I am looking to get one of these for my birthday, after reading some reviews and listening to demos I really like the light natrual kind of distortion it gives.

But before I go ahead and get one, would you guys recommend any alternatives?

Cheers - T
***Short Sig***
It's a good pedal, but I prefer the Maxon OD808 (Same thing as the Tubescreamer TS-808, but cheaper), and some others here really like the Fulltone OCD. What are you using it for? a light, crunchy overdrive? or boosting an amp for solos/pushing it into high-gain territory? What amp are you using?
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
if you have any extra cash, get it modded by the guys at Analogman or by Robert Keeley.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by FlightofIcarus
It's a good pedal, but I prefer the Maxon OD808 (Same thing as the Tubescreamer TS-808, but cheaper), and some others here really like the Fulltone OCD. What are you using it for? a light, crunchy overdrive? or boosting an amp for solos/pushing it into high-gain territory? What amp are you using?

These are three very different pedals.
If he's looking for the TS-9 sound, he's not gonna want the sound of an 808 or an OCD.
True, but judging by the TS's post, it sounds like he may be new to OD pedals, so I'm just throwing some names out there. We won't know what to recommend until we get more information from him.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Im using it to get light distortion, not to boost solos, you're right - it's my first ever pedal.

And my amp is a fender hot rod deluxe.
***Short Sig***
the new digitech hardwire tube overdrive (cm2) is a waaaaay better pedal than the tubescreamer!!!!!!!

trust me I have em both!!!!

its cheaper and it has way more options!

look into it!
^ yah i was about to mention that, but yah.

its so much better really, if you want to fly with a sick riff then just bring the treble up on the pedal.

if you want something smoother and more round sounding back of the treble and bring the bass up.

its harder to get a concrete sound on it because of the extra 4th knob, but i rather get the specific sound I want than just something close to it, and to me thats what the CM-2 does gets me the exact sound im looking for with a bit of tweaking.

definately check this pedal out, and who ever says the voicing switch is not that noticable, spend more time with the pedal and a cranked amp, its VERY noticeable.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Mar 14, 2009,
Try a TS7. Same circuitry, hell of a lot cheaper, and that much of a difference in sound, especially if you're just gonna use it as a boost.
i give the ts-9 a B+. its a good pedal not great, but pretty nasty
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
the blue boy deluxe is epic win. i regret ever trading it now.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by michal23
Try a TS7. Same circuitry, hell of a lot cheaper, and that much of a difference in sound, especially if you're just gonna use it as a boost.

Ditto. Same circuit as a TS9, nice metal case, same mods apply and it's dirt cheap.
if its the same why is it cheaper?

im not trying to contradict what you guys are saying im just curios.
Handmade in Japan vs assembly line in China. The TS7 uses 1/8 watt resistors, where the TS9 uses 1/4, different switch, few other minor cost saving differences I'm sure. You would be hard pressed to hear a difference without doing a direct A/B comparison. They even have the same overrated op amp.

Good TS read:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/346068-tube-screamer-faq-version-1-a.html
Last edited by Jason43 at Mar 15, 2009,