I am a big effects user myself, but there is always talk that the effects should be left to the guitarists. For example my guitarist was shocked when I walked into our first pratice and I came with a big pedal board and I had more effects than he did. Using effects just enables a bassist to get that distict sound they're looking for. I know I'm not alone so post your pedal boards and talk effects.

Here's my board as of now. I'm working on building some more of my own pedals now as well. Now I'm working of a fuzz face clone and I'm looking for a filter to start working on.

the box next to the Big muff is a green ringer and the one in the lower left is an A/B box.

I also have a Sansamp BDDI that I use as a DI/preamp mostly I dont really use it as an od/dist. I also have a stereo electric mistress not pictured that's lent to a friend
Last edited by Ryker24 at Mar 22, 2009,
Here's an out-dated pic of my board; I don't have a digital camera so I can't get pics of the newer set up:

The only real change is that I've dropped the tuner pedal on the end and added a rocktron hypnotic flange pedal.

My current signal chain is: Bootzilla wah/fuzz--> BYOC envelope filter --> rocktron hypnotic flange-->Digitech bass chorus --> enhanced EA tremolo --> BYOC lazy sprocket --> behringer reverb pedal (to back up the sprocket)--> Boss DD6

And I have a foot switch for my wonderful zoom rack effects unit--best ring mod and leslie sim ever.

I've been shuffling quite a few pedals in and out lately--tried a BBE fuzz and a green ringer clone, but both obviously obliterated the low end. I'm thinking of swapping the BYOC filter out for an EH one.

Edit* Yes all the LEDs on my handbuilt pedals are purple. ...Yes I know just how awesome that is.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 14, 2009,
How do you like the lazy sprocket? I've been considering puting one of these together
Quote by Ryker24
How do you like the lazy sprocket? I've been considering puting one of these together

It's pretty fickle and takes a bit of finesse to use properly. After you manage to get the knobs set properly, you have to use the strangest left hand technique-playing stacatto and muting the strings properly--it's real similar to the technique I use when going nuts with an envelope filter---just being real sensitive about controlling the decay of a note. It will sound too staccato if you don't back it up with a little reverb. With the reverb following I can get some nice synthy bowed sounds, if I didn't have the reverb the notes wouldn't feel connected at all.

I honestly think it's too much of a pain and not enough of a practical effect for most people, but now that mine is set up properly I absolutely love it. BYOC includes parts for two builds, one authenticly vintage and one that works a lot better, if you get it you'll want to do the one that works a lot better--it's challange to use on its own, I can't image what trying to use the vintage one is like.

Quote by toyboxmonster
How is the Digitech chorus working out for you?

The bass forum was right to steer me toward the chorus (Which I picked up for about $30 brand new on ebay ) It's not warm by any means, but that makes it perfect for bass, and even better for anyone that wants to get crazy tones out of it by really cranking the effect. I use it on a more subtle setting and don't really use it often, but during those rare times it is on, the cost I payed is more than justified by the sound I'm hearing.

I was planning on recording some acoustic guitar & vox material this week, I'll have to sneak in a few clips of the slow gear clone in action to share with the bass forum since that pedal is kind of esoteric and we don't hear much about it being used on bass.

Anyone using the EHX micro q-tron (XO model or whatever it is)? That's what I want to replace my BYOC envelop filter with. It's probably due to bad build quality, but I'm getting some nasty clipping distortion when I really open up on it and want a filter that's much more clean sounding.

Edit* and the lazy sprocket is the black pedal with gold glitter---pretty pleased with my paint job on that one when the light isn't hitting it it looks glossy black, then with a camera flash you see how gold it gets.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 14, 2009,
My board is pretty simple right now, it goes Distortion->Ibanez Synth Bass-> EHX Worm for roboty sounds, or Worm->Distortion->Synth, for more distortion sounds.
Next I'm going to get a Wah, a flanger and a tuner pedal.
I'd love to hear what a Wah would sound like with the Worms wah on at the same time.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Does anyone know any chorus pedasl that works for a bass and guitar? I wana save a bit of money
Quote by dullsilver_mike
How did I magically turn into the first post?

gain money.

give to me.

ok, that'll make me turn into first post, but you get what I mean.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I'll get pics up in a bit, when I find my phone. But at the minute my pedalboard goes

Digitech Bass Wah/ Synth> Boss ODB-3> Artec SE-BEQ> Boss DD3.

Powered With a nice big power brick Soundlab PP450.

Just Need An EHX Stereo electric mistress and a tuner (Any reccomendations?) and i'm done.

