After 3 years of playing I realized I've developed a bad habit of resting my palm on the strings I'm not hitting. This makes it pretty damn hard to arpeggiate and sweep pick ect lol. Anyway I've started playing with my pinky and middle finger resting on the scratch board but I've had a drop in speed cuz it feels unco.

I was hoping someone could give me some tips and exercises to build up my speed again, I've gone through the lessons but none seem to be helping much =[

I have to learn breaking point by parkway drive soon and i can only play it about 3/5ths of the speed it's at lol.

any help is appreciated =]
Don't put your pinky and middle finger on the scratchboard, thats anchoring and will only slow you down more in the end...
So no part of my hand should be touching the guitar? what about my wrist?

I'm gonna be so **** for the next few weeks =[
DO NOT PUT YOUR WRIST ON THE GUITAR!!!

Read that multiple times, yell it out loud if you have to.

If you put your wrist on the guitar, you usually have to arc your wrist to get the right angle to attack the stings, which is a very bad thing. If you arc your wrist, then you will develop carpel tunnel, which is easily the worst thing that can happen to a guitarist (other than say dismemberment or developing SGS).
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
use your wrist to pick the strings. some guitarist do anchor and they still play well..but i gotta agree with lewadra. anchoring is a bad habbit to get into too..unless your hands are extremly big theres no need for it...

u can tuck your fingers in...u can keep the striaght..just whatever feels best for you

doing some speed burst of 3 or 4 notes on each string may help...just dont try to do it to fast. take ur time and warm up good too and good luck
There are some excellent alternate picking exercises, download as .zip files, in the Advanced Techniques forum.
Quote by Lewadra
Don't put your pinky and middle finger on the scratchboard, thats anchoring and will only slow you down more in the end...

If one of your fingers lightly touches the guitar at some points, TS, don't worry about it. If you find that your hand is always glued to the guitar body and it's difficult to play unanchored, you may want to consider revamping your technique.