Hello,

I am buying a new guitar and I really want Fender Stratocaster. It is really imoprtant for me that it looks like the one David Gilmour had it in 70's(black). But it must be max 600€, what do you recommend?

Thank you very much!
MIM fender. i don't know the conversion rate though so maybe an MIA fender.

how many dollars is 600€ ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Last edited by mikeyElite at Mar 14, 2009,
Quote by mikeyElite
how many dollars is 600€ ?

600.00 EUR = 775.710 USD
The 50's Classic Strats made in Mexico aren't bad. Check this guys site, he actually recommends them www.gilmourish.com
Gilmour didn't have a special Strat, he bought it off the rack so don't think that you will need something special. Any Strat with vintage output single coils will do, but it depends what era of his tone you want. If you want Momentary Lapse of Reason/Division Bell/Pulse DVD then you should look into his EMG Gilmour set for example. Anyways check that site out.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by vaaan
Ok, I changed my my mind, 600€ is too much.
so...I was looking on thomann for strats and i found this two, but i cant decide which one.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_std_stratocaster_mn_bk_2009.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_mex50_strat_mn_blk.htm

What do you think?

The 50s strat will play soooo much better. I have the Tele equivalent, and it's killer. I still think if you can get the money that the 70s strat would better suit you.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
And like we always say on here, The amp is more than half the sound so at least have a Hiwatt head and one of their better cabs with the Fane speakers. Should be no more than 2500 euro. and that's the left channel. Can't remember what he used on the right.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Hi,

Which guitar do you recommend:

- ‘50s Stratocaster Classic ,
- ‘60s Stratocaster Classic ,
- ‘70s Stratocaster Classic , (yea, I think I will have enough money, ha)
Link: http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?section=guitars&cat=stratocaster&subcat=classic

or

- Standard Stratocaster
Link: http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0144602306

Important: I will be playing -classic rock(like pink floyd, led zeppelin, deep purple, rolling stones, etc.),
-hard rock(guns n roses,ac/dc, black sabbath, ozzy o.,),
-and sometimes some metal(metallica, iron maiden).

Which is the most versatile?
Quote by DSOTM80
'50s Classic Strat all the way

Hey, I have another question,

Does maple mean that it has white neck, and if it says rosewood its a black neck?

Also is it possible for the 50s classic strat to have black(rosewood?) neck?

Thank you!
^ yes and no, in that order. Maple is so much cooler, anyway.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by vaaan
Hey, I have another question,

Does maple mean that it has white neck, and if it says rosewood its a black neck?

Also is it possible for the 50s classic strat to have black(rosewood?) neck?

Thank you!

The 50's strat has a V shaped neck, which not everyone likes the feel of. It's great if you tend to wrap your thumb around the top of the neck but not so great if you place your thumb behind the neck.

I'd go for the 60's or 70's classic. The 70's has a big headstock like Gilmour's in that pic.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by Sid McCall
^ yes and no, in that order. Maple is so much cooler, anyway.

There is a tonal and play difference to take into consideration. You gotta try before you buy.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
I have bought classic 70s! It ROCKS!!!! I'm extremely happy.

But there are two thing that concerns(i hope it is the right word ) me:

1. How do I pull out the plastic cover/protector under the control knobs(if you know what i mean)

2. don't know how to explain this but anyway... When I am not playing the guitar, it is sshhhsshhwishing ...this wasn't happening with my old guitar. Also I haven't replaced the strings yet...is this the cause?

Thank you for your help and sorry for my bad english.
congrats on your purchase

the noise you're referring to is probably attributed to the fact that your new guitar has single coil pickups, which are just naturally noisy.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by vaaan
I have bought classic 70s! It ROCKS!!!! I'm extremely happy.

But there are two thing that concerns(i hope it is the right word ) me:

1. How do I pull out the plastic cover/protector under the control knobs(if you know what i mean)

2. don't know how to explain this but anyway... When I am not playing the guitar, it is sshhhsshhwishing ...this wasn't happening with my old guitar. Also I haven't replaced the strings yet...is this the cause?

Thank you for your help and sorry for my bad english.

can you give more detail for the second question?

and the first just keep at it and pull it off, shouldn't take long, you can take the knobs off it it really is inconvenient.
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
take the kobs off 1 at a time.
"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
...They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor"

Techno artist and rap producer in training

Maple:

Rosewood:

I prefer maple anyday.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Quote by Sad But False
can you give more detail for the second question?

and the first just keep at it and pull it off, shouldn't take long, you can take the knobs off it it really is inconvenient.

When the guitar is plugged in the amp it's not completely quiet. It is making a ssssshhhhh noise.
Quote by vaaan
When the guitar is plugged in the amp it's not completely quiet. It is making a ssssshhhhh noise.

It's the single coil pickups, a common strat thing.
thx for help...

But is it safe to take the knobs off. Sounds like an only option. Should I be very careful, or is it very easy to do and I shouldn't worry.
Quote by vaaan
thx for help...

But is it safe to take the knobs off. Sounds like an only option. Should I be very careful, or is it very easy to do and I shouldn't worry.

Yes, it is safe to take the knobs off. All you have to do is get a thin, strong object (such as a butter knife) and stick it under the knob and gently wiggle it up and down till the knob comes off.

Also almost all Fender single coil pickups buzz/hum a bit, no big deal, but if it is you can always buy noiseless pickups at guitarcenter.com.

Peace and keep on rocking.
Quote by DSOTM80
The 50's Classic Strats made in Mexico aren't bad. Check this guys site, he actually recommends them www.gilmourish.com
Gilmour didn't have a special Strat, he bought it off the rack so don't think that you will need something special. Any Strat with vintage output single coils will do, but it depends what era of his tone you want. If you want Momentary Lapse of Reason/Division Bell/Pulse DVD then you should look into his EMG Gilmour set for example. Anyways check that site out.

+1
i agree a mex 50s strat in black with cream hardwear and maple neck
switch the scratchplate to black and there you go
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
the noise is humming from the pickups (i have a strat myself) and don't change the pickups to the noiseless ones there not gilmour sounding.

If you want that gilmour's sound those 70s MIM Pickups will do for DSOTM and WYWH or any pervious one.

If you looking for the Wall and Animals sound i suggest getting a Seymour Duncan SSL-5 or a Dimarzio FS-1 for the bridge because of its hotter output plus gilmour used it during those days.

For the neck and mid you can keep it stock or you can change it the the Fender CS 69 Pickups. If your hardcore :p go with a fender cs 50s on the neck like the signature

But really those pickups are clones of the cs69 but mim

Enjoy

Mobiusr