Quote by lazydude554
Does anyone know any chorus pedasl that works for a bass and guitar? I wana save a bit of money

Boss CE-5, EHX stereo electric mistress, ehx clone theory. Most chorus's will work for both, from what ive tried, but ive found bass chorus's sound muddy on guitar.
Last edited by The 7.18 at Mar 17, 2009,
Ive heard that Peterson Strobe Tuners are the last word in tuners, but I just have a little Boss T-80 (not to be confused with the Russian MBT of the same name) which serves me just fine.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
Quote by lazydude554

Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember reading that the MXR chorus has a switch that preserves low-end.
Quote by lazydude554

I'd go for a boss bass chorus which is spesificly designed for bass. a bit expensive but worth it
I don't have much of a board, I just put my pedals on the floor.
Bass > Echo Park > DD-6 > Amp

I don't understand why people say that delay sounds better in the loop, possibly because of how I use it? I always get a lot of nasty feedback (when my level and repeat are all the way up, so yeah, I'm kind of asking for it, but it works while I'm on input only. When it is on the loop, I think it feedsback because it is delaying the loop infinite times, I'm pretty sure.) Tone? I think it sounds more crisp and real of delay while it is going into my input, Iduno I guess.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Here's an out-dated pic of my board; I don't have a digital camera so I can't get pics of the newer set up:

The only real change is that I've dropped the tuner pedal on the end and added a rocktron hypnotic flange pedal.

My current signal chain is: Bootzilla wah/fuzz--> BYOC envelope filter --> rocktron hypnotic flange-->Digitech bass chorus --> enhanced EA tremolo --> BYOC lazy sprocket --> behringer reverb pedal (to back up the sprocket)--> Boss DD6

And I have a foot switch for my wonderful zoom rack effects unit--best ring mod and leslie sim ever.

I've been shuffling quite a few pedals in and out lately--tried a BBE fuzz and a green ringer clone, but both obviously obliterated the low end. I'm thinking of swapping the BYOC filter out for an EH one.

Edit* Yes all the LEDs on my handbuilt pedals are purple. ...Yes I know just how awesome that is.

Hey mike, how do you like the Bootzilla? I've got a crybaby 535Q i use, but it isnt doing the bass justice. I like the aspect of added fuzz too.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
It must be nice to have a band that's worth transporting a massive pedal board and amp to and back. As for me, it's usually bass -> Boss DD-6 for stereo delay -> amp/Pro Tools. Probably going to add a fuzz to that when I get some cash.
SO--I have a brandy new SKB pedalboard as a present and the following pedals:

BBE OptoStomp
Digi-Delay
Digitech Chorus
Boss AW Dynamic Wah
Boss ODB-3

So Bass forum--help me setup my pedal board!
Quote by anarkee
SO--I have a brandy new SKB pedalboard as a present and the following pedals:

BBE OptoStomp
Digi-Delay
Digitech Chorus
Boss AW Dynamic Wah
Boss ODB-3

So Bass forum--help me setup my pedal board!

This should help...
http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/fx-order.htm

I want pics
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
That's a pretty useful link. thanks! I am going to work on this over the weekend and I'll take pictures and post it back up in the thread when I get it sorted.
Quote by pedalguy1
Hey mike, how do you like the Bootzilla? I've got a crybaby 535Q i use, but it isnt doing the bass justice. I like the aspect of added fuzz too.

Well, the sweep of the wah is kind of limited, but there's a three way switch to adjust where the range is. So you can't use it properly if you're covering the whole fret board in one run, but it works great if you flip the switch for work above the 12th fret one song and down low on the E string the next. I don't find it too inconvenient, since I'm rarely if ever going to cover all that real estate in a single song, let alone one that I also use the wah for the whole time.

It certainly lets the bass shine through, and you can use that switch to let the low notes hit with different types of emphasis. Long story short, there's plenty of versitility wah-wise and it does the low end justice, but that versitility comes through the use of a three way switch.

The fuzz is not dynamic at all, it is over the top and unruley and really only gets one sound down. I love that sound, and I love pairing that sound with the wah set in a stationary position, but it's not a sound for everyone and certainly not for someone seeking a versitile fuzz. that said, it does let a hell of a lot more bass through than other fuzz pedals I've used--there's no doubt that it is a bass fuzz.

Quote by anarkee
That's a pretty useful link. thanks! I am going to work on this over the weekend and I'll take pictures and post it back up in the thread when I get it sorted.

I am also very interested in said pics.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 21, 2009,
get an overdrive that works for your more subtle sound, Tam, you yourself have stated the ODB-3 is not ideal for blues.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by anarkee

Ok--first pass at the pedal arrangement.

That's exactly the order that would have recomended. Maybe the BBE before the AW-3 or after the ODB-3. There are no real rules when it comes to effect order, usually od/dist/fuzz and filters first and modluation later in the chain. Boosters and EQ's can go where ever they are most needed. For example, on my Holy Stain the Fuzz and the OD have a volume boost when engaged so I usally put my EQ before it to tame the fuzz/od to a useable level.