I've been playing guitar on and off for 3 years now and feel like I am just plucking and strumming away at notes without any technique or anything. I also used to play clarinet for many years and know that there is a LOT more to it than just blasting out the right notes and getting the rhythm right.

Whenever I learn songs, I learn them to the point where it just becomes natural and I can play it straight through without thinking about where to move my left hand. If I think about what I'm doing, my left hand gets confused and I play the wrong notes. So this feels like a bad way to learn guitar.... I hope this makes sense??

Do you think learning how to read staff music would have any affect on the speed at which I could progress?

So far I know the very basics like hammer-ons, pull-offs, slides, etc. Are there any online lessons or method books that I can use to improve my playing? What are the top things I should learn/focus on?
Reading standard notation will make you a better/more usable musician down the road. I learned to play in my pit orchestra and now it's really useful for playing in more professional situations. But I don't think it will help you progress.

Try learning more complex songs, maybe in different styles. Like Andy McKee or Trace Bundy.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712