Depends on the amp. Plus it's kinda hard to describe to you how loud something is without you actually hearing it =/

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 > Maxon OD808 > Boss DD-20 > Strymon blueSky > Splawn Pro Stock > Emperor 4x12

the lives to come

depends where the gain is, what amp it is, where the channel volume is, where the volume is placed on the circuitry,
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by kschaef
Depends on the amp. Plus it's kinda hard to describe to you how loud something is without you actually hearing it =/

I mean is it good for bedroom use (I know tube amps are better when you crank them) but how loud is too loud for bedroom use
Well, I have my ValveKing in my room at the moment. It's only 100W and it doesn't go past 1.

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 > Maxon OD808 > Boss DD-20 > Strymon blueSky > Splawn Pro Stock > Emperor 4x12

the lives to come

Quote by kschaef
Well, I have my ValveKing in my room at the moment. It's only 100W and it doesn't go past 1.

Is it still loud?
Get a 5w for bedroom, or a modeling amp, using tubes at 1 is a waste of everything involved.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Depends on what you count as "bedroom levels." I have a Blues Junior and my "bedroom levels" doesn't get past 2 very often. And that's only 15 watts. My 60 watt Mashall JTM 60 however I can get up to 3. So it varies amp to amp.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Quote by jacksonuser123
Is it still loud?

No. You should get a practice amp if you're planning to use it for your room though.

Gear:

the lives to come

Quote by Gäbe
Get a 5w for bedroom, or a modeling amp, using tubes at 1 is a waste of everything involved.

I will be obviously cranking it at large gigs, but I was just wondering what volume it starts to get very loud
I have a 15watt modeling amp so I guess I could use that when im not practising and giging

EDIT: the head is peavey 6505
Technically, any amp you use you can turn down to a bedroom level. When you're dealing with 100W amps though, there's no point in having all that wattage and only using a sliver of it's full power. It's like driving a Lamborghini across the street, instead of just walking.

Use the 15W for practicing, like you said.

Gear:

the lives to come

Last edited by kschaef at Mar 14, 2009,
Quote by jacksonuser123
I have a 15watt modeling amp so I guess I could use that when im not practising and giging

EDIT: the head is peavey 6505

just wait till the 6505 112 combo comes out, youll be able to use it for practicing and gigging
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
With my 140 watt Sunn, I play it on 1 1/2 for practising during the day. I can't use it at all if I don't want people to hear me upstairs.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
I keep my 6505 on 2.3 in my bedroom. The amp starts to shine around 2, a 6505 at 1 isn't very loud, but your tone suffers greatly from such a low volume setting.
Buy an attenuator if you want the best at a low volume.
Quote by bowen
I keep my 6505 on 2.3 in my bedroom. The amp starts to shine around 2, a 6505 at 1 isn't very loud, but your tone suffers greatly from such a low volume setting.

Thats rediculous. at 1, mine is way loud.
I have mine on 2-4 at band practice (anything more, and i drown out the drummer)
Bedroom, mine is on just below 1.
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
Its much too loud at 1. I had a 6505+, and I ran it below 1 for bedroom stuff, and the whole house could hear it.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by bowen

Wow, I'd start looking at getting your ears checked. My ears start to get tingly & numb with 6505 combo @1 for more than 10mins.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
The 6505 sounds alright at bedroom volumes.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by DarthV
Wow, I'd start looking at getting your ears checked. My ears start to get tingly & numb with 6505 combo @1 for more than 10mins.

haha, I must be stone cold deaf then, I always thought the 5150 opened up around 3 on the volume. You haven't really heard that amp IMO if you haven't used it at those volumes, it's where the poweramp just starts to thicken up and warm the sound a bit. Not saturating, but starting to add some color. Different animal at those volumes IMO.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
haha, I must be stone cold deaf then, I always thought the 5150 opened up around 3 on the volume. You haven't really heard that amp IMO if you haven't used it at those volumes, it's where the poweramp just starts to thicken up and warm the sound a bit. Not saturating, but starting to add some color. Different animal at those volumes IMO.

