Page 1 of 2
I have a quick question and i'm hoping I can get some input. Is it considered "ripping off" or stealing a bands song if you use the same chord progression that they use in one of their song(s)? For instance, I like the chord progression in any way you want it by journey. G -> D -> Em -> C. I like this chord progression in general, not just because Journey uses it. Is it unoriginal if you use the same chord progression when you are trying to create an original song? I hope that makes sense. I still don't feel like I've expressed what I'm trying to say.
Thanks
every band in the history of the world has used that chord progression
Hell even my band
Its never gonna be considered Ripping off,
but it might be seen as generic
if you can make it so it sounds interesting even though its been used so many times
Then nobody will ever mind
Quote by pengiunman
Hahaha you crack me up swansareroadkil.

:can't think of a smiley to put, your too cool:
dude, its done all the time, the music is based more on what you do with the chord progression than the chord progression itself
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
That progression has probably been used thousands of times, there's no reason why you can't use it. Oh, and it's impossible to copyright chord progressions.

That said, I always prefer to think of a progression myself; it always feels more original, even though there's probably someone on the other side of the globe who's used it.
If it yust a part of the song and you like it becaus how it sound and not becaus who plays it
I think it would be OK . But try to use your own style .
And coping someon's song or major parts , isnt ql .
A progresion shold be yust fine to not be considering copiing.
I'm pretty certain that every chord progression + it's inversions and alterations have been done already.

Just play what you like, and don't worry about it unless you get sued, which is very unlikely.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Using the same progression as another song is frowned upon. That's why you rarely see I-IV-V progressions since The Beatles made it famous.

Chord progressions can't be copyrighted, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Mar 14, 2009,
You rarely see I-IV-V progressions? What? Have you ever listened to music on the radio?
Everyone uses that progression.
Everyone uses the I-V-iii-IV progression in the original post. You'd be naive if you think that you're the only one to ever use a certain progression, or melody.
Write whatever you like, and don't think too much of it. What's natural is obviously the music that you're meant to be making/writing.
You rarely see I-IV-V progressions? What? Have you ever listened to music on the radio?

What I said was very, extremely true. I was entirely serious. The I-IV-V is never used in modern music.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Ask Coldplay.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by ramm_ty
Ask Coldplay.

*snap*
I can't believe you didn't get that.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Look up Axis of Awesome - 36 songs on youtube.

36 songs using the same progression, and they didn't even come close to naming them all.
Sig space for rent.
$100 obo
Message for negotiaton.
When I come around - Green Day
Glycerine - Bush
Since you've been gone - Rainbow
All use the same basic chord progression. Just different rhythm/and keys.

Good composers borrow - Great composers steal.
There's my way and the wrong way.
As far as jazz theory goes, the technical term for writing a new song using existing chord changes is known as a "Contrafact". Literally hundreds of songs have been written using the "Rhythm Changes" (I vi ii V) and even Charlie Parker (The jazz equivalent of Jimi Hendrix) wrote the vast majority of his songs using contrafaction. He would listen to tunes on the radio, and then to avoid royalty fees, he would rerecord them with an entirely different melody, but kept (for the most part, he occasionally altered them slightly) the chord changes. You can't copyright progressions, after all, can you imagine a world in which there'd be only one blues song, ever? Damn!
Quote by Archeo Avis
Using the same progression as another song is frowned upon. That's why you rarely see I-IV-V progressions since The Beatles made it famous.

While I haven't bothered to take songs and try to figure out their progressions, I think you might find some. But I don't think it's uncommon because the Beatles used it. Maybe it doesn't fit their song or whatever because its a "modern" song that wouldn't work with it, but using the same chord progressions isn't frowned upon, like someone said, probably all chord progressions, inversions etc. included, have been used before.
I don't think so. I haven't heard a I-IV-V progression in anything since the Beatles. Most music since then (popular music, anyway) doesn't really even use the major scale or its modes anymore. I mean, that would be ripping off the Beatles, right? Yep, most music on the radio is atonal.
Last edited by werty22 at Mar 15, 2009,
mate seriously how many chord progressions do you think there are?

you have to use a chord progression thats been used before because there are only a certain amount of progressions.
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by Archeo Avis

LOL, the Beatles did not make the I-IV-V progression famous. They used it, because it was an existing popular progression, just like many other bands/writers did/do. They also used many other progressions. Their use of the I-IV-V progression is not soley responsible for it's decline in use as you imply. (and actually it is still used today). To claim that it is would be a gross exaggeration/misrepresentation.

TS.....

Using a chord progression that's "been used" is not illegal and is not looked down upon by most. (though there are people that will look down upon you for practically any reason.... but that's their problem). it's just a chord progression.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 15, 2009,
Their use of the I-IV-V progression is not soley responsible for it's decline in use. (and actually it is still used today). To claim that it is would be a gross exaggeration/misrepresentation.

Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M

^ My reaction at seeing their role in history being misrepresented.
shred is gaudy music
I cannot believe the amount of people that let that joke fly a mile above their heads.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
I cannot believe the amount of people that let that joke fly a mile above their heads.

If you meant the Beatles statement, I didn't see as a joke, considering the source and past comments.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
If you meant the Beatles statement, I didn't see as a joke, considering the source and past comments.

Yes Munky...the I-IV-V progression really is completely absent from modern music.

Are you being deliberately stupid?
Quote by Archeo Avis
Yes Munky...the I-IV-V progression really is completely absent from modern music.

Are you being deliberately stupid?

You're the one that said it.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
You're the one that said it.

No, I didn't. Have you been paying attention?

Hey, wait...I am the lord Jesus Christ.

Taking all bets. 20$ says he believes it^
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Mar 15, 2009,
Quote by Archeo Avis
No, I didn't. Have you been paying attention?

Hey, wait...I am the lord Jesus Christ.

Taking all bets. 20$ says he believes it^

I don't believe it, but if you said it, I would believe that you believed it/meant it.
shred is gaudy music
Hey TS this is a really great question. I bet the morons in the pit wouldn't respond as nicely as some here have. No, only an idiot would call it ripping off another band, and those people will forever sit around never creating a single piece of music cause they'll be convinced they are ripping something off.

I actually had to break up with a band over this because everytime I thought up a chord progression this kid would tell me that 'he'd definitely heard it somewhere before, and that I was ripping someone off' so after about 10 sessions of that, I told him to go **** himself. Unfortunately ,I've been playing alone since then.
The times they are a changin'.....
Quote by werty22
I don't think so. I haven't heard a I-IV-V progression in anything since the Beatles. Most music since then (popular music, anyway) doesn't really even use the major scale or its modes anymore. I mean, that would be ripping off the Beatles, right? Yep, most music on the radio is atonal.

wow. are you being serious? nothing uses the major scale anymore? atonal? do you listen to the radio at all? it's ALL major scales... almost completely diatonic. the major scale and it's modes cover 99 percent of the music you probably listen to ever.
Quote by BillyGates
wow. are you being serious? nothing uses the major scale anymore? atonal? do you listen to the radio at all? it's ALL major scales... almost completely diatonic. the major scale and it's modes cover 99 percent of the music you probably listen to ever.

I don't know what kind of radio you're listening to, but serialism has been pretty much the norm since Schoenberg. You'll rarely see the major scale outside of attempts at neo-classicism and some genres of jazz.
The amount of stupidity in this thread is hard to watch, but I'm going to anyways because I've never laughed this hard.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Hey guys, I wrote a song. The progression goes E -> G -> D -> A, all major. Do you think that that's too old school? I mean, no one's done that since the 1950s, really. Should I maybe make it sound more typical, like E9 - > Gmaj7 -> B/Dsus2 -> F#/A7 or something?
Quote by Eastwinn
Hey guys, I wrote a song. The progression goes E -> G -> D -> A, all major. Do you think that that's too old school? I mean, no one's done that since the 1950s, really. Should I maybe make it sound more typical, like E9 - > Gmaj7 -> B/Dsus2 -> F#/A7 or something?
B over Dsus2? F# over A7? Alrighty then!
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Page 1 of 2