so i was wondering...
how did page get that nice tone at royal albert hall (the zeppelin dvd). i used to think that he used his tonebender, but the jimmy page crotm article said that the last time he used his bender was in '69 (and in montreux in '71)

any ideas?
"Everybody must get stoned!" - Bob Dylan

Great 59' Les Paul. Whatever Marshall he was using at the time (plexi?). And his hands.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Yeah, page got notorious to tweak numerous tones out of only his guitar controls, also to mention that his lps were tweaked with special pot electronics, all of them were push-pulls with each a special function, two were coil splits, one was a phase inverter and the other a killswitch if I'm not mistaken. Anyways simply using your tone and volume controls can get you a pretty wide array of tones.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
all that fuzz from only an amp and guitar???
wow
"Everybody must get stoned!" - Bob Dylan

Quote by Gäbe
Yeah, page got notorious to tweak numerous tones out of only his guitar controls, also to mention that his lps were tweaked with special pot electronics, all of them were push-pulls with each a special function, two were coil splits, one was a phase inverter and the other a killswitch if I'm not mistaken. Anyways simply using your tone and volume controls can get you a pretty wide array of tones.

no. no. no.

he only did the mods to his guitar in the 90s (?) - he definitely didn't have it in the led-zep-days!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
He used several different amps in his rig. His main ones were Marshalls, but he did have Orange, Supro, and Hiwatt. One of his Marshall's was hot rodded to be 200 watt, the only thing really special 'bout his '59 Les Paul was a rounded bridge so he could play each string with the violin bow. His overdrive came straight from the amp.
His RAH rig:

59 Les Paul
Vox Wah
Custom 100w Hiwatt Head

Hiwatts did not distort very much back then, so Page had one custom-made so it would have more drive. If you want the closest replica to the Hiwatt he uses, go here:

Royal Amp co.
Yep there is NO fuzz at RAH, can't stress that enough. It's pure Jimmy Page Hiwatt as mentioned. The 100 watt head was set like this at RAH:

Brillance Volume:7-8
Bass :8-9
Treble :10
Middle :10
Presence :6
Master Volume:7-8

Oddly enough RAH was the only show where he sounded like that with his Hiwatts.
Other minor items there include the Vox Grey Wah, EP2 Echoplex and a Vox C02 Echo.