Do you guys like modding your guitars or leaving them as is? And what mods have you done to them?

My PRS is pretty much the same as when I got it, but my strat has new everything except neck and body.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I like to mod my wiring a wee bit. I've got an ESP Eclipse and I've had my music teacher pretty much remove the middle pup position for a killswitch so I'm happy. As well as an acoustic I've turned into an electric acoustic

Edit: I'm also about to get a Standard Telecaster in black of a friend, so I might put on a new pickguard and in the future maybe replace the bridge single coil with a humbucker such as a fender wide range pup.
Last edited by UltimateDud at Mar 14, 2009,
Quote by UltimateDud
I like to mod my wiring a wee bit. I've got an ESP Eclipse and I've had my music teacher pretty much remove the middle pup position for a killswitch so I'm happy. As well as an acoustic I've turned into an electric acoustic

Edit: I'm also about to get a Standard Telecaster in black of a friend, so I might put on a new pickguard and in the future maybe replace the bridge single coil with a humbucker such as a fender wide range pup.

Yeah I turned my alvarez into an Ac/electric by making a piezo pup.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I love modding my guitars about as much as playing them, haha.

Fender Stratocaster:
-Seymour Duncan SH-6 humbucker
-Gotoh locking tuners (vintage kluson style)
-Roller string tree
-Black pickguard
-Coil split for humbucker (parts bought, not fitted yet)
-Graphite nut (as above; part bought, not fitted yet)
Got a few photos of it in my profile :]

Fender Telecaster:
-Gotoh locking tuners (vintage kluson style)
-Black pickguard
-new pickup selector knob (haha, the old one kept falling off all the time. got a new one and it fits so tight you can pick the whole guitar up by it)
Pics in profile as well.

Stratocaster copy:
-Lace Sensor pickups
-all-new pots, wiring, output jack, etc
-new hardware, black
-clumsily installed new nut (the old one snapped, and real strat nuts were too small, so I bought a les paul one which fit for some reason but needed a bit of neck wood cut out to fit)
-really badly done 'relic' job. was bored and wanted to try it out for a laugh, since it's only a cheap guitar anyway.

Acoustic (Encore ENC30S)
-Planning to make a cheap electro-acoustic out of it using spare electronics from the other guitars, got plenty of spare parts lying around.

Though I've got a les paul copy and a bass (Peavey Milestone III) left unmodded since there's nothing I really want to do with them.
Last edited by pete-c at Mar 14, 2009,
My gutar is still the same but I'm looking forvard to some graficks .
It depends on the guitar. I'm not going to touch my strat. It's lovely the way it is. I'm gonna get a new pickguard and pickups (tone zone, air norton, true velvet) for my RG. Put concentric pots in it so I could have 2 volume and 2 tone knobs. In the flying v (I don't own it yet), I'll get a new pickguard and new pickups. Probably a set of 57 classics or a set of Dirty fingers. I only mod if I want to improve something. Hence why I will probably never touch my strat.
right now i have a modded knock off fender which i have done the following too:
-installed Fender Custom shop 69's single coil pups
-gutted and completely rewired and shielded
-new input jack
-stripped off the paint, painted it a cream color, and then beat the **** outta it with a hammer
-nailed a metal peace sign under the bridge
-straplocks
but im thinkin of
-string roller tree's
-locking tuners
and also im lookin at push-pull pot mods and things, but my internet search for info on these and where to get them is kinda slow goin, so any help on that would be useful
Every guitar Ive ever owned has been modded in some way. I take pickups from other guitars and knobs and switches. I dont mess with painting anymore. I just think its fun to do. When I get tired of how a guitar sounds "out of the box", I do something to it. Still need to drop a 500k pot in my strat but thats another day!
I usually do some basic modding on all my guitars.Replacing the pots,jack,switch,pups,and wiring as well as shielding the cavities are standard things for me.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.