Well im looking to buy a new amp here soon to upgrade my crappppy crate 65gxt or whatever it is.. im not looking to spend over 1200 bucks, but the question im asking,

is should i get a versatile amp, something like a bugera 333xl (is one im looking at) that can do cleans, to heavy metal, to classic rock, or should i get something that has amazing crystal clear cleans, like some sort of fender, with an absolutely rockin boutique pedal? or a different combination? I really like the bugera's sound regardless of reliability problems, and i also love the sounds a 6505 gives me, but me and a few buddies are actually attempting to start a band, and ill play anything so i need the option for everything to sound great, opinions please?
Amp distortion is generally better than pedal distortion
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Well if you have $1200, there's tons of other amps out there that are much more versatile and more reliable than the Bugera.

And I vote for the versatile amp over pedals.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Can you be more specific with your genres?

Also, the clean amp + pedals route is only good for experimental IMO.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I play anything really, i specialize in heavery metal, and by metal i mean like, actual metal, metallica, and other stuff like them, slayer, ect. I also play newerish stuff like ax7, papa roach, and stuff like that, and i love gnr, acdc, etc.. and matrix, what would you suggest? im really open to suggestions here, but what really gets me is a great distortion that will give your ear an orgasm
Mesa anything really - Mark series would be good
Randall MTS series
Line 6 Vetta
etc.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
hmm can i get a mesa for 1200? im clueless about those prices actually.. I hear they are godly, from mouth and speaker haha, good ones at least
Sorry for double post, but i totally forgot about an amp, you guys think a carvin v3 could get me were i need to go? and maybe get one of those mxr 10 band eq's with like, a tubescreamer or somethin just so i can do ANYTHING with it? i like them, and for 850 right now it seems like i cant go wrong, but if theres still anything better for the price, i cant seem to find mesas under like 1600, and it seems no one in St.louis has one for sale
yea Mesa anything (which you can get under $1200, but can get better if you go used)the distortion is driving and thick,
but if ur a real metalhead, you might want to look into some Peaveys, Marshalls, or Randalls b/c they also have great distortion channels.
Quote by Xinspaly
hmm can i get a mesa for 1200? im clueless about those prices actually.. I hear they are godly, from mouth and speaker haha, good ones at least

The Mesa Mark III should be well within your budget. From time to time a Mark IV will show itself for about $1200. Ebay is your friend sometimes.

I would also take a good long look at a Traynor YCS100H (or YCS100H2), a Sunn Model T Reissue (made by Fender, actually), or try and find a deal on a Soldano Hot Rod 50+.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
With $1200 in my pocket i'd be leaning towards a 59 Bassman LTD.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
You seem to like the more classic metal so I would suggest a Marshall over Randall, Peavey and Mesa.
the mesa mark III looks to be a good option.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Carvin V3 is very versatile. Like I said in another post, not quite as much gain as a Dual Rec, more along the lines of a single rectifier (which I prefer to the Duals anyway). But the Clean channel is wicked. With the proper external Eq, you can make the V3 do lots of things. Give it a roll off on the highest Freqs and a shelf on the lower and you are good to go for all kinds of metal. Bump the mids roll off the highs some and youre in marshall territory.
no one has recommended the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL yet, what a shame. It gets the old school stuff down, and would be able to do most of the modern stuff too.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
check out Carvin amps
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.