TL;DR: Friends and I built a hut in the forest out of branches and rocks in order to smoke pot in sanctuary. More people start using it, and it later gets destroyed by some entity (probably park service). We're now building a new one.

So a few months ago my friends and I started constructing this... I guess the best way to describe it is a hut... in the open space/state park immediately outside the town. This open space/state park managed by what I can only assume is some sort of park service, which is important, though I'll explain later. The location was about 70 or 80 yards from the trail in a hollow thicket of bushes, and was well concealed (or so we thought).

We ended up spending several days bending and weaving the live bushes together to form a roof as well as putting tons more dead sticks in. We also dug out the floor of the hut a good foot and a half, and found some flagstones nearby to make a nicer floor. It took a solid week of working a few hours a day to accomplish, but we were very proud of our creation.

Anyway, over the past month or so we've been noticing various clues that other people had used our hut. Bits of trash, a pillow, some wide pieces of wood to sit on... Someone even cleared out all the rocks near the entrance and made a nice little path. No one really disrespected it, even the trash was in a handy little bag on the side. Eventually we started encountering the people who had discovered it and they were pretty chill and smoked us down.

Apparently though, at some point in the last week, someone (and, I'm guessing park service) discovered it, tore down our roof and walls, and literally FILLED IN the hole. We initially suspected some drunk pieces of **** found it and decided to destroy it out of malice, but it honestly felt professional. The walls were strong, the hole was deep, and destroying both in the manner in which they were would have taken more determination then some drunk high school jock would have.

This probably resulted from us using the same general path to get to it every time which cut a visible path through the brush, not concealing the entrance (moving the rocks, while nice, was probably a bad idea), and its generally close proximity to the trail head and a major trail. But I'm still pissed, since we really didn't harm nature at all, take any with us, or bring any civilization out there. We just "rearranged" it.

So, yea. That's my story/rant. We're going to start constructing another one over spring break deeper in the forest, and any suggestions/tips/anecdotes pertaining to building and concealing huts would be most welcome. Anyone ever build anything like this? We're just a bunch of high kids with absolutely no woodcraft skills. Help? :P
Last edited by NorseGodofRock at Mar 14, 2009,
Make sure to conceal the pathway in future.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
My only suggestion is to go as deep into the forest as you can. If you make it half a mile away from the nearest trail, park service, depending on how often and deep they go into the forest, will not notice and your structure will last many months/year(s).
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
make it further away from the trail. Me and my friends go in the middle of nowhere.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Judging from his post, it was most likely the park service.

Quote by NorseGodofRock
(probably park service)

Quote by NorseGodofRock
This open space/state park managed by what I can only assume is some sort of park service

Quote by NorseGodofRock
someone (and, I'm guessing park service)
Last edited by 100%guitarmad at Mar 14, 2009,
ha. that sucks. next time put a bear trap in the path. OR dig a whole and stick blades out of it. that'll teach people goin back there.
Quote by NorseGodofRock
Friends and I built a hut in the forest out of branches and rocks in order to smoke pot in sanctuary. More people start using it, and it later gets destroyed by some entity (probably park service). We're now building a new one.

Whoooops.
🙈 🙉 🙊
When you and your buds build it, mind taking some pictures and posting them? This sounds pretty cool
K coo'
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by NorseGodofRock
TL;DR: Friends and I built a hut in the forest out of branches and rocks in order to smoke pot in sanctuary. More people start using it, and it later gets destroyed by some entity (probably park service). We're now building a new one.

What the hell, entity?

You can be such a dick when you're drunk...

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by Draken
Did you have a permit to build a structure?

NPS will slap you if you ask them "can I build a hut in the forest?"
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by entity0009
Whoooops.

It was YOUUUU!!

Quote by SunDrop
ha. that sucks. next time put a bear trap in the path. OR dig a whole and stick blades out of it. that'll teach people goin back there.

Yea, haha. Wish we could find some prickly bush thicket and build some sort of labyrinth with our hut at the center...

Quote by Mudmen190
Find the guys you met there before and rebuild it better.

That'd be a good idea, but I think the problem with the first hut was that the more people used it, the easier it was to find. We don't know them at all and they'd probably share it with others. Whatever we make in the future will have to be much more private.

Quote by young slapper
When you and your buds build it, mind taking some pictures and posting them? This sounds pretty cool

You bet dude, I was thinking about documenting it from start to finish anyway. If we do this, I'll for sure keep UG updated. :P

Quote by Draken
Did you have a permit to build a structure?

No of course not, and thus and I somewhat understand why it was destroyed. Not our land. I'm not entirely indignant, but it still inconvenienced us and set us back.