My guitar teacher is showing me some ballad chord progressions (while many are widely used) and playing notes within the chords instead of just strumming. Is there some unique way of composing said genre?
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
Chord progressions aren't anywhere near as important to ballad writing, as is the tone, instrumentation, tempo, rhythm etc.

"People Ain't No Good" by Nick Cave - uses the most generic progression imaginable (C - G - F) that has been used in countless rock songs. Yet it still sounds like a ballad, so obviously the chord progression isn't that important.
So he's playing chords and arpeggios? And you're.... yah, I'm lost.

I don't think I understand your question at all.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?t=23609

This thread might be relevant to the topic being discussed. They're jazz cats (i.e. really dry) but they know their ****.

TLDR: There's no "technique" that automatically renders a ballad. It's more something to do with the feelings behind it, you know. Tender, lovey-dovey stuff. All the other superfluous artifacts that often come along with ballads (Medium-slow tempo, lyrical melodies, relaxed harmonic rhythm) do not define a ballad, but reflect the form/inspiration.
Give the snare a massive amount of reverb 80s style
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums