So I'm FINALLY getting a distortion (after a year and a half of playing clean, it's about time) and I went to Guitar Center today, mind set on a ProCo RAT2. I was playing one and loved it, when an old friend of mine who plays guitar, named Tony Azzolina, walked in. He's an amazing guitarist, so I told him I was looking for a distortion. He plugged me into a Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone and I loved it, too. Both pedals or surprisingly versatile, but I have NO idea which to get. I'm leaning towards to metal zone but I've heard great things about the RAT, and the Boss pedal doesn't seem to have as many artists to back it up. Help?
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
metal zone sucks

/thread
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by psychokiller99
metal zone sucks

/thread

Thanks for providing reason and details.
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
what amp will you be running it through ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
what amp will you be running it through ?

Ampeg R-12 Rocket. 1958.
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
tube amp, yes ? if so look into an overdrive instead of a distortion. unless you hate the tone of your ampeg, then i'd opt for a dist. pedal.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Thanks for providing reason and details.

i had a metal zone once and i just couldn't dial in the right tone. I usually don't like too many knobs on my pedals. Volume, gain, and tone are just fine.

I had my friend mess with my metal zone and he set it to his favorite setting on one he use to have, and i didn't like that either. I just sounded way too generic, and had way to much gain.

But if you're interested in a high-gain, heavy metal sound i recommend a metal muff. Tons of gain, and pretty versatile. Or if you want a more hard-rock, marshall sound try the MI Audio Crunch Box, or the Rat2 that you were thinking about. Those give better tones, IMO.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by mikeyElite
tube amp, yes ? if so look into an overdrive instead of a distortion. unless you hate the tone of your ampeg, then i'd opt for a dist. pedal.

Seeing as the Ampeg is absolutely clean, even when cranked to 11 (odd, I know), I probably need a distortion, for metal and rock stuff anyways. Again, both pedals are versatile, and I'm already getting an overdrive (called the 'dirty channel' pedal.) So yeah, I just wanna know whether you'd recommend the RAT or the Metal Zone.

Not trying to offend, but I wanna try to avoid taking this any farther than it needs to go.
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by psychokiller99
i had a metal zone once and i just couldn't dial in the right tone. I usually don't like too many knobs on my pedals. Volume, gain, and tone are just fine.

I had my friend mess with my metal zone and he set it to his favorite setting on one he use to have, and i didn't like that either. I just sounded way too generic, and had way to much gain.

But if you're interested in a high-gain, heavy metal sound i recommend a metal muff. Tons of gain, and pretty versatile. Or if you want a more hard-rock, marshall sound try the MI Audio Crunch Box, or the Rat2 that you were thinking about. Those give better tones, IMO.

I'm looking for a metal sound at the moment. The metal muff doesn't clean up as well as the Metal Zone.
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I'm looking for a metal sound at the moment. The metal muff doesn't clean up as well as the Metal Zone.

what do you mean "clean up"?
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
i'd take the rat over the metal zone anyday.
Quote by psychokiller99
what do you mean "clean up"?

Lowering the gain to get some lighter, cleaner tones with a bit of crunch. When I played the Metal Zone, the gain could go from straight clean, to a little crunch at 7:30, then of course to its more insane distortions past 12.
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
dude, metal core all the way. i got the metal core, absolutely fantastic. that is the best distortion by far, beefy low ends, awesomely soul-filled leads, everything is possible with that pedal.
You can also check out www.buildyourownclone.com. They sell a kit called the Mouse that is comparable to the ProCo Rat. All you need is basic soldering skills and on their forum you can learn about modding different parts of the circuit to get the tone you're looking for.
Quote by Wasted-Youth
I laugh at people that say "well my mac doesn't get viruses!" That's like bragging that nobody breaks into your shack and steals your lawn chair.

Quote by Yakult
I've got more faith in Michael Jackson safely babysitting my cousin, than I do in Windows.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Seeing as the Ampeg is absolutely clean, even when cranked to 11

Sounds like it may be time to re-tube that Ampeg, I'd go w/the rat.
i have to boss gt 10 multi effect pedal and to tell ye the truth metal zone pissees me off. lol. it has this weird fuzzy annoying tone.. idk. doesnt sound right. but i really like the rat. perfect distortion. not to loud not to trebly and controllable. go for the rat
i've got a boner for murder
Yeah I agree with oldkoolairbursh maybe it's time to take the amp into a tech, the tubes may need replacing. Back to the pedal question, I would take the RAT over the Metal Zone, I think the metal zone sounds shrill, and like someone said fizzy but it's your decision my friend may the force be with you lol.

