Tony Zemaitis...hope the spellings correct...

Just been chatting with my folks, usual stuff how's things', the business, family etc and was speaking about trying to play bass.

...my dad reminded me of something I had forgotten about from my early years.

My dad used to be head barrel maker for Purdey's of London, they make shotguns, elephant guns for those with very deep pockets, handmade, bespoke guns and some have some very elaborate engraving indeed.

Tony Zemaitis used to live about 10 minutes from us and he used to come by in a Scarlet E Type Jaguar fixed head coupe and drop off brightwork. It was all for his guitars to be engraved by the craftsman at Purdeys in their lunchtime or afterwork, for a bit of beer money...we had a lot of interesting 'names' dropping shotguns off too for mod's, whom now I'm older just wish I could revisit and chat with

Anyway, I used to just sit on the front wall outside our house and stare at that Jag and after Tony had finished business with dad he used to smile and say, "come on then, get in Richard, you know you want to!" and he used to let me play with all the rocker switches over on the dash, all good stuff for an 8 year old and then he would fire that E Type up and give it some beans and top some altogether obscene speeds, then drop me back off home, it was our secret and I was never to tell mum that we often did over 90mph in a 30mph ares when he took me for a spin! He was such a nice guy to know as a small boy

I asked dad if Tony ever did any bass guitars, he thinks not but really can't be certain?

My dad tells me Tony passed away a few years ago, if that's true that's a real shame, his son was a nice guy too, but some years older than me I think?

...I wonder where that old E Type is nowadays too.....

cheers guys for any info'
*wipes eyes*
That was beautiful mann.

You should try and find the Jag =P

Did they happen to be those metal top guitars?
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Mar 14, 2009,
http://www.maverick-music.com/Scripts/vintage-guitars.asp?idproduct=1594

nice story but dude, that took me 10 seconds to find by typing 'zemaitis bass' into google
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Last edited by stevo192 at Mar 14, 2009,
...didn't think to google it, must be an age thing! Is that price correct $30k!?!
i would imagine so, seems like they deal in vintage guitars so i would imagine it is correct. Does have a few cool things with it though, like the original drawing by tony that it was built from
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Quote by iconic
...didn't think to google it, must be an age thing! Is that price correct $30k!?!

Ya. How do you think Tony could afford the Jag?
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by kugelspot
Ya. How do you think Tony could afford the Jag?

...fuel was so expensive that E Types were very cheap back then, you could have bought a Cortina, Capri etc for the same money
Hmmm, never heard of this guy, but as it goes i think i heard my dad talking about purdeys once, dont know though, hes a keen shooter though. The bass looks a bit heavy and silly, but still.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
anyone else thinking the greg lake doubleneck was a zemaitis?

EDIT:
afer looking around i found some more

someone might still own the company/name and be making guitars.
but i dont know.
dont half look fancy though
Last edited by 2112pk at Mar 17, 2009,
^that Billy Sheehan rockin the can top?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
^that Billy Sheehan rockin the can top?

mos def bro.
it's got his pick up set up too.
so odds are it wasnt a case of "here billy hold this while we take some photos"

never seen him use one though
Quote by 2112pk
mos def bro.
it's got his pick up set up too.
so odds are it wasnt a case of "here billy hold this while we take some photos"

never seen him use one though

i think it's a case of "i'm ****ing rich so what's the most expensive bass i can buy and butcher with my awful pickup configuration"

sorry disregard the last bit if you want, as you can probably guess i'm not his biggest fan
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
i think it's a case of "i'm ****ing rich so what's the most expensive bass i can buy and butcher with my awful pickup configuration"

sorry disregard the last bit if you want, as you can probably guess i'm not his biggest fan

I rather enjoy the configuration, it allows some mud to purvey the mix without losing note definition or attack.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
I rather enjoy the configuration, it allows some mud to purvey the mix without losing note definition or attack.

i find there's not enough brightness to it no matter what you do with the amp, i have the same complaint with P basses in general. I'd probably like it if it had a jazz configuration
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
i find there's not enough brightness to it no matter what you do with the amp, i have the same complaint with P basses in general. I'd probably like it if it had a jazz configuration

when you are playing with some losers who crank treble to 11 thinking they're Tom Morello, or just have an acoustic steel string (not an amp, sorry) brightness is not too desired, IMO.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

true, i suppose i've got lucky with my guitarists, none of them want to be tom morello or some other high gain high treble mentalist
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Quote by skater dan0
true, i suppose i've got lucky with my guitarists, none of them want to be tom morello or some other high gain high treble mentalist

one of mine is severely chameleonic, the other insists on sounding like a Jimmy, be it Hendrix or Page.

so one I'm safe, the other will just start pig squealing on me in between slow indie patterns.

jamming is bizarre, as one might think.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by 2112pk
p-bass?
not bright?
lol wut?

it isn't bright with it's best tones.

it's like scooping mids. you can do it, but then you sound like someone scooped your brains.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

wow, i must be dialing WAY to much treble on my amp in that case.
well, it's not as bad as mid scooping. but, if you crank some bass and mid in there you get a round, wide thump that causes the weak to bow.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

i've got the mids all pretty highish too, rolling the bass back thogh, if i dont there'll be a damage to the windows. should i ever take it gigging i'll give it some trouser-flapping love.
i'm just confused at the suposed lack of brightness, my favored P has a wonderful bright punch, even though the strings are worn in.
that said i've never run one up against a PROPER jazz, save my VM fretless which is admitedly very airy (if that makes sence in context).
ok. yeah, that's the frets, not the pickup, run that against a VM fretted (actually, MIM fretted would be more fair) jazz and compare them.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

wow.
i've really hijacked this thread.
how did i turn this into a jazz vs presision thread?
Quote by 2112pk
wow.
i've really hijacked this thread.
how did i turn this into a jazz vs presision thread?

*reported*

enjoy the FOTB, foo'!!!!!!!!

I kid.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard