I found a website called kickassclassical.com which has a top 100 list of well known classical music. They let you preview each work, so I decided to test myself with my music knowledge. Turns out I recognized 90/100 with just a short ten second preview of each (some had up to three previews available). They have also conveniently compiled the list into a countdown on youtube in ten parts, to spare you all of the clicking.

It's strange how much people can know without even realizing... I partially blame The Looney Tunes

I thought it might be a nice idea to see how other UGers fare in this classical challenge. So if you have about 20 minutes to burn, it's quite fun.

Here's the list: http://www.kickassclassical.com/classical-music-popular-famous-best-top-100-list.html
Here's the first video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPq4DmmeUSw&feature=channel_page
I probably knew about 80 of those.

If i had an itunes account i would buy ever single one.
ha, the 1812. one of my fav pieces... but god dammit, it's a dog to play.

O Fortuna was painful to see, but it's being rated by popularity, not good music.

i am also proud to say i knew every single piece on there. ninety percent of those pieces were also without having to hear the clips.
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
I wish cartoons didn't tarnish the image (auditory) of these pieces... now whenever you hear some of those you think of like the Looney Tunes.

Especially the Blue Danube Waltz. I loved it in 2001: a Space Odyssey. But people always associate it with cartoons.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by Yeti60
Especially the Blue Danube Waltz. I loved it in 2001: a Space Odyssey. But people always associate it with cartoons.

i always associated it with 2001.
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
Quote by Yeti60
I wish cartoons didn't tarnish the image (auditory) of these pieces... now whenever you hear some of those you think of like the Looney Tunes.

Worst. Movie. Ever.

Well, worst movie that is actually somewhat popular, by a good, well known director. I'm sure there are plenty of worse B-movies.

But seriously, 2001 was a piece of utter garbage.
Quote by Yeti60

I always thought it was wonderful to hear it in Looney Tunes. In fact I wish they would make cartoons like this again. It exposed children to wonderful music that would stick with them for the rest of their lives.
Quote by me_llamo_juan

Many of those songs aren't even classical.
...but they are what everyone identifies as classical...

If you don't know precisely what preiod they are from, what else can you call them?
Number 13 is amazing.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
i never thought i'd see the words kick ass and classical in the same sentence. i's all like whhhat the?!
Quote by me_llamo_juan
Many of those songs aren't even classical.

For someone who is so uptight about semantics, you sure do a horrible job in addressing the works as "songs." Better luck next time.

And by the way, they ARE classical. Classical is the overarching genre, as well as the period between Haydn and Beethoven.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by Yeti60

They didn't tarnish the impressions of these compositions at all. In fact, they brought it to life in the most unpretentious and creative way. They took the characteristics of the music and followed it visually, which is highly sought after in the listening and playing experience of classical music.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by RPExecutor
O Fortuna was painful to see, but it's being rated by popularity, not good music.

You don't like O Fortuna???
sim simma

who got the keys to my beema
Quote by Xiaoxi
For someone who is so uptight about semantics, you sure do a horrible job in addressing the works as "songs." Better luck next time.

And by the way, they ARE classical. Classical is the overarching genre, as well as the period between Haydn and Beethoven.

I was just noting there were some baroque and some romantic pieces in there.
dammit i lost
Quote by Green_Jelly

Quote by gnomieowns
damn. can't you get your girlfrie...
nevermind.
Right now you're offending at least 75% of the Pit.

jackson warrior on the way in $400