Hey all^^

I decided i'd order a HSS MiM strat (http://www.thomann.de/be/fender_stdstrat_fr_hss_rw_bk_2009.htm) but now i'm doubting about the pickups i should get in it xD

As far as the humbucker goes, i was thinking about a Dimarzio Super Distortion and a friend adviced me to get a Dimarzio virtual vintage 54 pro in the middle and a Dimarzio virtual vintage heavy blues 2 in the neck as far as single coils go.
Any opinions on this pickup setup or possibly alternatives? (Preferably with a reason why they're better:p )

The type of music i play is quite variated, it goes from metal from the 80s (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, ya know, that stuff:p) to soft rock (3 Doors Down and Poets of the Fall). I could also see myself going down a bluesy/funk road but i ain't too sure about that for the moment so it should be taken into consideration but not play a major role..

Any help is greatly appreciated =D

PS. As far as the amp goes, for the moment i got a ****ty Roland Cube 60 but once i did my summerjob i'll be able to afford an ENGL Blackmore so that isn't an issue here
Last edited by Gego at Mar 19, 2009,
well, what about getting the guitar and trying its stock pups before changing ? ...
Quote by Woozye
well, what about getting the guitar and trying its stock pups before changing ? ...

Thing is tho, it's a MiM so i don't expect too much from the pickups:p and seeing i keep hearing that at least the humbucker ain't too good..
Super Distortion is the king of 80's metal so you should be set there. It can also get some lower gain rock tones.

I would put some area single coils in the two left. They sound fantastic!
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
bridge pup - Dimarzio Super Distortion
middle pup - Dimarzio Air Norton S
neck pup - Dimarzio HS-3
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
bridge pup - Dimarzio Super Distortion
middle pup - Dimarzio Air Norton S
neck pup - Dimarzio HS-3

Ain't the air norton a single coil sized humbucker? I'd prefer to have a "pure" single coil there:p
Quote by bigfoamfinger
Check the sound clips on their site(below).

The Cruiser Neck pup sounds amazing for blues- Ill be getting one for sure
The Virtual Vintage Blues sounds good too

http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/

The thing with those sound clips tho, they're all on different amps that are using a different EQ. And since most of the tone comes from the amp, i don't go purely by sound clips they post It might just be the EQ and amp i'm digging and not the pickup:p
Quote by Gego
The thing with those sound clips tho, they're all on different amps that are using a different EQ. And since most of the tone comes from the amp, i don't go purely by sound clips they post It might just be the EQ and amp i'm digging and not the pickup:p

Very true, but even somewhere like Youtube is gonna be the same thing where you dont know the true tone, unless you find someone using the same amp as you. Dimarzios site also gives you the tone level for Treble,mid,and bass which is helpful also

I am in the same boat as you with that guitar, looking for similar pups. Im going with a Duncan Invader for the bridge, with Dimarzio neck and middle for blues
Quote by bigfoamfinger
Very true, but even somewhere like Youtube is gonna be the same thing where you dont know the true tone, unless you find someone using the same amp as you. Dimarzios site also gives you the tone level for Treble,mid,and bass which is helpful also

I am in the same boat as you with that guitar, looking for similar pups. Im going with a Duncan Invader for the bridge, with Dimarzio neck and middle for blues

I'm edging towards the heavy blues 2 for the neck since according to the description, it handles heavy gain quite well even though it's a single coil:p And with a name like that, it has to have at least something bluesy in it xD Haven't found too many reviews of it tho
Sorry but... bump:p (Was on the third page and need more opinions )
Quote by Gego
Ain't the air norton a single coil sized humbucker? I'd prefer to have a "pure" single coil there:p

both the air norton and HS-3 are single coil sizaed humbuckers.

for "pure" single coil.

middle pup - Dimarzio Blue Velvet (i think they discounted this though)
neck pup - Dimarzio Red Velvet
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
both the air norton and HS-3 are single coil sizaed humbuckers.

for "pure" single coil.

middle pup - Dimarzio Blue Velvet (i think they discounted this though)
neck pup - Dimarzio Red Velvet

I've been looking around for a blue velvet but had no luck:s Any alternatives?
Quote by TheQuailman
Sorry, I didn't know. The link in your opening post is dead.

Woops thanks for letting me know, fixed it xD
How's your budget? If it's high I'd immediately suggest Bare Knuckles for the tone and sheer versatility. In the bridge position I'll suggest the Holy Diver; it's got a good output to tease the amp with and it's so wonderfully thick and yet not overbearingly so that I can almost guarantee your Strat will sound beefier than a lot of low end Les Pauls. The tone is smooth but punchy and muscular and it's brilliantly suited to Strat style instruments. The middle and neck positions shouldn't be too high output to retain versatility but they should be able to balance with the Diver. I suggest Slowhands, because they're middy enough to work perfectly with the same amp settings as the Diver, they have the output to match but they still have a vintage attitude and killer tone (the neck position Slowhand is my personal favourite Strat solo tone)

There's a lower cost (albeit less refined tone) version of this killer combo; a DiMarzio Breed bridge model coupled with a pair of DiMarzio FS-1s should work exactly the same way (thick bridge pickup with middier than usual single coils to match) and if you can't stretch to the Bare Knuckles I heartily reccomend this combination.

That's my two pence. Hope it helped or at least gave you some ideas.
Quote by Rock Pig
How's your budget? If it's high I'd immediately suggest Bare Knuckles for the tone and sheer versatility. In the bridge position I'll suggest the Holy Diver; it's got a good output to tease the amp with and it's so wonderfully thick and yet not overbearingly so that I can almost guarantee your Strat will sound beefier than a lot of low end Les Pauls. The tone is smooth but punchy and muscular and it's brilliantly suited to Strat style instruments. The middle and neck positions shouldn't be too high output to retain versatility but they should be able to balance with the Diver. I suggest Slowhands, because they're middy enough to work perfectly with the same amp settings as the Diver, they have the output to match but they still have a vintage attitude and killer tone (the neck position Slowhand is my personal favourite Strat solo tone)

There's a lower cost (albeit less refined tone) version of this killer combo; a DiMarzio Breed bridge model coupled with a pair of DiMarzio FS-1s should work exactly the same way (thick bridge pickup with middier than usual single coils to match) and if you can't stretch to the Bare Knuckles I heartily reccomend this combination.

That's my two pence. Hope it helped or at least gave you some ideas.

I fear that's a bit out of my range:p Thanks for the oppinion tho^^
Quote by Gego
I fear that's a bit out of my range:p Thanks for the oppinion tho^^

In that case I still heartily reccomend the DiMarzios.
Breed and FS-1. Honestly, the description I gave of the Bare Knuckles fits these just as well; there's honestly not too much difference because these DiMarzios are actually some of the best the company make IMO.
Quote by Rock Pig
In that case I still heartily reccomend the DiMarzios.
Breed and FS-1. Honestly, the description I gave of the Bare Knuckles fits these just as well; there's honestly not too much difference because these DiMarzios are actually some of the best the company make IMO.

Is the breed as good for a vintage tone as the super distortion tho? Seeing i absolutely love metal from the 80s
Quote by Gego
Is the breed as good for a vintage tone as the super distortion tho? Seeing i absolutely love metal from the 80s

It is so much better at everything you want to do than the SD, especially vintage tone.
The key thing about the SD is that it's ceramic, meaning that your soft rock and blues will sound rubbish and your 80s metal will have a modern edge that you might want to avoid. The Breed sounds chunky and high output but has a very nice PAFesque voicing, making it absolutely perfect. Trust me, it'll handle your metal perfectly.
Quote by Rock Pig
It is so much better at everything you want to do than the SD, especially vintage tone.
The key thing about the SD is that it's ceramic, meaning that your soft rock and blues will sound rubbish and your 80s metal will have a modern edge that you might want to avoid. The Breed sounds chunky and high output but has a very nice PAFesque voicing, making it absolutely perfect. Trust me, it'll handle your metal perfectly.

I used to hear the Super Distortion was THE 80's metal pickup o.O But i'll look into it tho
Any other opinions?
Sorry for bumping this but... I got an added concern/question.
It just hit me, is the Dimarzio Heavy Blues 2 a single coil or a single coil sized humbucker?
^It's a stacked humbucker. I still suggest the FS-1 but the Heavy Blues is a nice pickup. A little less top end snap than a true single coil though, which I don't like much. The best stacked 'buckers DiMarzio make are IMO the Area series.

Quote by Gego
I used to hear the Super Distortion was THE 80's metal pickup o.O But i'll look into it tho
Any other opinions?

It, erm, is.
Iron Maiden and Motley Crue used it.
I personally prefer the Breed. Try both.
I'm mainly standing by the Breed because it's going into a Strat. The Super Distortion is nice but it's quite toppy and I wouldn't necessarily want to put it in an alder bodied, maple necked instrument. Then again Iron Maiden did so try it.
I'm really confident though that the Breed will beef up your sound and just work a lot better. I insist you go out and try a JEM77V (with Breeds) and a Strat style guitar with SDs. If you can't or if you prefer the SD that's fine but I really think the Breeds will just work a lot better in the context of a Strat.
Quote by Rock Pig
^It's a stacked humbucker. I still suggest the FS-1 but the Heavy Blues is a nice pickup. A little less top end snap than a true single coil though, which I don't like much. The best stacked 'buckers DiMarzio make are IMO the Area series.

It, erm, is.
Iron Maiden and Motley Crue used it.
I personally prefer the Breed. Try both.
I'm mainly standing by the Breed because it's going into a Strat. The Super Distortion is nice but it's quite toppy and I wouldn't necessarily want to put it in an alder bodied, maple necked instrument. Then again Iron Maiden did so try it.
I'm really confident though that the Breed will beef up your sound and just work a lot better. I insist you go out and try a JEM77V (with Breeds) and a Strat style guitar with SDs. If you can't or if you prefer the SD that's fine but I really think the Breeds will just work a lot better in the context of a Strat.

Will do
And i've been taking a look at the area's too, but i'm absolutely clueless wich to take in wich position o.O And when i found out the Heavy Blues 2 was a single coil that also was quite good for gainy stuff, i fell inlove with it:p