I agree. The 6505 comes alive around 3-4, as do many tube amps. Anything under that sounds thin, shrill, and fuzzy.
Heres the run down the amp is fine for bedroom use and sounds decent enough for most of your bt00al needs in the .75-1 range. And when you take it to the gig just take up to 2-3 which is the amps well known sweet spot. 120 watt amps are fine for the bedroom as long as you realize your bedroom is not a stage and you are not trying to get heard over a drummer. I've had multiple 100+ watt heads on top of half stacks and never had any issues or complaints about them. People dont buy these amps to play classic rock and get creamy power amp saturation so its not a issue for the bedroom. And even if you where even trying for classic rock heres a little heads up the 5 watt valve jr i had was way to loud for bedroom use if you wanted creamy saturation. So the end result is pretty much any tube amp on the market is to loud for bedroom use cranked. Tube amps are tube amps. Learn to realize its just what it is so when you start to look for amps just find something that sounds decent at low volumes. Which the 5150/6505 is a great choice
Quote by DarthV

I'm aware that a lot of people tend to keep amps at a volume in their bedrooms that they can here their strings louder than the amp in some cases, but if you really think that things are gonna go downhill with this amp at 2.3, you're not much for cranking amps.
And BTW, I've got perfect hearing according to the test I had in the last month
I live out in the middle of nowhere, so that's my bedroom playing level. Hardly enough for hearing damage, and I know that coming from a family of deaf people, and my mom being severely hearing impaired. And another thing that may help is that I have No reverberation in my room, so the acoustics of the rooms in my house are good in those neck of the woods.
Quote by Erock503

I had mine at 3 in my bedroom until I was told to turn it down. I need to take into account that most people don't have a house built like mine, because nobody could really hear my amp until I had it at 3, because by then it was shaking the walls.
The 6505/5150 really does tend to start to open up at just past 2, and is in it's real glory starting at 3.
dude i run my xxx at like 2 in my room and it isnt that loud
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
i can just about get away with having my 30 watt laney VC30 at 1 without pissing off the neighbours, but it still projects through the whole house.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
is my amp like sh*t quiet or what? cuz i have to run it at like 5 to be at a good band volume
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I ran my 6505 at about 1.5 and it wasn't too loud. I used to use it on like 2.5-3 but I got some noise complaints haha...Sadly it's at my band's practice space now so I only get to see her twice a week cuz I'm not about to lug it back and forth. I run her at like 4 or 5 at practice.
My 150w triple rectifer can be loud or I can play it at bedroom levels. It depends on how I set up the master volumes and the master output. It really depends on the amp. My 50w single rectifer is just as loud as my triple rectifer, its just that the triple has more headroom.
Quote by Yngwi3
The 6505 sounds alright at bedroom volumes.

i guess, except its very important in finding a low volume sound to keep the gain down pretty low or else it sounds really fizzy imo

Quote by DarthV
Wow, I'd start looking at getting your power tubes checked.

fixed
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by kschaef
there's no point in having all that wattage and only using a sliver of it's full power. It's like driving a Lamborghini across the street, instead of just walking.
great analogy!

But yeah, 120 tube watts = a freakin beast! I used to have a 100-watt Windsor head that started getting pretty loud with the volume a quarter of the way up, and I never needed to turn it up more than a bit over 1/3 of the way or so for a gig.

I now own a 50-watt Mesa Boogie F-50 head that still gets super loud pretty quick, but now I'm using a little portable vox modeling amp for practice. Much more suitable for bedroom use. The main amp is for jamming/recording/gigging.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by kschaef
Technically, any amp you use you can turn down to a bedroom level. When you're dealing with 100W amps though, there's no point in having all that wattage and only using a sliver of it's full power. It's like driving a Lamborghini across the street, instead of just walking.
Use the 15W for practicing, like you said.

Well if I had to choose between taking my Lambo accross the street or my Daewoo I would prefer to take the Lambo.

In the end its all personal prefrence, get the amp you like and sounds best to you. And my reasoning.... I have yet to find a 15 watt practice amp that even sounds close to my 6505+ half stack even with the volume on 1
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 17, 2009,
dude if i had a lambo i would live in it. screw walking
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
I have my Traynor YCV50 Blue at like, master volume 4 most times when I'm playing. That in itself is incredibly loud, and shakes my house, and like, pictures on my walls and stuff. I love it.

You could set it at 1, but it would limit you, a little... or a lot...
my 120 watt amp is quiet enough at 3 for bedroom practice, at 1 it sometimes has trouble powering the cab (6x12 FTW) and then the volume shoots up rapidly after about 3.5 or so.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm