(I'd take that last part out if you want any replies BTW.)

Get an electric guitar whenever you want or feel like it. Some people don't want to play the electric at all and never learn. Other people really want to play the electric and get one after a few months of having an acoustic and learning on one. So if you have the money, you might as well. If you would rather you could get a better acoustic.
You can play electric whenever you want.
Only buy one though if you really want to play electric guitar, if not whats the point?
I got my electric after playing 2 years of acoustic. But it doesnt mean you have to only play electric now, carry on playing both
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by E-PIG

please reply or kiss my

Now that wasn't very nice, was it?

I think you should buy an electric whenever you feel you're ready and you're used to playing acoustic guitar. Electric also takes some time to get used to, so don't buy one very late.
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
Nevarrr! Tool of the devil I tells ye.

You don't HAVE to go out and buy an electric. There's no rule that says all guitarists must play an electric guitar as well as/instead of an acoustic guitar. If you have the money and really want to play electric, then buy one. If not just save up your money for a nicer acoustic.
You might want to try out an electric guitar before you go out and buy one. If a friend has one, ask if you can play it.

Another way of looking at it, is that if you wait a few years before buying yourself an electric guitar, you'll know more about guitars and hopefully be a better player too. With a bit of saving up, you'll be able to afford a nicer guitar/amp .

But it really is a matter of personal preference. I wasn't desperate to get an electric, but my parents bought me one for christmas after I'd been playing my acoustic for a few years. I tend to play my electric and my acoustic for equal amounts of time now. Although my electric probably isn't as well looked after xD
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.