I want a great distortion combo or head for a nice cheap price.I'd perfer to buy used, but new is fine.I just cant get a great distortion tone with any of my amps.Today I tried a raven 20w and a mashal MG head and i didnt like either of them.What amp would be good for distortion? somthing with a great low sound, but can still do a good high sound.Also, what pedals would be good, They would be a alot cheaper than an amp.I have an HM-2 and a DOD overdrive, but they dont get the desired sound.How about a metal zone or metal core?
The Randall rh50t sounds really good and the price is great. They also make a combo version.
id try maxon 808 overdrive and ibanez tube screamers... and for amps.. i heard the 6505+ 1x12 is coming out soon.. for price ive heard between 500-700 if thats to much for u try the peavey vypyrs i got one i love it
amp distortion is 9 times outa 10 better than a pedal
check out used Peavey 6505/5150's and Triple XXX

or you could get a tube screamer like a TS 808 or a copy to push your amps overdrive more where you want it
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Mar 14, 2009,
You have all that gear in your sig and your looking at amps like MG's? I call BS on your Sig... Stay away from the MT-2 and the metal core both pretty bad pedals.
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
Last edited by BlackIce87 at Mar 14, 2009,
Quote by BlackIce87
You have all that gear in your sig and your looking at amps like MG's? I call BS on your Sig... Stay away from the MT-2 and the metal core both pretty bad pedals.

Ditto. That sig is totally bull****. Mesa's have amazing distortion. And you have two.

Get a Fulltone or MI Audio Crunch Box.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
The Mesa what?
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
Actually the mesas me and my dad have have no noticeable distortion.I think they are some sort of mark series or somthing.Also, the MX just doesnt seem to get the sound i want.But still dont beleive me, I dont blame you.But if you wanna check my youtube channel, youll see almost every thing in my sig.The tele ain there, and only one of the mesas are shown, but we have two.http://www.youtube.com/user/Burnboy85
Anyway, how are the line six distortion pedals? Could I get a sound that sounds like insane from my spider, but not as digitally with a pedal? Also, how is the vox valvetron and the cube for distortion? I'd like somthing I can move around, not some 30 pound combo that has potential to kill small woodland critters.
Last edited by burnboy85 at Mar 14, 2009,
mesa rectifier for a low punchy sound. also try the peavey 5150 and some REAL tube marshalls like the jcm800 or jcm2000 dsl.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
If your going for the cheap option then check out the krank distortion pedal (distorus maxamus I think).
Only buy a maxon or ibanez tube screamer if you've already got a tube head as that is what they are intended for; hence the name tube screamer. I've found that their only really a good investment that way.
I can vouch for the DSL and just invest in a boutique distortion for the mesa.
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
Your gear sounds pretty shoddy, bro.

I don't think they make Mesa's with JUST clean. If you must insist, buy a REAL Mesa, Dual Rectifier, Stiletto, whatever. Check out Diezel or Splawn, if you want boutique sound and killer distortion.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor with your Mesa.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales