save up for a strat

thats really not the point of this i don't need it to be a carbon copy of a strat there is alot of things about the tone of my hollow body a love and i think adding the single coil clarity will make it something unique and and amazing to play i just want some advise on what pickups to buy to get me there
Quote by WashingtonsNext
You could do that ^^^. . . Or you could find some P-90's.
Won't help. A P-90 won't fit in a HB opening.

Quote by rebelmidget
save up for a strat
kinda rude and dismissive, but in general a good idea.

Quote by rude_boy13
thats really not the point of this i don't need it to be a carbon copy of a strat there is alot of things about the tone of my hollow body a love and i think adding the single coil clarity will make it something unique and and amazing to play i just want some advise on what pickups to buy to get me there
there are a number of things that go into the tone of a strat.

first of all, it's a solid body.

secondly, the bridge. and you aren't gonna put a strat bridge on an artcore.
third, the spacing between the pickups, when you use them in combination.
that's what gives it the distinctive "quack" in the 2 and 4 positions.
but you AREN'T gonna change the spacing between pickups on your artcore.

Finally the single coil pickups.
This is the one thing you COULD change.
You could get some adapters designed for holding strat pickups in a HB space.

Here's the problem: To replace pickups on a hollow body, you remove all the controls, jack, and pickups and do the wiring on the bench. Then you snake all that back into the guitar and mount it. It's a pain. Srsly, consider buying a Strat.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
i dont like the sound on 2 and 4 anyways. If i used that adapter do i really need to remove the contols and stuff? couldn't i just take out the humbuckers and wire the new pickups where the humbuckers where wired? also if i did that what pickups should i buy? (that was what i wanted to know with this thread) i don't mind doing the leg work to make it happen i just want to know what will sound best
humbuckers and single coils use different value pots

Remeber, hollow bodies don't have a cavity cover, you gotta do everything through the pickup routes and output jack hole... Well thats the case with most of them...
i have no idea what pot values have to do with changing it, but it would be incredible difficult if i had to change those :P could i do it without changing them or is that not possible?
Last edited by rude_boy13 at Mar 14, 2009,
Quote by rude_boy13
i dont like the sound on 2 and 4 anyways.
then you have no taste. that's your loss.

Quote by rude_boy13
If i used that adapter do i really need to remove the contols and stuff? couldn't i just take out the humbuckers and wire the new pickups where the humbuckers where wired?
The HBs will have long cables on them going to the pots. That's where they're wired to. You could cut the cables and splice it in, basically turning it into a hacked piece of shit. Your guitar, your call, dude.

Quote by rude_boy13
also if i did that what pickups should i buy? (that was what i wanted to know with this thread) i don't mind doing the leg work to make it happen i just want to know what will sound best
Go back to Sam Ash and ask what kind of pickups that Fender American Strat had in it. (they put different pickups in different models)

Or just by some Fender SCNs or some Kinmans. Always nice shiz.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
The HBs will have long cables on them going to the pots. That's where they're wired to. You could cut the cables and splice it in, basically turning it into a hacked piece of ****.

lol i guess that means DON'T DO THAT. Does that turn the sound to **** or is it just that its tacky. btw didn't mean to dis the sound from 2/4 selector just not my style i play ska/punk music and i like a kind of straight forward sound
It's tacky. Basically if you're gonna do it, do it right.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
thanks for the help man i got a pretty good idea of what i need to do i might do it tacky if it doesn't change the sound(no one will no but me because it will be covered) because i might mess something up and not be able to fix it if i work on the stuff on the inside of my guitar. one last question does the fact that the adapters are slanted change the sound ?
Quote by rude_boy13
Alright well to answer my question i think i should give some back story. I went into Sam Ash(music store) looking for some cheap strap locks after busting my self in the face with my guitar when i found myself magicly drawn to the guitars as i always am. i ended up sitting down with an American standard strat in front of a blue voodoo head. right away i loved the clarity from the single coils (i had never played one before) even heavily distorted it wasn't muddy. right then i knew i wanted that sound, but i just got an artcore hollowbody for Christmas. I want to know what pickups i should put in it to give me the clarity of a strat without having to abandon my beautiful new guitar.

gibson p94
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Won't help. A P-90 won't fit in a HB opening.

I agree with everything you say, but didn't somebody make a HB sized P-90?

or am I just completely dotty?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
I agree with everything you say, but didn't somebody make a HB sized P-90?

or am I just completely dotty?

I know Seymour Duncan does.

OP, you could always trying coil splitting. It's not going to be as good as installing single coils, but it'll be as close as is reasonable to mod.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Quote by GravyFish
I know Seymour Duncan does.

OP, you could always trying coil splitting. It's not going to be as good as installing single coils, but it'll be as close as is reasonable to mod.

cool idea.

I suggest coil splitting if you rather like your current sound, or Duncan P-90's. those little single coil metal things look rather silly.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Look for some Duncan P-Rails. They are humbucker-sized pickups with a P-90 and a rail single-coil wired together. You could replace your pots with push-pulls and have each one control either the rail or the P-90, so you virtually have four pickups, and i think 12 combinations, altho idk exactly.
You're never going to make a hollowbody sound like a strat - the strat has a lot less natural resonance due to the solid body, that contributes to the clarity but really nothing sounds like a strat apart from a strat. They have a distinctive, percussive snap and there's simply no way you'll reproduce that in a hollowbody no matter what you change. A hollowbody will always have those full, warm, woody undertones and there's nothing you can do to change that...it's a polar opposite to the strat in terms of both sound and construction, the two things aren't unrelated.

You're better off simply accepting that your guitar sounds the way it does because you're not going to be able to make it sound the way you want. If you want better clarity then you could consider a pickup swap provided your amp makes it worthwhile - a Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell in the neck with a Duncan 59 in the bridge would probably help a bit, but it still won't sound like a strat.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 15, 2009,
Quote by qotsa1998
Look for some Duncan P-Rails. They are humbucker-sized pickups with a P-90 and a rail single-coil wired together. You could replace your pots with push-pulls and have each one control either the rail or the P-90, so you virtually have four pickups, and i think 12 combinations, altho idk exactly.

+1
Have a look at the videos of these pickups. You can get a "strat" sound a p-90 sound and a humbucker sound. Note I put the strat in inverted commas. The sound won't be 100% accurate, but still good.