Poll: Do you believe in destiny?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you believe in destiny?
Yes Sir
37 18%
No
115 57%
dunno bro
51 25%
Voters: 203.
Page 1 of 3
Everything is predetermined. Every choice we will ever make has already been chosen. Now, our task, however, is to understand why we made that choice.

/matrix
Not at all, it's all just random and uncharted as far as i'm concerned. I believe in complete freewill and that every step is one step further into oblivion.
No. I could either go make a sandwich right now or go play guitar. Or I could stay here at the computer. It's all up to me.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quantum uncertainty kinda messes with the idea in my opinion.
"Loathe metaphors. Pander to undereducated masses. Get doctorate, have a real conversation" Mordin Solus
I don't believe that I have free will, in so far as I believe in Determinism. However I still don't think that everything follows a predetermined path.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by aaciseric
Not at all, it's all just random and uncharted as far as i'm concerned. I believe in complete freewill and that every step is one step further into oblivion.

How come then that you didn't chose your mother? The country where you were born?
What about your natural talents, did you chose them as well?

I think you should stop believing in freewill now
Deja Vu seems to show you things before it happens and that shows that has to be some sort of desinty.

But I've had instances where I had deja vu of my mother walking in on me masturbating. But because I recognized the situation, I pulled my pants up about 1 minute before she walked in.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by thanksgiving
Deja Vu seems to show you things before it happens and that shows that has to be some sort of desinty.

But I've had instances where I had deja vu of my mother walking in on me masturbating. But because I recognized the situation, I pulled my pants up about 1 minute before she walked in.

That's not Deja Vu. Deja Vu (already seen) is the feeling you get when you feel like you've been in this exact situation before. You haven't actually been in the situation before, it's just the long term and short term memory paths getting mixed up.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
That's not Deja Vu. Deja Vu (already seen) is the feeling you get when you feel like you've been in this exact situation before. You haven't actually been in the situation before, it's just the long term and short term memory paths getting mixed up.

But what happened is I was masturbating in the loungeroom while mum was gardening.

I remember like this dream I had that she caught me in that exact position. So I pulled my pants up, and not 1 minute later she walked in. I would have been caught

What is that called.. when you dream about your mum catching you masturbate?

Quote by Våd Hamster

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by thanksgiving
But what happened is I was masturbating in the loungeroom while mum was gardening.

I remember like this dream I had that she caught me in that exact position. So I pulled my pants up, and not 1 minute later she walked in. I would have been caught

deja vu

mine are becoming increasingly frequent, I fear I will see bad things
I believe that the plane of existence which we call reality has been predetermined by our actions and thoughts. It's an ongoing process which comprises each and ever individual as a whole.

But the plane of existence which we do not realises exists because we are too involved in our day-to-day lives does not follow the regular laws of action and predetermination.

It's kinda hard to follow, but that's the best way I can paraphrase it.
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
Quote by thanksgiving

No idea.
People often feel like they can predict the future in their dreams. They can't., Your dreams are your brain sorting out the days information and replaying it. Frequently your brain notices things that you didn't notice consciously.
For example before I started dating my gf I had a dream that she liked me. It was because my brain was interpreting signals that I hadn't noticed.

Then of course there is the fact that you only remember it because it came true. You probably dream hundreds of things, one came true so you remember it, but you discount the 100s of other things that didn't come true. It's just a coincidence.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Mar 14, 2009,
Quote by my_pony_bit_me
How come then that you didn't chose your mother? The country where you were born?

You totally missed his whole spill on calling it "all just random and uncharted."

What you are describing would be a Character Creation Screen in an RPG, not free will.

Destiny is one of those things that we will never know if it is true or not. I don't believe in it myself, but there is no real way to prove/disprove its existence.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Last edited by Xeron Brigs at Mar 14, 2009,
Quote by Xeron Brigs

Destiny is one of those things that we will never know if it is true or not. I don't believe in it myself, but there is no real way to prove/disprove its existence.

A good policy is not to believe in a thing until it can be proven.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
I don't know if we all have a destiny or if we're all just floatin' around accidentally like on a breeze, but I think, maybe it's both. Both things happening at the same time.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Wrong. If you can't disprove something it means it's true SCIENCE -0 CREATIONISM 9000!!!! SUCK IT DARWING, ATHEIST FALSE GOD!!

Sorry, I just watched a clip from expelled.

In other news, no, I don't believe in destiny.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Ur all $h1t

You clearly now very little about Quantum Physics
Freewill does not exist, but there is no predetermined path that you are supposed to go in.
Our past is set and unchangeable, I feel the future is just an extrapolation of your past history line. Anything I do is part of my destiny, even if I think I am in control, really I am just fulfilling my destiny. The trouble comes in predicting your destiny, its impossible. So even though it feels like we have free will, really we are just suckers in the universes master plan.
But what is this master plan?

If I'm guessing correctly, Cadbury is in control of our destiny.. soon we shall all meet a terribly tasty end.

Quote by Våd Hamster

It's hard to say. Who knows for sure? It's a question of faith more.

For me, I'm undecided. There's comfort there in knowing, but also there's the idea of shaping your life with free will. If the futures already drawn out, what's the point in living?
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
Quote by thanksgiving

I'd call that extremely perverted and fucked up.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Quote by Da Squiz
It's hard to say. Who knows for sure? It's a question of faith more.

For me, I'm undecided. There's comfort there in knowing, but also there's the idea of shaping your life with free will. If the futures already drawn out, what's the point in living?

Life is about the journey not the destination, and its not as if you can know for sure where your future will go.
I don't believe in freewill. I think it is just an illusion. That being said, I don't think it really matters. The world is what it is. Live with it.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
Quote by my_pony_bit_me

I think you should stop breathing now, life is clearly doing your brain damage if that's the kinda crap you're spewing out.

Of course I didn't choose my parents, I didn't make a conscious decision to be born. I only have the ability to choose the things I do and there is no path (IMO) that directs this for me, the outcomes of my actions are uncharted and the only way to predict them would be to look at trends from past events (in other words: psychics are bull****ters). So I think i'll continue to believe in freewill.
Last edited by aaciseric at Mar 14, 2009,
Quote by aaciseric
I think you should stop breathing now, live is clearly doing your brain damage if that's the kinda crap you're spewing out

Now THAT was funny.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Page 1 of 3