Page 1 of 2
Well I've noticed that people that are Radiohead fans just hate Creep, they do, I included.
Why?
Most of us got to know Radiohead for that song.
Personally I knew Creep for a long time and was not interested in them until I heard Kid A, then I became a true fan.
My hypothesis is this: When you love something so deep that you feel connected to it in a metaphysical way to it, you want it to your self, so you feel that they are violating you by singing a long to that particular band or song. Then when you listen to that song it's like seeing an ex that cheated on you.

So what do you think?
Member #? of theVIVA MEXICO CLUB

Beware of the Lawyer: the Dog is Harmless.
I think you are thinking way too much into it is what i think, who cares if people dont like it? you cant like EVERY song.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Its not any crazy metaphysical stuff or anything it just happens like alot of pearl jam fans hate "daughter" lots of nirvana fans hate "Smells like Teen Spirit" its not because the song sucks or anything its because its the first song they heard and the radio played the **** out of it on air for months untill no one liked it then proceeded to another song.
Quote by bush_slayer_07
Its not any crazy metaphysical stuff or anything it just happens like alot of pearl jam fans hate "daughter" lots of nirvana fans hate "Smells like Teen Spirit" its not because the song sucks or anything its because its the first song they heard and the radio played the **** out of it on air for months untill no one liked it then proceeded to another song.

I agree. The radio kept the song in constant rotation until it became unlistenable. They probably liked the song at one time, hell it was probably the song that got them into the band. However, after hearing it so much, it has about 1/1,000,000 the power it did the first time.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Because it reminds me of my awkward 12 year old self.

Its fun to play though..
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
I like it a little bit, but it's kind of boring and it was exhuastingly overplayed when it came out. It's fun to play on guitar, especially acoustically, but it's nothing special.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
I love Pablo Honey. I don't see why it gets all the crappy feedback. and Creep is catchy as hell.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
My reason for not really liking that album as a whole is that it just isn't really Radiohead. It just doesn't live up to everything else they've put out. That isn't to say the music on Pablo Honey is bad...it's just missing that Radiohead-ness.

Not to mention they don't even play anything off of Pablo Honey live. If the band themselves has shunned an album then I can't really be proud of it either.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
I like it...it's fun to sing.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Most fans (even the band) consider OK Computer to symbolize a major shift in Radiohead's style. Personally, I think that Pablo Honey and that other album (I forget what its called) prominently exude elements of later Radiohead and isn't too far off nor bad at all.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
Most fans (even the band) consider OK Computer to symbolize a major shift in Radiohead's style. Personally, I think that Pablo Honey and that other album (I forget what its called) prominently exude elements of later Radiohead and isn't too far off nor bad at all.

Is it the Bends?

Cause I rather liked the Bends. It has some standout tracks like Street Spirit which gives the Radiohead-ness like feel and it's some sort of transition.
"The Bends" already demonstrates their tendency towards experimental & progressive music. "Pablo Honey" was just straight-forward alt. rock, and I think that's why a lot of people don't like it as much- it doesn't really stand apart from all the other 90's alt. rock & britpop music.
Quote by toyboxmonster
"Pablo Honey" was just straight-forward alt. rock, and I think that's why a lot of people don't like it as much- it doesn't really stand apart from all the other 90's alt. rock & britpop music.

Personally, I disagree, but I realize there's nothing I can do to change your opinion on the subject.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
Personally, I disagree, but I realize there's nothing I can do to change your opinion on the subject.

...I like the album a lot.
But it obviously isn't very experimental.
decent song, far from there strongest song. and i hadnt heard creep till months after i got into radiohead(when i got into them, i bought the bends and OK comp. and practically lived off them for about 3 months). I heard no surprises first,i always thought that was there biggest single until i bought pablo and then wikipedia'd radiohead.
creep is a classic, tons of good band cover the song and weezer front man says its one of the best song using 4 chords.
Quote by funINfuneral
creep is a classic, tons of good band cover the song and weezer front man says its one of the best song using 4 chords.

Of course, we should hold "weezer front man"'s opinion as the word of God.
I can understand why Radiohead refuses to play it. It must have been scary to think that that might have been it, just one hit.

Pablo Honey was the first Radiohead album I ever bought, and to be honest it bored me a little. I think because I had casually heard some stuff from Kid A and OK prior, it just made Pablo Honey bland and uninteresting. I don't think it deserves all the bad rap though; "You" is one of the best album openers ever.
I think most of the songs on "Pablo Honey" are very good. The Astoria London live DVD really captures the energy of their early stuff. The thing is that the first (maybe even the first two) albums appeal to a different audience than the ones following it/them.
Radiohead are overated.
Plenty of more unknown creative geniuses to listen to.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Sepperate statements.

All it takes is a look at a religious radiohead fan's mp3 player nad you can tell they haven't explored much.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by philjay
Sepperate statements.

All it takes is a look at a religious radiohead fan's mp3 player nad you can tell they haven't explored much.

So what does that have to do with Radiohead?
I like to try and think of Radiohead as two different bands; pre-Kid A and post Kid-A.

Creep is awesome.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by Time Seller
So what does that have to do with Radiohead?

Nothing, not directly. My original point was that Radiohead were overated (imo obviously). That means that in comparison to other bands that I have heard, I find that they are not worth the praise they get. I was using the fact that most people who listen to them don't have much to compare them to to genuinly say they are as good as that individual says.

Might I add that I think they are very pretentious too. They are exentric but only to the extent which will guarantee album sales.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Quote by philjay
Nothing, not directly. My original point was that Radiohead were overated (imo obviously). That means that in comparison to other bands that I have heard, I find that they are not worth the praise they get. I was using the fact that most people who listen to them don't have much to compare them to to genuinly say they are as good as that individual says.

Might I add that I think they are very pretentious too. They are exentric but only to the extent which will guarantee album sales.

I listen to a lot of different bands. Doesn't change my perception of them at all. I used to like Nirvana. I still like them.

I personally think Radiohead deserves just as much praise as any other band. Every band that has more fans than just the members' families and friends is lavished with praise by someone somewhere. That doesn't make them 'overrated'.

Eccentric.

Trying to go green doesn't guarantee album sales.
Quote by philjay
Sepperate statements.

would you like to take a look at my mp3 player so i can prove you wrong?
Quote by uhh_me?

I second this.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by uhh_me?

No because most people on a music-based forum will be the exception to the rule.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Quote by philjay
No because most people on a music-based forum will be the exception to the rule.

So you're saying that 'most people' are an exception to a rule? Not a very solid rule then, is it?

Radiohead are not overrated in the slightest. They're one of the few bands around at the moment who continuously push the boat out.

Anyway, on the subject of Creep I think there's a lot of hatred for it because people who are, for want of a better word, morons hear the song and write Radiohead off as 'depressing' or 'dull' or whatever without listening to any other Radiohead songs. I mean, it's not a bad song, but it's hardly indicative of their greatest work, is it?
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
This thread is pretty funny.

Trolling is more fun than I expected.

So to be back on topic:

I think the reason Creep is pretty unpopular is probably because of the lyrics as mentioned above, but it also strikes me as very "normal" compared to most of their other material.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Page 1 of 2