Honestly i haven't heard much of Savatage but the songs i did hear blew me away. Criss Oliva was a great guitar player. RIP.

But any way this is the thread where we discuss,argue, occasionally agree on everything Savatage and Trans-Siberian Orchestra. For those of you that don't know how TSO is connected to Savatage, Savatage eventually became TSO after Criss Oliva passed on.
Quote by Widow6
Great band, sucks to hear about Criss, though.

Yeah criss was amazing. He was better than most shredders today. So metal yet so beautiful.
TSO is such fail compared to Savatage, although unlike many I would say Savatage's high point was either Power of the Night or Hall of the Mountain King, not Streets.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by Mo Jiggity
TSO is such fail compared to Savatage, although unlike many I would say Savatage's high point was either Power of the Night or Hall of the Mountain King, not Streets.

i'd say Hall of the Mountain King. TSO is great but yes they are fail compared to Savatage.
It's a bit awkward at times, but TSO actually does put on a pretty good show. I'm lucky enough to be on the east side of the US, which means I get the version with Al Pitrelli and Mark Wood...that 7-string violin is awesome.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
It's a bit awkward at times, but TSO actually does put on a pretty good show. I'm lucky enough to be on the east side of the US, which means I get the version with Al Pitrelli and Mark Wood...that 7-string violin is awesome.

Im on the East side of the US too. I missed their New York show. I was pretty pissed because Steven Tyler sang a song with them
Not too big on TSO either, but Savatage is one of my favorite traditional metal bands.

You're approaching the island of the...
Sirens!
Sirens!
Hungry for man tonight!

They had such massive testicles of metal then.

EDIT: Not that the newer Dead Winter Dead and Wake of Magellan weren't awesome either.
Last edited by HamburgerBoy at Mar 14, 2009,
Hall of the Mountain King is one of the most memorable albums of all time. Jon and Criss were an impeccable duo.

^ I'm way down for The Wake of Magellan. I think it's a solid album, though the two-themed approach is kind of meh.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Mar 14, 2009,
Quote by Butt Rayge
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=747795

There are already many Savatage threads... And probably some TSO ones in the modern rock forum or whatever.

Anywho, Hall of the Mountain King is mt favourite heavy metal album ever. Criss' axework and Jon's vocals on that album are unmatched by anyone.

I couldnt find one. Hmmm??? Jons vocals were amazing same goes for Criss. he was an amazing guitar player