Hey I was wondering is this good for grunge music? (mostly nirvana, alice in chains, soundgarden, ect.) also what would be a decent distortion? Any help is appreciated
ಠ_ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ

Michael Kelly Patriot Ltd.

Spector N20004

Michael Kelly V65 Acoustic

Vintage 1965 Fender Bassman Stack

Crate GFX1200H On a Behringer Bass Cab

Orange Fund: $48
I personally prefer single coils for grunge, but yes that would work nicely. And for distortion I would recommend a Boss DS-1.
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
Quote by jsaatsaz
I personally prefer single coils for grunge, but yes that would work nicely. And for distortion I would recommend a Boss DS-1.

thanks there
p.s. could the low cut switch get a single-ish sound?
ಠ_ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ

Michael Kelly Patriot Ltd.

Spector N20004

Michael Kelly V65 Acoustic

Vintage 1965 Fender Bassman Stack

Crate GFX1200H On a Behringer Bass Cab

Orange Fund: $48
most guitars should really be fine for grunge but if you specifically want something nirvana:

Kurt used a modded jaguar. he threw on a humbucker and changed to a gibson style bridge. by the time he was done with it it was sort of a cross between a fender jaguar and a fender mustang. hence the jagstang.
if you want a guitar that will realllly sound like nirvana, though, get the earlier model of the Fender Cyclone, the mid 90's model. they sell for relatively cheap used if you find one. it sounds pure nirvana.
Quote by jsaatsaz

Yeah its a great pedal and very cheap, i have it and play Nirvana and Mudhoney through it and it sounds great. But yeah i think that guitar will sound great for grunge.
Last edited by Andym92 at Mar 27, 2009,
Its a pretty nice guitar, make sure you try a '62 reissue as well, just to compare the tones. If you want jag, and single and hum bucker tones, you could try the classic player hh, but I haven't tried it myself, so no opinions from me.
Quote by Zida
most guitars should really be fine for grunge but if you specifically want something nirvana:

Kurt used a modded jaguar. he threw on a humbucker and changed to a gibson style bridge. by the time he was done with it it was sort of a cross between a fender jaguar and a fender mustang. hence the jagstang.
if you want a guitar that will realllly sound like nirvana, though, get the earlier model of the Fender Cyclone, the mid 90's model. they sell for relatively cheap used if you find one. it sounds pure nirvana.

can't sign it like that
he did mod his jag to have 2 humbuckers (hence fenders idea to make a HH-Jag) and his Mustang to have a humbucker in the bridge (iirc). Both had a TOM style bridge - that didn't make them to be half mustang half jaguar though! he designed a guitar close to what fender used for their jagstang design to be made

check out www.kurtsequipment.com btw!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I would get that or a JagStang, Kurt Cobain used a JagStang, which was a Jaguar with a single coil thrown in the neck position. I happen to like the Jaguar 10x more then the Mustang, but for grunge the cyclone and the jagmaster are also two other guitars I would look at.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
^the jagstang was a body mixed between jaguar and mustang designs with a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck! The Fender model didn't really follow Kurts designs though, since he died before it was really finished.

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko
^the jagstang was a body mixed between jaguar and mustang designs with a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck! The Fender model didn't really follow Kurts designs though, since he died before it was really finished.

didn't I say that?
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Quote by jking948
didn't I say that?

nah you said it was a jag with a sc in the neck - its not the jag actually has 2 single coil pickups, he put a humbucker in the bridge!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko
nah you said it was a jag with a sc in the neck - its not the jag actually has 2 single coil pickups, he put a humbucker in the bridge!

but there is a single coil in the neck? So it is a jaguar with two added single coils rather then the HB in the neck.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Quote by jking948
but there is a single coil in the neck? So it is a jaguar with two added single coils rather then the HB in the neck.

no no no. the jaguar HAS two single coils, one in the neck, one in the bridge, and what kurt did with the jagstang (based on his jag modifications) is put a Humbucker in the bridge

The single coil was STOCK!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko
no no no. the jaguar HAS two single coils, one in the neck, one in the bridge, and what kurt did with the jagstang (based on his jag modifications) is put a Humbucker in the bridge

The single coil was STOCK!

that is exactly what I said at first...
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Quote by jking948
JagStang, which was a Jaguar with a single coil thrown in the neck position.

^dude, you didnt-_-
HE DIDN'T THROW THE FRIGGIN SINGLE COIL IN THERE, HE THREW THE HUMBUCKER IN THERE!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

to the dudes arguing: who cares

i always think of single coils as grunge but that jag is probably fine
signed,
your favorite poster
Quote by wemonir
to the dudes arguing: who cares

I probably do

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Nirvana and Soundgarden have tremendously different guitar sounds. Which one interests you more?
Quote by Flann
Nirvana and Soundgarden have tremendously different guitar sounds. Which one interests you more?

You're hugely right.

It really depends on the kind of sound you really want to get. Though Grunge was (is) mainly influenced by Heavy Metal/Hard Rock and Hardcore Punk, there were bands which tended to generate a Heavier sound (Soundgarden, Alice in Chains), and another ones which tended to generate a Punkier sound (Mudhoney, Nirvana).

If you want a Heavyish sound, any guitar with humbuckers would make good (the Jaguar HH as example), but if you want a Punkish sound, single coiled guitars should take the role (Mustang, Strat, Tele, original Jaguars, or P-90ed guitars, etc).

Edit: Talking about pedals, Boss DS-1 or DS-2 would work good. Maybe Metalzone, with appropiate settings.

-----------------------------------------------

Blog (mostly in spanish...)

Current favorite bands:

6. Cave In
5. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
4. Sparta
3. Biffy Clyro
2. Muse
1. Coheed and Cambria
Last edited by Antoine-Øleg at Mar 28, 2009,