seeing as my last thread broke itself, here we go again

i know nothing about electronics, and just am just wondering if a get a 4x12 cab thats 16 ohms and disconnect 2 of the speakers does it become an 8 ohm cab, i have an 8 ohm hotplate for my 2x12 at the moment but am selling up and thinking of getting a 4x12, but also dont want to render my hotplate useless.

thank you
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
If you're using an attenuator it doesn't matter how many ohms the cab is. The hotplate just needs to match up to the amp, the cab is irrelevant.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
oh thats cool, thanks!
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
to answer your question though, most of the time, no... you can't just remove 2 of the speakers unless the speakers are all 4 ohms and they are wired in series. Most of the time they are wired parallel with 16 ohm speakers when they are a 16 ohm cab.

why would you get rid of a 212 for a 412? they will sounds almost* identical, one just is harder to move around
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
im selling the head and cab to get a new head and cab, most ones ive looked at are second hand and are being sold with the cab, mostly 4x12, im getting a JCM900 i think
- Jimi Hendrix

- Mitch Hedberg