I play a Squier Affinity Strat, and i usually play in standard tuning. The past few times i have tuned down, when i tune down the first string, it snaps. I have a new song in drop C i want to learn but i don't want to snap a string while doing. What could be causing my string to do this? I play on D'Addario .09-.42's. I've tuned down to drop C and B before without any problems, it just started occuring. Any help? the only answer i know i won't consider is changing string gague, i'm holding out for a new guitar before i do that. the Strat is my only one.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
You seriously need a higher gauge string to play down to B unless you can get enough tension on 9's. Otherwise they'd just slap against the fretboard... Might be part of your problem but i dont know. Just a suggestion.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
maybe some sharp corners on your bridge saddles, take a good look with the strings off and file the edges lighty and see what happends from there, its the only thing i could think it was.

drop C on 9's.........you really need atleast 10's on that guitar for a better result in tone.
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
Quote by Oosh.
You seriously need a higher gauge string to play down to B unless you can get enough tension on 9's. Otherwise they'd just slap against the fretboard... Might be part of your problem but i dont know. Just a suggestion.

Yea, i know. Hopefully in about 6 months i'l be able to get the guiatr i'm looking at, then i am going to use my Squier for drop C# and lower, and then i will up string gague to about .11's
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural

Mesa Single Rec
the only answer i know i won't consider is changing string gague, i'm holding out for a new guitar before i do that. the Strat is my only one.

Why? That doesn't make any sense. The simplest solution is to use thicker strings for downtuning.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
When you tune DOWN, it snaps? Or when you tune it back up to standard?

If it's the first one, you definitley have a sharp edge on your bridge / nut / tuner.
do something really quickly
pluck just the 1st string
and turn ur tuner in the direction you normally would to tune down, but turn it just a little bit. is it getting higher?
because if u put the string the wrong way round the tuner when u strung ur guitar, u may have made the 2nd to 6th string the right way round, but put the 1st string the wrong side of the tuner, meaning turning down would actually tighten the string.
or maybe, turn the tuner and look closely at the direction the tuning head is turning, because i once had a tuner that went the other direction to the others on my cheap yamaha erg 121
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
Quote by J Mud
get another guitar for alternate tunings

Thats exactly what i'm doing with getting this other guitar. I will use it for standard since it doesn't have a tremolo bar and i never use my tremolo bar in standard tuning, and i will format my Strat for Drop C# and lower
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural