Im a young (as in not really experianced) guitarist, but im striving to become better. I have an awsome teacher but i can only learn a small amount a week and we havent been moving forward for a while. My friend recomended i talk with poeple on UG to learn more stuff. I have so many questions. But for know if i could ask those who are reading to just preach what they know, about anything! Im not a complete and total noob. I know chord structure, basic scales, modes, and a little bit of things here and there. But i just want to learn all i can so i can have all the tools possible for me to make the music that goes through my head. So please, take a moment to tell me something you know, something you think i should know, or just something cool. Anything.
Last edited by arkangle1122 at Mar 14, 2009,
http://xat.com/helpmelearn

I think you'll like that chat for questions like this.

Do you know the scala of music?

Do you know any music theory? How the Major Scale is formed, and how to construct it? Do you know how and why chords are the shape they are? Can you construct a chord?

Do you know how to find the key of a song? Do you know how to find whether a note will fit into the key of that song? Do you know which chords will fit into a key?

Are you sure you fully understand modes?

We need more infromation about you, and your question in lay mans terms. "What else should I learn?"

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Something I know: The sky is blue
Something I think: Obama will supercede Bush
Something cool: Alexi Laiho's ESP LTD Flying V

Please use tags for tabs....
hmm i think you should mess around with tunings and different peoples styles of playing.. while still developing your own style.. for example ive grown to like Drop C and D standard more then E and drop D.. and i like the styles of matt tuck from bfmv and adam D from kwe.. so i tend to use alot of heavy riffs and pinch harmonics.. along with the style of bullet.. id love to hear back from you i can help you out some more.. just message me
Quote by Camdon
Something I know: The sky is blue
Something I think: Obama will supercede Bush
Something cool: Alexi Laiho's ESP LTD Flying V

You failed at trying to be funny.

He said Something you think I should know. Not something you think.

And at least try to be helpful.

I dont know much about music theory, i tried reading into a bit. I know a few keys and the cicle of fifths I didnt completly understand how to build all chords, i cant remember all of it. I cant easy find out the key of a song. Im not really shure what i understand or dont understand. I have too many questons.
Just for curiosity, run these questions through your head:
What genres do you play?
What ones do you like but are too hard?
Have you tried branching out?
Have you tried playing classical songs with distortion and metal songs clean?
Have you tried playing your songs in a dropped tuning?
Have you tried writing an improvisational solo to a song you can already play? (Ex write a "new" solo for Enter Sandman?)
How often do you play live?
Have you looked into getting into a band?
Have you looked into performing at local bars or restaurants? (If that is a viable option)
Have you looked into trying other instruments?

Learn the major scale inside out, across the neck, in every key.
Then the minor.
That should keep you busy for a few years.
Quote by Invokke_Havokk
You failed at trying to be funny.

He said Something you think I should know. Not something you think.

And at least try to be helpful.

Haha I know it was a fail attempt. I knew it posting it. But i've been at work for 5 hours and yea I did post some suggestions like 2 minutes later haha

Vague questions = vague answers

anyways back on topic

Quote by arkangle1122
I dont know much about music theory, i tried reading into a bit. I know a few keys and the cicle of fifths I didnt completly understand how to build all chords, i cant remember all of it. I cant easy find out the key of a song. Im not really shure what i understand or dont understand. I have too many questons.

I suggest learning music theory.

It's a good place to start, and once you know some you can analyze music and create music similiar to it.

Chords are made using certain intervals, eg; Root - Major 3rd - Perfect 5th - Major Triad

You can find the key of the song by seeing the notes played, and fitting them into the scale (key).

I suggest going through and reading our lessons/columns on theory.

Another thing I do fairly often that I find fun and improves my playing:

1) Find a random song thats mostly chords (For example, Blues Traveler - Run Around)
2) Write out the arpeggios
3) Do random picking patterns of those arpeggios

See if you can take a songs chord progession and change the entire timbre of the song.

Using Run Around I actually improvised a random "song" in about 5 minutes that made my friend teary (cuz I played slow and let alot of strings ring, making it sad)

Quite the turn around eh?

This all sound like a great spot to go back to and start. Ill check back later, hopw there are more replys.
one thing that's helped me a lot is just lurking here in MT a lot, just looking to see if there is a question being asked that I've wondered about and seeing what people are saying. I actually don't make very many threads asking questions about theory, most of those questions are already being asked, so I read through other people threads.

another thing that's helped me a lot is whenever I learn something new about theory I immediately grab my guitar and apply it. I'll fiddle around and make up a little riff or lick using that theory to really get it in my head and be sure I understand it, and how it works with everything else.

oh, and check out the lessons and articles on this site. here's a good one: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html