Hey guys, I'm already getting a Shure SM-57 and I'm looking for a good audio interface to go along with it, but I really have no clue what to look for in one. Right now im looking at this but I'm definately open to suggestions.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMu-EMU-Tracker-Pre-USB-2.0?sku=705624

I would prefer to spend no more than $200 on the interface. Thanks!
I don't have any experience with them yet but I had just done a bunch of research on them because I just bought mine a couple days ago. Every interface that was suggested to me was firewire powered.

I ended up getting the Mackie Onyx Satellite. It's $179.99. Heard it was one of the best for the price.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
What do you plan on recording just yourself? If so there is no need to go with firewire, USB 2.0 will do just fine. I own the E-mu 0404 and would highly recommend it. Although the tracker seems to be nearly identical except for the look and lack of midi. If your still looking around some things to look out for are phantom power, so you can use condenser mics as well as amount of inputs/ outputs, and the quality of the converters. Midi is another feature if you plan on hooking up a midi keyboard or something. Although many keyboards now have USB too. The fact that it comes with bundled software is also a plus.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Last edited by Led man32 at Mar 14, 2009,
You don't necesarrily need MIDI for a keyboard, The one at my house has left/right stereo out and l/r RCA out, and it's got 2 headphone inputs. and MIDI. anyways...

Make sure there's at least 8+ channels, and you want to have phantom power in it too. Firewire would probably be best, but USB will work. Check if your computer has a firewire input first, I made that mistake, and I had no idea what firewire was, I almost oredered it but then some guy asked, Do you have firwire inputs?
..I was watching my death.
He has no need for 8 channels unless he is recording a drummer, that is ridiculous.
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
He will need 8 channels if planning to do a gig without a PA already provided. It's better to save up for one big thing, instead of buying tons of little things and then regretting not having the big thing, that could do more than what all the little things could do.

EDIT:Note that he is willing to spend more than $200, so I think he wants higher quality stuff, that lasts longer.
..I was watching my death.
Last edited by timbit2006 at Mar 14, 2009,
Sorry for the confusion, this audio interface is just going to be for home recording, using the Shure mic to mic my guitar amps. And I want to spend less than $200, not more than. So MIDI is good to have for use with keyboards?

EDIT: And I do have a firewire port, but is it really worth paying more than a USB 2.0 unit for home recording?
Last edited by B. Jammin at Mar 14, 2009,
Quote by B. Jammin
Sorry for the confusion, this audio interface is just going to be for home recording, using the Shure mic to mic my guitar amps. And I want to spend less than $200, not more than. So MIDI is good to have for use with keyboards?

EDIT: And I do have a firewire port, but is it really worth paying more than a USB 2.0 unit for home recording?

Since you are just recording guitar/bass or keys then no you have no need for firewire. Yeah midi can be used for keyboard as well as other devices. If you have a midi keyboard or plan on getting one then I would recommend the e-mu 0404. Although like I said most midi keyboards have a usb out so you can just plug it in a usb port instead of the midi on an interface.
Thanks for your help guys, I'll probably go for either the one im looking at or the EMU 0404.