Well....

I assume most people know Dubai and some may know the Palm - visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Jumeirah if you don't.

Do you believe that the positive effects [eg. increased tourism, increased income, world's global awarenes of Dubai] outweighs the negative effects of the Palm? [eg. environmental factors, habitats destroyed, culture dillution]

This won't take long, even a simple yes or no will do, but if you could, please give some reasoning.

Thanks a lot.
lol. The thing is, i posted this in hopes of reply because for Coursework assignments you get marks for performing primary research and presenting and including information using different methods.
There is no right answer. It just depends on what you care about. It does have its benefits. And the negatives don't really affect a lot of people, so not many people care. From a practical standpoint, I guess the positive effects do outweigh the negative effects. But from a moral/ethical standpoint, it's a little harder to say.
Quote by FaisalKaragoly
lol. The thing is, i posted this in hopes of reply because for Coursework assignments you get marks for performing primary research and presenting and including information using different methods.

Kind of an odd question to ask on UG, but here goes.

I think that the positive effects do outweigh the negative effects, as by increasing world awareness of the U.A.E. and looking to other sources of income other than oil, the United Arab Emirates is able to expand into a future where it will have other sources of income, other than just relying on its natural oil reserves.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Yes, because ti really isn't that bad in the long run. Cities like Dubai need the tourist indistry to thrive while the price of crude oil stays low, or else they will implode economically

totally worth it.
Thanks a lot. Really appreciate the detailed replies.

I was just trying to find out opinions from people outside the country rather than the right or wrong answer. [thanks jetfuel]

yeahh, it is quite odd for UG lol. but the last two replies were great =] very helpful. [thanks xeronbrigs]

unfortunately quite true, this country relies too much on resources such as oil I believe, though they are diversifying atm. [thanks hipotato]
Last edited by FaisalKaragoly at Mar 14, 2009,
that question is a bit too vague to answer and its hard to weigh the positives and the negatives plus it will take decades to tell if it was worth it after all, with the current real estate market in Dubai.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by FaisalKaragoly

I was just trying to find out opinions from people outside the country rather than the right or wrong answer. [thanks jetfuel]

yeahh, it is quite odd for UG lol. but the last two replies were great =] very helpful. [thanks xeronbrigs]

unfortunately quite true, this country relies too much on resources such as oil I believe, though they are diversifying atm. [thanks hipotato]

On a side note, you are definitely the nicest person I have ever met on UG.

Keep it up!
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by CephalidHunter
that question is a bit too vague to answer and its hard to weigh the positives and the negatives plus it will take decades to tell if it was worth it after all, with the current real estate market in Dubai.

Why did you mention the real estate market in dubai? I mean, what's that got to do with the palm?

Quote by Xeron Brigs
On a side note, you are definitely the nicest person I have ever met on UG.

Keep it up!

=] thanks. I've seen quite a few...not-so-nice people on UG lol. it's not too great really, kinda insulting sometimes. but yeah, you've gotta be nice to people if you want them to be nice to you in return i guess.

i'll try and keep it up =] lol.
Last edited by FaisalKaragoly at Mar 14, 2009,
Quote by FaisalKaragoly

Glad to help, mate
Positive definitely out-weighs negative. More tourism and i heard that it has more fish around it now then before it was there.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
No. It's a totally unjustifiable display of opulence, only applying to and benefiting the very rich. Not that the people building and visiting it care.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
Dubai has very little income from oil relative to it's total GDP. Its main produce is tourism and business. Which is also why they've been badly hit by the credit crunch while the rest of the Middle East is rolling in oily money (since prices have gone up)

Anyways. NOW I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT the term "artificial island" seems to me like it was manmade; since it isn't naturally a part of the environment anything that goes on there shouldn't affect the rest of the environment I don't think.
Quote by Saf1
Dubai has very little income from oil relative to it's total GDP. Its main produce is tourism and business. Which is also why they've been badly hit by the credit crunch while the rest of the Middle East is rolling in oily money (since prices have gone up)

Anyways. NOW I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT the term "artificial island" seems to me like it was manmade; since it isn't naturally a part of the environment anything that goes on there shouldn't affect the rest of the environment I don't think.

Aww, I wanted to flaunt my UAE knowledge. I think your Sheikh is a really smart man by using the money gained from oil to improve the tourism infrastructure. So, yes, economically it is a very positive thing.

And, secondly, the creation of the Palm is essentially land reclamation. Reclamation can cause destructions of natural habitats, increasing the toxicity of sediments etc. I guess it is great now, but in the long run, the Palm would probably fade away.

Moral of the story: Don't buy apartments there

Edit: For a less vague answer, yes, it does outweigh the negatives as Dubai does have other tourist structures besides the Palm
Last edited by Cianyx at Mar 14, 2009,
Just wanted to say thanks a lot to everyone.
Really appreciate the detailed answers, don't mean this in a bad way [it's just last time i had a question for ppl, i just got told to use google...though I already had] but everyone's been surprisingly helpful. =]
Thanks again.
Quote by iforgot539
No. It's a totally unjustifiable display of opulence, only applying to and benefiting the very rich. Not that the people building and visiting it care.

This.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by iforgot539

I admire your straightforward reply, but the fact that the palm does increase tourism and global awareness of dubai does benefit the less-better-off as well. The multiplier effect; the more people and income coming into the country and circling around, the better off the country's finance situation is. Plus, more income comes in, more income goes to the government, who's budget increases, meaning they would have a larger budget to spend on public transport etc [or things that would generally benefit not only the rich]

sorry for the block of text =/