ok im about to chamber my guitar that im building (add pics later)
the mahogany is 30mm thick so when i chamber how many mm should i rout to?
as i dont want the back to be thin to the point where as i could put a hole in it by hitting it.

i know 30mm is very thin but i like the chamber sound and when i glue the mahogany it will be as thick as an sg at its thickest point (near the bottom of the body)

36mm total thickness making this clear
Last edited by DANGERSTRANGER at Mar 16, 2009,
are you doing any bevels/ carves? You'll have to be careful that the chamber and carve dont meet so you have a hole in your guitar...

The depth of the chamber doesn't matter too much. Maybe 20mm deep should be alright
Quote by guitarcam123
are you doing any bevels/ carves? You'll have to be careful that the chamber and carve dont meet so you have a hole in your guitar...

The depth of the chamber doesn't matter too much. Maybe 20mm deep should be alright

no ,no carves as it's based on a gretsch jet/firebird
thanks
ok , do you think i would be able to go,25mm through,as i also need it to have that gretsch sound when i add a filtertron pickup, and when i play it unplugged ,it needs to be reasonably loud,louder than normal electrics.
Quote by DANGERSTRANGER
ok , do you think i would be able to go,25mm through,as i also need it to have that gretsch sound when i add a filtertron pickup, and when i play it unplugged ,it needs to be reasonably loud,louder than normal electrics.

Maybe put an f-hole in it?
It will sound nothing like a hollow body gretsch. I'm sorry to tell you but it wont. Gretschs (their hollowbodies anyway) are much thicker and have thinner wood for the wing type parts. Almost acoustic like in their construction with a centre block of solid wood.

And you'll struggle to make a guitar 30mm thick. I doubt you'll have room for a neck pocket properly.

And if you route it, what are you going to use to cover your routes?

I'm sorry, but it sounds like you didn't even research guitars before you jumped into this. Read up on general guitar construction becuase you sound absolutely clueless
Quote by supergerbil
It will sound nothing like a hollow body gretsch. I'm sorry to tell you but it wont. Gretschs (their hollowbodies anyway) are much thicker and have thinner wood for the wing type parts. Almost acoustic like in their construction with a centre block of solid wood.

And you'll struggle to make a guitar 30mm thick. I doubt you'll have room for a neck pocket properly.

And if you route it, what are you going to use to cover your routes?

I'm sorry, but it sounds like you didn't even research guitars before you jumped into this. Read up on general guitar construction becuase you sound absolutely clueless

aint the first guitar im building and the gretsch roc jet is only 36mm thick and has that great gretsch sound,to the person above f holes are fugly as hell,and epiphones g310 sg is this thick and then neck pocket is too, and the guitar ir gonna be 36 mm thick which is quite a difference make sure you read properly,if you read properly you'll notice im glueing on a maple cap
Quote by POWERMETAL!
well you sound like you have it all figured out, what are you asking then?

im just not sure if the back of the guitar will be too thin