scored this amp off ebay a couple of weeks and just now got a chance to try it out on my buddies cheap marshall 2 X 12. after jamming it for about 10 minutes the sound cut dramitically and a weird hissy sound popped up. cut the amp off for a couple of minutes then cut it back on. amp worked fine for about 5 minutes... then started doing it again. switched guitar cords connecting the cab to amp... i know... should've ran speaker cables from the beginning.

anyways... what do y'all think is causing this amp to do this?
Didn't you just post a thread about how brootal your rig is?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Wow. Is the cab 120 watt handling? You match up the ohms? Power tubes going? That fact that you used an instrument cable...
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
Quote by endless_fight1
Wow. Is the cab 120 watt handling? You match up the ohms? Power tubes going? That fact that you used an instrument cable...

yeah the ohms match.... 8ohm. all the power tubes were glowing. also let the amp warm up before engaging stand by.

you think using a instrument cable couldve ****ed it up?
Well did you try it with a speaker cable?
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
Yeah, speaker cable = good.

INtermittant failures like that usually are a bad solder joint. Given what it's doing, it's probably the ground lug of one of the gian pots/MV pot...

*shrugs* just the guess now. take it to a tech.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by DLrocket89
Yeah, speaker cable = good.

INtermittant failures like that usually are a bad solder joint. Given what it's doing, it's probably the ground lug of one of the gian pots/MV pot...

*shrugs* just the guess now. take it to a tech.

i did take the pretubes out to see what kind they were. is there a possibility one of the tubes isn't pushed in all they... one of them loose causing it to do this?
I was under the impression that if you powered up an amp connected to a cab by anything OTHER than a speaker cable, it was immediately fcked. That's what the guy at Guitar Center told me when I bought my first half stack; is this true?

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 > Maxon OD808 > Boss DD-20 > Strymon blueSky > Splawn Pro Stock > Emperor 4x12

the lives to come

Quote by kschaef
I was under the impression that if you powered up an amp connected to a cab by anything OTHER than a speaker cable, it was immediately fcked. That's what the guy at Guitar Center told me when I bought my first half stack; is this true?

if that was the case my amp wouldnt cut on... the amp will play fine for a little over 5 minutes then it will cut out. i;m startn to think theres a bad connection somewhere... poor solder
Sounds like dying power tubes

Quote by kschaef

No.

Over time it will cause damage, but running it for a few minutes using a guitar cable shouldn't do anything, hell my friend did it at a show (without knowing it - he thought it was his speaker cable) with it on for about an hour and a half and nothing happened
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com