Hey, I'm in the middle of writing a song, and I came across some trouble. I can't figure out what key its in. Is there any free program that I can type the notes into that will give me a specific key or scale I can use for it? Thanks
Not sure, but I heard somewhere that you can base the key of the song off of the first note.

(I don't know if this is right or not, if it's not, there is no need to point out how stupid I am)
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
Quote by parigod
Not sure, but I heard somewhere that you can base the key of the song off of the first note.

(I don't know if this is right or not, if it's not, there is no need to point out how stupid I am)

Not true at all. A lot of the times the key will be whatever the first chord is, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's what the key is. If you're going to go by that logic, then I would choose the key by the last chord of the song. The last chord is normally whatever the tonic is. But that doesn't mean it always is, you should just learn your keys.

OP, what are the chords?
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
It is true that you can base the key off the first note for instance: Say Im playing a song with 3 chord changes in it, and I decide to solo. The first chord played is A then D then G. You could solo in the key of A. But alot of times it doesnt work like that in more difficult songs, the first note may be an A but halfway through the song itll change to be C, you can usually tell when there is a key change.
G major or minor is not in the key of A. G# diminished is though. The chords that you listed (assuming they're all major) are in the key of D major. So you're wrong. Just learn your keys everybody.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)