Page 1 of 2
I need an amp that can give me a good clean and awesome heavy distortion like Metallica, Bullet, A7X.

Peavey 6505 or Mesa Single Rectifier?
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Seymour Duncans
Avalon Gold series acoustic
ESP LTD 7-string

Amp:
Marshall 100DFX
Peavey Valveking 212

Effects:
Boss GT-10
Both really different amps, you'll have to try them to decide which you like better.

The Mesa will have better cleans though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The Rectifiers have better cleans. Something for you to consider.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I agree wit what everyone said about the mesa.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Mesa has better cleans on it, however I like the distorted sounds of the Peavey much, much more. I find the recto sound too throaty for my liking.
I guess it all depends on how much you will be using your clean channel.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
if it's between those two amps, the mesa sounds better for you, but there are other amps that do both pretty well. the mesa f series has amazing cleans and pretty solid dirty sounds, and the mark series is the other way around.
Between those two I'd always go for the Mesa, because both have great distortion (the Peavey's may be just a touch better than the Mesa's, but there isn't much in it) but the Mesa has much, much better cleans than the Peavey.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Well, Metallica uses Mesa Heads until they switched to Randall, and A7X uses Mesa Heads, but Bullet Uses Peavey....

Mesa has a really rick tone on the overdrive and the cleans are really nice, so if i were you i would go with a Mesa.
mesa no contest
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
peavey no contest
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Mesa all the way
Peaveys are nice
but Mesa's another level
plus it's cleans are good, the 6505's cleans are a joke
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by ShredGod George
Mesa all the way
Peaveys are nice
but Mesa's another level
plus it's cleans are good, the 6505's cleans are a joke

rectos are another level of loose distortion and less agression
the cleans on the mesa will be better, but the 6505+ has useable cleans
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Look at a Bugera. I was considering it after watching some videos on youtube
Look for mtucks5150
....peavey and mesa fanboys, eh? no objectivity.

I'd go with a Randall RM with an XTC, Treadplate, and UltraXL module.

If you need cleans, get a DLX module.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Mesa if you want a little bitchy distortion, peavey if you want a sick one. The cleans on the 6505+ are fine if you get a nice chorus pedal or add some delay.

EDIT: I love Mesa Boogie BTW
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
Last edited by endless_fight1 at Mar 18, 2009,
They're both differently voiced amps, so it's one of those cases where you gotta go check both out yourself and decide.

But pretty much everything else that's been said is true. Mesa = more versatile, 6505 = more br00t4l. I'd personally go with a Mesa, but that's just me, I like an amp with good on board cleans too. Also, I'd avoid the stock 6505 cab if you're going the head & combo route, they sound much better through other cabs IMO.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Try for a used Mark IV
GEAR:
Washburn WI64DL Idol
Squier HELLO KITTY STRAT
Ibanez GRG270
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube
im selling my 5150 to get a mesa, nuff said
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Quote by BigRob91

yep, your making a mistake
i am not a peavey fanboy (though i do own one)
i just think that mesa sounds loose, cheap, and is overpriced (im speaking on behalf of rectos, i have never played the mark series or the f series)
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Stiletto trident is MILES ahead of the 5150, though I'm not a recto fan either
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Quote by BigRob91

Unless you plan on cranking the **** out of that thing have fun with your loose not so heavy distortion....I do like it though

EDIT: yeah get the stiletto. I assumed you were getting a recto
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
Quote by BigRob91
Stiletto trident is MILES ahead of the 5150, though I'm not a recto fan either

oh i thought you meant you were gettin a recto
i like the stiletto, but i am a fan of the raging 6505 drive
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
They're two totally differently voiced amps, which is why you see a lot of metal bands where one guitarists uses a 5150/6505 and the other a Recto. Every amp has its flaws. A Recto is know for it's sag and low end, which can easily be tightened up with an OD. A 5150/6505 has a harsh high end and relatively flat sound. Both amps are very well suited for metal, it just depends what type of sound you're after.

Quote by musicfan1234
Well, Metallica uses Mesa Heads until they switched to Randall, and A7X uses Mesa Heads, but Bullet Uses Peavey....

I don't know their names, but when I saw BFMV the one guitarist/singer was using a 6505 and the other guitarist was using Mesa.
Quote by musicfan1234

Mesa has a really rick tone on the overdrive and the cleans are really nice, so if i were you i would go with a Mesa.

this is unadulterated sh*t
hetfield uses mesa and diezel
hammett uses mesa and randall (if at all)
A7x uses the damn uberschall
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
i just think that mesa sounds loose, cheap, and is overpriced (im speaking on behalf of rectos, i have never played the mark series or the f series)
They're better

I'm not a huge recto fan myself (I just find them kinda fizzy and loose sounding, and a bit harsh at times), but I love the F-series (I own one). The Mark's are awesome too, but are bit too much of tweakers toys for my taste.

Supposedly the older 2-channel rectos are better, and any recto sounds better with a tube swap.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

then why are rectos so popular?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Beats me man. Maybe Endorsement deals are part of it, in that people go out and buy them when they look into what their favorite bands are using.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

2 Channel Rectos eat 5150s for breakfast imo.

Most people who say Rectos sound like **** don't know how to use them and are intimidated by the active EQ and all the buttons.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Like said, both sound very different and are good in their own ways.
I love the 6505 and have used them on several occasions, but from what I've seen of them, they bring a lot of noise. I used to jam with a guy who used one and had pretty solid gear. To get the exact desired tone out of the thing though, it would always feedback and have a lot of unwanted noise. And this was with a decent noise gate blocking it.
They are solid amps though. Especially for leads!
However, I'm gonna have to vote Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifiers for the overall better amp.
Quote by MatrixClaw
2 Channel Rectos eat 5150s for breakfast imo.

Most people who say Rectos sound like **** don't know how to use them and are intimidated by the active EQ and all the buttons.

I agree with this.

Having owned a Single Recto I can say that it is one of the better sounding Rectos out there. I never had a problem with loose bass with the single. Go out and try one if you can, they're amazing. Read the manual online before you try it and learn how the eq works. Also if you can try out an older 2ch Recto, they sound pretty different from the new 3 channel and they're the reason the Recto is so popular.
I like Recto's a lot. They sound so damn massive. I love Mark Tremonti's rhythm tone, and they're his favorite amp.
Quote by musicfan1234

Metallica never used Randalls...
Quote by Lefty Guitarist

I think he's referring to Kirk Hammet's signature MTS head.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well bullet uses 6505's. Personally the single rec doesn't compare to the 6505 IMO. The dual rec and triple rec do. They have a lot different tone. Although I'd still choose the 6505 over it. Look at how many bands use 6505's over Mesas. Actually Bullet uses 6505's and triple rec's but I'd say most of their tone is the 6505. Live their tone is half of each. But the triple rec mixes so well with the 6505. If they didn't have the 6505 the tone wouldn't be the way it is. The 6505 is a monster and I'd buy it. It's cheaper and better. If you just have to have the mesa then get the dual rec. The single rec is 50 watts and that might attract you but it's more than just the watts. It doesn't have the same tone.
A lot of bands use 6505's for cleans too, such as you mentioned bullet. But a lot of people don't like them. IMO they get the job done. Get the 6505+ and be happy.
Quote by Lefty Guitarist

Yeah they do. Kirk has used that Randall live actually. I don't know what he's using now.
Page 1 of 2