what are these used for?
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
basically.

basically shredding?
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Quarter-tones, in arabic music?
...and to look "cooler than you".

The second is more common than the first.
Without frets the guitarist is not constrained to a certain musical tuning. With a Fretless Guitar, you can get non-Western scales.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by sureshred
whats the point of not knowing your fret areas when 99% of guitar have them...

The two posts above you.
Quote by toyboxmonster

umm... i read about these. "It's to achieve even the slightest of micro tones that normal fretted guitars can not achieve." do not quote me on this though...
Also gives a smoother tone, less metallic because of no contact with frets.
You can slide from note to note without the frets punctuating your sound. Steve Vai has a fretless on his triple-neck guitar. Go on youtube and search for his live performance of "I Know You're Here".
I'm getting a fretless bass from my cousin soon.

Slides are 'smoother' and you can reach certain quality of tones you can't with frets.

Biggest reason is to show off.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Quote by Invokke_Havokk
I'm getting a fretless bass from my cousin soon.

Slides are 'smoother' and you can reach certain quality of tones you can't with frets.

Biggest reason is to show off.

Well, I can see much more use for a fretless bass than a fretless guitar...
You play it to make funny noises to turn up on your freakin' BR00TALZ amp with CRUSHING OVERDRIVE to annoy the neighbors.
I have played a few fretless guitars and I didn't like the way they felt or the way they played IMHO they are much harder to play and do not sound as good. I used to own a Fender Fretless bass and it was amazing but as far as a fretless guitar goes I would never waste my dough on one. Truthfully I don't see any advantage to owning one just a gimmick in my book.

John
Quote by toyboxmonster

Yes :P
Action can also be made lower on a fretless, but in general, just so you can play funky scales....
Fretless guitars and basses alow you to get the note much more exact. Plus you have all the notes in between. Now this is opinon so don't take its as fact but the sliding can work like a tremelo basicly, it;s hard to explain, but just think sliding down the fretboard as raising the picth like pulling up and the opposite. It also has a smother tone.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!