Ok so my mom is a woodworker so i asked her if she would make me a guitar cab, and she said probably as long as I got the specs and bought the wood. So What I'm wondering is what kind of wood would be the best to use and if guitar cab wood choice had that much of an effect on tone. Also, what joints are the best to use on the edges, and anything else I need to know?

What would you experts recommend me to do?
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
Pine is a great wood for cabs. Dovetails would be good or fender uses finger joints. When I did mine I just did but joints with glue and countersunk screws but I've heard it's better to use something like finger joints.
Use finger joints, and use plywood.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Quote by Emoishboy
Use finger joints, and use plywood.

He wants an Ultimate cab. Not an MG marshall...
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
Quote by ede09
He wants an Ultimate cab. Not an MG marshall...

+ OVER NINE ****ING THOUSANDS

i think i read somewhere that if you make a cab, the measurements have to be in odd numbers or something? can someone clarify this or not?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
sounds good so far

What i find though, is that its your mum who does the wood working, isn't it usually the dad?
Many companies that make Good cabs use plywood. 13mm or 19 mm pine board is generally stronger.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Quote by SG310user
Many companies that make Good cabs use plywood.

Thats up for debate
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
Quote by ede09
Thats up for debate

Well lets leave it there, because that debate could last a while.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Quote by ede09
Thats up for debate

All those Marshall stacks that every one loves are made of Baltic Birch Ply.

I built a 212 with 2 V30s, and the cab has a nice bottom end, sounds great. It is the cheepest ply I could find.

/debate

TS - There is a large thread some where on here about cab building, do a search for it as I forget the title of it. Try Cab, Cabinet might have tutorial in there. Also, if you do more searching there is a lot of information out there including stuff that tells how to build a cab to a certain resonance.
Quote by guitarcam123
sounds good so far

What i find though, is that its your mum who does the wood working, isn't it usually the dad?

Lol I know

Yah my friend had told me to use birch.

Thanks for your help i will search for that thread.
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
When I made a couple of cabs, years ago, I was told to use birch clad pine blockboard for the box and 3/4 or 19mm ply for the baffle. It was brilliant. Half lap joints are a lot easier than complex dovetails etc., but maybe not the ultimate method. Then there is a small question of speakers. If you are building for lasting quality there is always Crescendos. A 4x12 will set you back a bit though, but you get what you pay for. The idea of a 300w 1x12 has a certain appeal. Crescendos are best with a bit deeper cab than normal as they move rather a lot of air.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

When you use a wood like baltic birch for the cab, do you have to joint the pieces together to make it wide enough?

Thats it.
Use 3/4 in ply. you dont need complicated joints just make sure it is strong and airtight.

Ive just typed a longer answer to the same question above and there is useful advice in the stickies so have a browse.

If you need advice please ask

Go mom.
well what the hell are the specs for this cab lets see some dementions and what speakers how many seakers are there gonna be and what amp head are you gonna use with it
If you can, try to find "voidless" wood.
I dunno if that'd even be something thats labeled on wood though.

And definitely make sure it's air tight, if you find a couple places that it isn't, caulk it closed.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
I presume the principle behind building a speaker cabinet for guitars has to follow many of the same criteria as cabinets for home or car stereos. The speaker manufacturer should tell you the internal "volume", i.e. the size minus the thickness of the wood, of the cabinet.

Joints, as well as any cut-outs for handles, cable plates, etc, should probably have a bead of caulking to ensure air-tightness.

What about "polyfill" ? Do any manufacturers use this ? For those not familiar, this makes the speaker think it's in a larger cabinet.
The baltic birch everyone is talking about is birch ply a high quality plywood used by most manufacturers it is 'void free' unlike cheaper plywoods lightweight, tough and easy to finish. It comes in 8'x4' (1220x2440) sheets in the UK. Don't use natural timbers for instrument cabinets, man made boards are better and cheaper. You can use high grade chipboard or MDF but ply is still favourite. I always use marine grade which is made with a waterproof glue. you need to use at least 18mm or 3/4".

Joints are simple butt joints reinforced with 25mm batten screwed and glued. I always have the front and back removeable amd seal them with a rubber draught proofing strip and use mastic over all permanent joints including handles and sockets.

I don't usually use any polyfill or other stuffing in instrument cabinets. For guitar you want a little resonance to give the cabinet character and guitar speakers get hot and you dont really want a lot of insulation and restricted airflow in your cabinet.

Each speaker needs to work in a specific size of cab to work at its best. Too small a cabinet will boost upper bass and limit deep bass. If you can find the Thiele/Small parameters for the speakers you want then I will be happy to suggest some dimensions.

Eminence have some clips of what their speakers sound like in guitar cabs on there website; worth a listen.