By Xerox I mean a note for note copy. A prime example would be Dream Theater's cover CDs.

Petrucci is a much better guitarist than Gilmour (not denigrating Dave, just sayin). So why would they not only perform, but record and sell note for note copies of existing songs?

What I want to hear are artists interpreting music. More like what Quiet Riot did to Slade's Cum on Feel the Noiz.

So tell me, why do accomplished artists/bands do Xerox covers of songs?

BTW, if you like covers visit Coverville. He's great at finding artists re-interpreting songs. The latest show (as of this writing) is a 70's cover, featuring gems like Foghat covering Take me to the River.
Last edited by Snotnose at Mar 14, 2009,
Come on with these dumbass "why do people do this?" posts. This **** is gettin old.
why havent you come out of the closet?

everyone has different reasons, covers can be a re-interpretation, morphing of your bands genere or just covered becasuse its a good song. (along with other reasons)
My Gear:
Epiphone Classic Les Paul
Ibanez JS1000 w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
Because they like the song.
Because they want to intoruduce the song to their audience.
Because they enjoy playing music.
Because they feel the song represents how they feel at the time.
Because they need another song for their set and they don't have time to write one.
Because they want to make a fool of themselves whilst trying to cover System of a Down.
Petrucci is a much better guitarist than Gilmour (not denigrating Dave, just sayin).

Hah.
Call me Batman.
So, basically, I'm an asshat for asking.

No worries mate, won't happen again.
Maybe Petrucci didn't want to play what you want to hear?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
So, basically, I'm an asshat for asking.

No worries mate, won't happen again.
Thing is, DT's covers aren't exactly the same. Sure, same melodies, song structure etc. but there's different tones to things.

I'd rather have that than the other god-awful covers on Kerrang!'s Maiden Heaven. DT's cover of To Tame A Land was brilliant, mainly because they could play it properly.
Call me Batman.
Depends on the band, but maybe it's to show their appreciation for an influential bands work, or because the song is close enough to their style/sound to fit with what they're doing.

Of course there's also the whole "Too lazy to rework it, so sod it we'll just stick on a note-for-note copy and hope no one notices" reason
The Forum Poster Formerly Known As SmilingBob!

I'm Back