Alright, I really want to get my amp selection narrowed down, and I just have a few choices and I want to hear everyones thoughts.

First, Im going to be using this amp for gigging in the future, but right now mainly for band practice. I want it to be a tube of course, and I want a really clean tone. I'm going to play with some delay pedals and such through it if that matters. My budget is probably $1000 max. So here's the amps I'm thinking about. I'll also be buying a Telecaster later on this year to play through it as well.

1.) Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue

Played one, sounded fantastic, BUT, it is only 22 watts(tube). Is that going to be enough for gigging? I've read it breaks up around 4-5 volume too. Locally, the one I played is selling for $1495 which is way over my price limit, but I found a used one that the guy has had for a few months and only played a few times, and he's selling it for $900.

2.) Peavey Classic 30/112 combo amp

Had this one on my mind for a long time, but heard some bad things about it. It is a 30 watt which is nice, and a lot cheaper than the Fender, but is the sound quality going to be even close to that of the DRRI?

3.) A cab+head stack. Peavey Classic 30 head and Peavey 212 cab maybe? Crate? I could pick up the peavey cab and head for about $1000, or the other guitarist in my band has a Crate cab and head that sounds actually really nice that he got for really cheap. Your thoughts?

Please help me out guys, Im a pretty big noob with amps, so if you guys have any suggestions or tips, I'd really appreciate it. From the info I get here, I'll be going around and trying stuff out locally and hopefully finding my new amp. Thanks a lot!
The classics don't have the same tube type as the fender, that alone changes the sound spectrum a whole lot, then for a really clean tone you will need way over 22 watts, because clean means headroom, small amps are pretty nice for lead tones because to hear them band-volume you must crank them, but they don't sport much clean headroom, but that's standards, try it out for yourself at a shop, and if you like it go get the used one, with a telecaster the clean will be unbelievable for sure, the fender tube circuitry coupled with one of their branded guitars is usually a pretty good combination.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Last edited by Gäbe at Mar 14, 2009,
If you're gigging and want a really clean sound, look beyong the Deluxe Reverb - it sounds great at low volumes, but in all honesty won't hold up too well at high volumes.

I'd personally recommend looking into things like a used Fender Twin, or if you'd prefer a new amp, the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (if you buy it used, try to find one that was made in the USA).

Good luck
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
I dissagree on the headroom comment, I've blasted my C30s clean channel full up and it does get a good bit of dirt, but responds very well to how hard you pick. The Fender might be different though as I've only played them for distorted tones

I'd probably take the fender though, my favorite fender amp by far.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Oh yeah don't get me wrong, its a sweeeet amp, I'm just not confident enough it'd hold too well in a gig for purely clean sounds. It really does start to overdrive early from what i remember (though that in itself sounds great too )

Had a fair bit of honk too from what i recall
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

The guitarist in my band is running just a Crate V33 head with a crate cab and in all honesty, it sounds really nice. I know I'd probably get flamed for that, but I'm not kidding. They are really cheap too, I might pick up the V33 head when I get paid because of the price. He can get some really clean tones through it, and easily get distortion too. Im sure we will use a little bit of distortion once in a while, so that could be handy.

The Twin Reverb was an amp I really wanted, but it's way too expensive (retails for $2000). Is there anything else?
^You want to look at Twin Reverbs on ebay, not the newer versions (though those are also meant to be good). I'm not really too good with old Fenders, but you want to search on ebay for the earlier Silverface Twins i would think.
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

you could get the new deluxe vm or bandmaster vm for cheaper than a new DRRI.. 40 watts and master vol should give ya plenty of headroom.
"If the blues are a living thing, Charlie Patton and Robert Johnson taught it how to walk; Muddy and Howlin' Wolf taught it to run and Stevie and Eric may have made it rock but it was T-Bone Walker who made it electric."
I got a V33 head with cab for $200 used... and it's awesome. The OD blows, but I just use the clean channel with my pedalboard... Just my .02
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I got a V33 head with cab for $200 used... and it's awesome. The OD blows, but I just use the clean channel with my pedalboard... Just my .02

Wow you got an amazing deal. This is the setup im probably going to go with. The guitarist in my band has it and it sounds great. Too bad MF sold out of all the heads, and the cab I was gunna buy sold yesterday(was a 120w 4x12 cab)...
Last edited by Silverstein14 at Mar 17, 2009,