Hey guys,

My jackson DXMG comes with EMG HZ pickups, I don't think their active. They sound alright but they get kinda muddy. I finally finished setting up my guitar after a while of unexperience with parts of the guitar, but it's finally comfortable.

So, this Jackson is meant to stay in Drop C. I play a lot of metal, like Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, Children of Bodom, and even Steve Vai and such on this guitar. My question is, could you guys recommend a good setup of pickups for it? I heard the EMG 81's and (I think 85? can't remember) were the EMG's that everyone used. But I'm sure there's a lot more out there.

Any suggestions and info is much appreciated,
Thanks everyone!
for anything but steve vai the emg 81/85 will work out. for steve vai, dimarzio's.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 BK with a Dimarzio Evo in bridge
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
i say go with emg active 81 and 85
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Alexi uses an EMG HZ, so if your playing COB with it and its bad, maybe its your settings?
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
id go with the EMG 81 85 set adam D of kse uses them.. or you can check out duncan blackouts ive heard they kick ass
Damn that was fast. Here's what I'm playing through
Jackson DXMG, EMG HZ pickups
Line 6 Spider III amp

and my strings are Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky (11-54). I'm not so sure I like the feel of them.. I may just put regular size back on and tighten them up.. I want my Jackson to feel like my Les Paul. I just loosened the truss bar earlier this morning and it feels 100X better than it used to.
^ Use the pickup money to save for a new amp ...i'm begging you.
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by cmakkidguitar
^ Use the pickup money to save for a new amp ...i'm begging you.

You think so? Suggestions?
Last edited by 001 jigsaw at Mar 14, 2009,
Quote by 001 jigsaw
You think so?

Yes, really.

The fact is you'll probably need to eventually replace both. When I played HZ's I found them muddy as hell through a good tube amp.
There may be a slight tone change with your spider, but you will notice a greater tone change with the purchase of a new amp, preferably tube but good SS works.

Total budget?
^ Yeah, that line 6 spider you have will be .... fuzzy and horrid in comparison to the amp you could buy by putting that pickup money aside and saving a little

I'm not really big on that area of amps but maybe look into used Peavey 5150s? Not smooth enough for Vai but it seems to be the standard metal amp to cover those other bands. I would however like to reiterate you should ask round a lot more, cos it's really not my area of playing
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Those are good points. I figured I would have to replace these pickups and my amp at some point. How do you guys feel about marshall? I play a lot of Zeppelin and pretty much everything, with different guitars for the task. So I can't just have one amp that's only good for metal. Some pedal's would be in order as well haha.
Standard questions...

Budget?
Location?
Can and will you go used?
Do you gig?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
b-52 at-112

excels in metal but can do other stuff well too... and at a tasty price of $360
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah