I'm wanting to start recording some music, but I have a few question. What is the a cheapish way of recording some music with multiple insturments? I guess I'm just looking for suggestions to get me started so I can get some stuff recorded and get on my way to getting my music online and heard by people other than my friends and am looking for the best to go about doing that from my house/dorm room. Thanks for any help.
get a cheapo interface to record your guitar/bass, and look into Reaper as a recording program.

Also get your hands on a drumming program, and you're good to go. If you can sing...get a cheapo interface with an XLR input and an sm57 microphone to record that.
WTLTL 2011
if you're looking to record several tracks/instruments at once, you'll need an audio interface.

Then you'll need a decent recording program. There's lots of these for free on the net, do a google search. I've heard Cool Edit Pro or something like that is pretty good. I use Ableton Live and ProTools M-Powered, but for protools to work you'll need an M-Audio audio interface, and they can sometimes cost a bit extra.

Behringer and Tascam make decent audio interfaces.
Thanks for all the help and tips. I'm currently doing some research on recorders and the mics I will need. If anyone has any recommendations on recorders that run in the 200-400 range that would be great.
Quote by BigD225
Thanks for all the help and tips. I'm currently doing some research on recorders and the mics I will need. If anyone has any recommendations on recorders that run in the 200-400 range that would be great.

Interface: Saffire LE, I'm getting that in 10 days or so.

Mics: sm57 seems to be the place to start.

Software: Reaper
WTLTL 2011