I have an OLP MusicMan style 5-string that has a lot of open-string buzz, especially on the E string but also on the D and low B. It seems to be coming from the saddles vibrating, most prevalently on the low B, but also from somewhere else (I can hold all the saddles down with my hand and it still buzzes). It's not fret buzz. This is the bass, without the custom electronics.
Last edited by wanderingguitar at Mar 14, 2009,
It could be coming from the nut. If you have gone from a heavier gauge string to a lighter gauge it causes the lighter strings to vibrate in the space that was left by the heavier strings. Im not a bass player so it could be different for you, but i hopethis helps.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Oosh. at Mar 14, 2009,
Check the neck relief for back bow.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Take it to a local shop and have your bridge set up. They should move the saddles so they aren't so close together that they buzz. Also, if you feel the need to completely get rid of the buzz you could get a new nut...

Also, TS, can you hear this buzz through the amp when you play? Or is it only acousticly?
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Trace Elliot GP7SM 200watt bass combo
Therer several reasons as to why you get fret rattle, some are obvious such is the string that is buzzing set too low at the bridge, is the neck too straight (A very slight inwards bow is acceptale), you may have a fret that is not dressed down in line with the other frets, the nut is a less common issue. Detuning can also cause fret rattle.

If you do decide to take it in to a dealer first make sure that there is a qualified tech and not someone who knows just the basics because nut changing and fret dressing require skills that are uausaly beyond those of a music store assistant.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn