3rd time lucky with this thread as UG seems to have had problems today.

I'm looking for a modeling amp for use mainly at home but also capable of jamming and small gigs. There are a number of features I would like on this amp, all of which might not be possible but I'd like as many as I can get.

1) As near to the warm, organically rich sound of a real valve amp as I can get.
2) Offer a wide range of tones but mostly capable of good Blues, Rock and modern Metal tones. Think of BB King/Eric Clapton at one end and Synyster Gates at the other.
3) Reliability and durability
4) A decent range of effects that can be edited in some way and where I can play multiple effects at once.
5) Have a headphone and Mp3 socket
6) Have an effects loop just in case I want to expand the tonal pallette
7) Be able to control the amp easily from a floor controller.
8) Be as close to an all-in-one solution as possible

The contenders (so far):

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
I've heard great things about this and the 30w I tried was quite impressive. It seems to have a range of decent tones with editable effects but no effects loop and suspect build quality. I'm assuming the tubes will help the quality of the tone.

Peavey Vypyr 75w
As above and would consider it if the tubes don't make too much difference.

Line 6 Spider Valve
I find the amp models a bit too digital really and the effects seem very basic but it does have the effects loop and seems to be reasonably well built.

Line 6 Flextone III
I don't know much about this except that people keep suggesting it on here. I don't really understand what it offers that makes it so good when the spec doesn't seem so different to the solid state Spider and reviews on HC appear to be average.

Vox VT
The Valvetronix always had a good valve-like tone to my ears but weren't very good at high gain models. Is the VT different and much improved in this area?

The budget is not a problem for any of these so given what I'm looking for, what would you choose and why?
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I say either the Flextone or one of the Vypyrs.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I think the vypyrs and the flextones are your best shot.

The flextone is better than spider because of the preamp is better than the spider preamp. The preamp is based on the Vetta which I'd also suggest if you can find one in your range used.

I don't know about the flextones, but I think you can only use one effect at a time on the vypyrs.

I'd also consider getting a pod and a keyboard amp for gigs and jamming.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I already have a GNX3000 but I've found that amplifying it is a pain as it just never sounds as good as it does on headphones. I've also tried hooking it up to the effects return on my Marshall, which sounded good but seems a waste of a good Marshall and as the Marshall really wasn't designed for modeling I assumed I'd be better off with something that was designed for that purpose. I love the Marshall tone but to get the sounds I want will involve investing in some pedals and for what I use it for I can't help thinking it's a waste of cash.

A quick question on effects with amps. I am under the impression that things like Overdive, Distortion and other stompbox effects go in front of the amp while modulation effects go in the loop. Would it make a huge difference if it all went front end? (I'm thinking of the Vypyr here).

Looking at pictures of the Flextone seems to suggest that effects options are limited but would I be right in thinking you can do a lot more with it by using the computer interface for creating patches; similar to my GNX3000?
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
The VT100 has all the features you were looking for. I really like mine and it sounds way more natural/warmer then the Vypyrs every did to my ears. And the new VT series can definitely do harder music. The 6506/Triple Rectifier/Modern Marshall models can all get super heavy distortion. But ultimately, playing through a few of your choices yourself will make a world of difference.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
As for your question about FX loops and running effects pedals, running your modulation effects in the front end will definitely sound worse then taking advantage of an effects loop. Some pedals (EQ pedals, specifically) will make little to not difference in the front end as opposed to running in your loop.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
line 6 flextone fo sho
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
****ing Flextone !
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
The Vox VT does look impressive, though I really don't think I need anything over 50w, if only because a 2 X 12 would be very large! I understand that there is a common effects loop modification that can be done to the 50w. I'm unclear what parameters can be adjusted on the effects and the foot controller looks incredibly basic. Nevertheless, it seems like it is a tough choice between the Vypyr, Flextone and VT. I think the Spider Valve has to be discarded from the list.

Does a Flextone really sound more valve-like than a Tube 60 or Vox VT? It seems hard to believe as it's the only one that has no real valves. I've been trying to find one locally to try but had no luck yet. The other question about the Flextone regards effects. Looking at pictures of the Flextone there doesn't appear to be much you can do to adjust effects parameters in the way that you can on a Vypyr. Is this because it's all largely done using a computer? That wouldn't be a problem at all by the way.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Last edited by Doadman at Mar 14, 2009,
tube vypyr or flextone. the vt is great but not nearly as good as these two (especially if you need high gain)
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Doadman
The Vox VT does look impressive, though I really don't think I need anything over 50w, if only because a 2 X 12 would be very large! I understand that there is a common effects loop modification that can be done to the 50w. I'm unclear what parameters can be adjusted on the effects and the foot controller looks incredibly basic.

Each effect has 3 parameters you can tweak and they vary depending which effect it is. Generally something along the lines of speed/depth/level. The 2x12 is definitely a beast (size and volume wise) but the power attenuator on the back allows me to run it at a very bedroom level 15 watts and still max out the master volume (which supposedly creates the most "tube" saturation). But if you're looking for a strictly high gain amp, the Vypyr MIGHT be more up your alley. I suggest you play them both and see for yourself. I found the Vypyr's cleans to be abysmal though. I haven't played the new tube Vypyr's, however. They might be pretty awesome if they've worked out a lot of the reliability kinks.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.