Good luck
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
I'd take the RAT over the Metal Zone purely on the basis I've tried getting on with a Metal Zone in the past and no matter what I set it to it was bloody awful. I've not tried the RAT but I can't believe it could be worse than the POS Metal Zone.

On the other hand, I got a Digitech HardWire Metal Distortion recently and it's ****ing fantastic. If harsh metal distortion is your thing, I heartily recommend it - it's better than any other metal pedal I've used previously.

'Course, it depends a lot on your amp, guitar, cables, pickups, playing style, etc.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by masterp666
dude, metal core all the way. i got the metal core, absolutely fantastic. that is the best distortion by far, beefy low ends, awesomely soul-filled leads, everything is possible with that pedal.

Can't find it right now, but I'm almost sure you quoted that directly from the Boss hand booklet on effects.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
The RAT pedals have really gone down in quality, not even Keeley will mod the new ones anymore they are that crap apparently. From what I read they moved manufacturing to China and it all went to sh*ts from there.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
The RAT pedals have really gone down in quality, not even Keeley will mod the new ones anymore they are that crap apparently. From what I read they moved manufacturing to China and it all went to sh*ts from there.
Given that every time any guitar/amp/pedal manufacturer moves their production to China their reviews dip, their reputation is lowered and their sales go down, you would think companies would stop going there and would go back to Korea, Mexico etc. I can't believe production in China could be that much cheaper that it offsets the huge sales drops.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Yea, makes you wonder huh. Besides, I love how the US government now says buy American. That might be the biggest joke ever, yes buy from an American company which manufacturers its overpriced low quality products overseas in China and cut jobs at home. Way to go USA!!
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Ok, heres what methinks. Both boss pedals fail, along with the metal muff. Why? Well I have a metal muff, and I've played the boss pedals. I think they sound very Hiss-y like they have this layer of static behind everything your playing. Thats why I'm all about tube amp distortion. HOWEVER for portability purposes, I bought a fender blues junior about a week or two ago, loved the cleans and I figured I'd just get a good distortion pedal. Shopped around and the only one I liked was the Living sound Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. This pedal has the OD with a bass boost, and then a separate switch for distortion, so you can use one, none or both. I was finding sometimes it would be hiss-y sounding and sometimes not. Well the "sharp" setting on the Distortion side, makes it hiss, the "blunt" setting is your nice, heavy fat tone. However I ended up getting a handwired pedal from a local guy who works for a company and makes em, which is loads better. The website is like metal pedals.com. I have the "hardcore" if anyone was wondering.

The ratt is better over the boss ones if you stick with those choices.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
I'd go with the RAT2. I have one and I'm pretty happy with it. You can get a pretty wide range of sounds from it.
2008 Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster
2010 Fender Classic Players Jazzmaster
2010 Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster
Peavey 80w Bandit
i'm going to support metal zone in this one. I own one and love it. Its very versatile and as long as you can find a setting you like, it can sound like more of an overdrive than just a distortion, which i like a lot.
The metal zone is an OK pedal, takes a lot of tweaking the knobs to get the sound you want, the old HM-2 sounds a lot better, or the super-overdrive SD1 modded w/a real 12ax7. Check ebay for the latters.
go rat2 all the way. i've owned the metal zone before and i thought it to sound not good at all. sounded real cheap to me. i own the rat2 and i've been using for two years since i got it and love it.
I'd take a rat over a metal zone, but if you have a tube amp you should get a maxon or ibanez tubescreamer.
~Gear~
'96 Fender Strat MIM
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender '70s Reissue Strat

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
4x12 Marshall AVT Cab
Marshall AVT50 Combo
The MT is great, really great for riffing, when set up right There are some settings provided with the pedal, also turning the level knob up is a great increase. No offence but i think nobody did raise the level that much because it was like; 'Eew to loud'. Agreed, it is a bit fuzzy. but i kinda like it. When you put way less gain on it, it will go allright for a solo too.

But it will remain your choice.
Ibanez ICT-700 WH

Behringer V-Amp Pro

Fender Frontman 25A